Page 137 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1474

Thread: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

This was a huge thing for the band. It cannot be understated.

As I've always said - getting rid of Bernie Leadon and getting Joe Walsh in the band is the move that took them from being a well known country-rock band to being a full fledged hot rock and roll supergroup with a wider appeal to many more people. It was the move that put them into a whole new stratosphere of success. I always say - adding Don Felder was the start of it and a sign of things moving in the right direction for the Eagles, but Bernie leaving and getting Joe cinched it! Hotel California went on to be one of the best selling studio albums of all time (not including compilations or live albums). A true definition of masterpiece!

Happy Anniversary Joe!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, JOE!!!

In spite of many people doubting this move at the time, it sure turned out to be a brilliant decision for both you and the band!
    I have to say my husband and I were doubters, but sure glad they made that decision! Awesome move for him and the band!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I could see that some fans back then were concerned about it. I would have been, had I preferred their early works, it's understandable.

I guess if you like country music and soft rock, you would think getting rid of Leadon and adding a rock and roll bad@ss (lol, it has to be said!) would mean less quality in terms of harmony vocals and less depth to the music. For me, being a fan of only rock n' roll music (and other genres who sound like rock n' roll, lol), and a fan of mostly guitar focused bands - I think had I been around in 1975 I would have been elated. I'm not sure that I would have gone to see the band pre-Walsh. Certainly not pre-Felder. Just not my thing. The smooth crooning and deep lyricism don't move me the way double entendres and loud guitars do. And yeah, to be completely honest I think the harmonies did take a slight decline, but that's not why I liked them. I liked them despite their vocal strengths. To me that wasn't the draw. It was their overall sound.

That said, I think they proved the naysayers wrong. However, there are those who think to this day that they still don't like the later Eagles as much as the original 4. And that's fine. But for me, adopting a more rock sound with a pop sensibility is what drove me to them, not away from them. I think it's fine if someone prefers the original 4 vs the Felder/Walsh combination. But for me, with no disrespect to Bernie as he's a talented country musician, it was a big change for the better, for what I like to hear, and I think for what the masses like to hear. I think Take It Easy, despite being billed as a country song - has a lot of rock energy to it and a reckless abandon that you would later see develop into what became songs like Already Gone or Life In The Fast Lane. Witchy Woman was the precursor to One Of These Nights, by comparison.

Walsh or not - it was only a matter of time before they started shedding more of the country sound in favor of a more accessible radio-friendly AOR format. I think Glenn wanted to rock more. His persona fits that more of a bad boy rocker than a softly-voiced crooner. And Henley with his rasp just leant itself wonderfully to rock music. Someone once told me that Rod Stewart needed a cough drop, especially with the Faces and his first couple solo albums. I told them that would have been the end of his career. Leave the perfectly intonated voice to Barry Manilow or the Bee Gees (both I cannot stand, btw). That rasp made him great.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Joe to appear on new season of AXSTV’s Sammy Hagar’s Rock n Roll Road Trip show! I don’t have axs anymore man do I miss that channel 😞

http://www.axs.tv/press_articles/axs...et-530-p-m-pt/

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, I don't have it either and miss it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Joe tweeted yesterday! hasn't posted in quite some time!

He said to stay home be safe, and stay healthy, Love Joe
    (So sweet&#128522

He also posted regarding Dhani Harrison and The MaterialWorldFoundation raising funds during the pandemic.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeWalsh/...92207039172608

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for sharing this, KW.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

No prob! Dreamer.😊 always checkin what Joe is up to. Ha ha. Was a little worried with everything going on and he hasn’t posted in some time. I’ve spent countless hours surfing the web for pics, articles, etc. I saw a couple Of pics I haven’t seen before from the 80s when he was at a radio station with Rick “the bass player” and he was in shorts. And a few of him James Gang days backstage that I never seen before either, I knew I should’ve posted those when I saw them cuz now I can’t find them! Hoping they show themselves again. Funny how searches can be like that.

Sad article about John Entwhistle and Joe's last encounters with him and unsure what to do.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-...ohn-entwistle/

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is sad, KW. Thanks for posting it though. It makes you admire Joe even more for having the strength to overcome his demons.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016