Page 104 of 148 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1474

Thread: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

WG, us old people still call them albums.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshGirl View Post
    I hope he includes video footage and puts it on YouTube or something. It's interesting he said "album." I know he's an analog man, but he must mean a CD, DVD, or some type of digital download.

About the setlist, I'm not seeing one--yet! It's still early. But here's one from the concert the day before at the winery.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-wa...a-bfc4916.html

See also: http://www.setlist.fm/stats/average-...html?year=2016

I don't believe his setlist varied much this year, except for the first few shows when he did Rosewood Bitters. But sometime in May, I believe, he replaced Rosewood Bitters with Everyday People.
    Everyday People is sung by Joe's backing singers so it may not make the cut for Joe's live album, however, you could probably fit a whole Walsh show onto a single CD, if you edited out the between song chat.

The set list, as you linked to, WalshGirl, will likely be the dozen or so, Walsh tracks, that he's sick of playing and I'm sick of listening to:

Walk Away
    Analog Man
    Everyday People
    Mother Says
    The Bomber
    Take It To The Limit
    Turn To Stone
    In The City
    Funk #49
    Life's Been Good
    Life In The Fast Lane
    Rocky Mountain Way

I hope it has enough intrigue to keep me interested. His last Live album was brilliant but it was such a long, long time ago.

I don't watch DVDs much but seeing the interest that the last few Eagles DVDs captured, I'd be very surprised and a little disappointed if it's an audio only release. I'd describe You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind as an audio experience in itself, rather than an accurate representation of a Joe Walsh concert from the mid seventies. I expect Joe's forthcoming live release to be more of a document of the current Joe Walsh concert experience, so maybe he'll leave some between song banter in and cut a track or two.

I'm looking forward to buying it, either way, hopefully this side of C*****mas
    Last edited by Funk 50; 09-16-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The set list, as you linked to, WalshGirl, will likely be the dozen or so, Walsh tracks, that he's sick of playing and I'm sick of listening to.

I hope it has enough intrigue to keep me interested. His last Live album was brilliant but it was such a long, long time ago.

I don't watch DVDs much but seeing the interest that the last few Eagles DVDs captured, I'd be very surprised and a little disappointed if it's an audio only release. I'd describe You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind as an audio experience in itself, rather than an accurate representation of a Joe Walsh concert from the mid seventies. I expect Joe's forthcoming live release to be more of a document of the current Joe Walsh concert experience, so maybe he'll leave some between song banter in and cut a track or two.

I'm looking forward to buying it, either way, hopefully this side of C*****mas
    I agree his setlist is a bit tired for many Walsh fans, who are familar with the body of his work. I'd prefer him to dig deep and bring out some old favorites, which, for me, include Indian Summer, At the Station, and All of the Sudden--to name a few!

That said, Walsh is excellent in concert, and even with his current setlist I feel a DVD would be exciting. Except for a few notable exceptions, fan videos on YouTube are generally fair-to-poor quality. A professional video is needed. And I've long lamented that Walsh and the other Eagles recorded so few of their concerts. It's as if they feel a DVD might compete with the live experience, which is not true IMHO. If anything, it makes you desire the live experience even more.

One last thing about the setlist, he probably needs to increase it rather than cut much from the current offering. Everyone expects him to play songs like Walk Away, Rocky Mountain Way, Turn to Stone, In the City, Life's Been Good, etc. (Of course, Henley might prefer if Walsh omitted Life in the Fast Lane. ) In fact, I was pleasantly surprised when Walsh included Mother Says in his current tour, for that song is a classic.

Speaking of You Can't Argue with a Sick Mind, wasn't this the audio version of the Walsh's DKRC, right before he joined the Eagles? I'd love to get that on video. The offerings on YouTube have nice audio, but poor video quality.
    Last edited by WalshGirl; 09-16-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    WG, us old people still call them albums.
    Well, many people still collect vinyl and love the sound!

I used to be all digital downloads; but this summer I got into collecting original master CDs and those SACDs (super audio CDs) of Joe's work. The sound is superior to ordinary downloads, like the ones on iTunes or Google Play.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well this is some exciting news to me. I would love to have this live album. Actually, I'd even more prefer a DVD since I don't think Joe's ever released an official video of a live concert. Seems like a great time to do it, IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well this is some exciting news to me. I would love to have this live album. Actually, I'd even more prefer a DVD since I don't think Joe's ever released an official video of a live concert. Seems like a great time to do it, IMO.
    Yes, I believe demand will be great!

With Glenn's sad passing, people are undoubtedly hungry for more music from the remaining Eagles. And, I hope, the remaining Eagles will do some type of remix of fan favorites for a new CD--or perhaps even a DVD of previously unreleased concert footage--in honor of Glenn.

Border Desperado

I bet it will be a DVD, cause he's been putting up video from each concert show. I saw Joe in Charleston last month and the show was fabulous. I'd love to see him pull out Pretty Maids all in a Row and Help Me Make it through e Night, two of my fave softies of Joe's

I saw a recent video interview with Joe that I was trying to locate. I found this pretty interesting. He is having a blast on this tour with this band. He said they are really jelling and getting better as they go.

He mentioned some bands practice and make sure they do it exactly the same way every time and he said, that was the Eagles way. On this tour though, he tells everybody he doesn't want them to do it the same way every time. He wants them to improvise and create new things as they play with him. It's really giving a lot of autonomy to everybody in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    I bet it will be a DVD, cause he's been putting up video from each concert show. I saw Joe in Charleston last month and the show was fabulous. I'd love to see him pull out Pretty Maids all in a Row and Help Me Make it through e Night, two of my fave softies of Joe's
    Music is too easy to download. And I believe DVDs are more profitable. Plus, people really love the concert experience!

Seeing Joe live must've been a thrill! His concert postings from last summer were fantastic. Oh, and I also love those two songs you've mentioned.

He mentioned some bands practice and make sure they do it exactly the same way every time and he said, that was the Eagles way. On this tour though, he tells everybody he doesn't want them to do it the same way every time. He wants them to improvise and create new things as they play with him. It's really giving a lot of autonomy to everybody in the show.
    Yes, I believe you are referring to the Sweetwater interview. I loved that interview, too. Encouraging autonomy and creativity in a band setting is definitely one of Joe's strengths as a musician. Conversely, I recall a few interviews where Joe stated he disliked being a boss. And so having a band that doesn't require close supervision is definitely in Joe's sweet spot!

Banned

This thread reminds me that Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, or a small portion of it, is what started my Walsh fandom in 1975. It was just the talk-box solo of Rocky Mountain Way, so I didn't know he sang and I wasn't even sure what instrument he was playing but I knew he was the band leader.

There was no MTV, no videos or internet so I never twigged that You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind was the same show until long after I'd bought it years later and played it many, many times.

I remember Joe being asked about the possibility of a new live CD/DVD a few years ago. He answered that it was unlikely as he wouldn't have time, with his Eagles commitments, to find a band and go through all the rehearsal process.

I was quite pleased that Joe still saw a distinction between live concerts, that he was constantly playing, and a live recording.
    A concert lasts as a memory from one viewing, a live recording has to stand up to continued viewing and is a document that will last forever. I love You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind and The James Gang Live In Concert from 1971.

If Joe still stands by those principles his live CD, should be fantastic and if it's also a DVD, I could be be 1975, Deja Vu all over again!

Anything , even half as good as You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind and The James Gang Live In Concert from 1971 will be a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    This thread reminds me that Don Kirshner's Rock Concert....
    I love, love that video. In my opinion, it is the best video of Joe's pre-Eagles concerts, though, as we know, he did join the group shortly afterwards. Wish DKRC would release the concert as a DVD, but there's some type of hang up that keeps the recordings from being released. I still enjoy the YouTube versions, but the quality is fair-to-poor.

I probably became enamored with Joe's talent from the Hell Freezes Over DVD, which I recall first seeing in the late 1990s. It also kindled my interest in the Eagles.

A concert lasts as a memory from one viewing, a live recording has to stand up to continued viewing and is a document that will last forever. I love You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind and The James Gang Live In Concert from 1971.
    That is an interesting and important distinction! You're so right that CDs and DVDs are documents to be enjoyed--but also analyzed. They are part of an artist's official body of work in a different manner than an unrecorded concert or jam session.

That said, although I recall my concert history, my memory could also use rebooting--which a live CD or, especially, a live DVD, would provide. (Ah, if only every concert I attended were available on DVD! )

I was quite pleased that Joe still saw a distinction between live concerts, that he was constantly playing, and a live recording....If Joe still stands by those principles his live CD, should be fantastic and if it's also a DVD, I could be be 1975, Deja Vu all over again!

Anything , even half as good as You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind and The James Gang Live In Concert from 1971 will be a real treat.
    Agreed!