Page 60 of 148 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

I think Analog Man is Joe's best work since the seventies! Yes, I enjoy LROOE more, but that doesn't mean Analog Man is an inferior piece of work. I think it's great.

I also agree LROOE would have been even better if it were more organically done, but it seems that at this point it's too difficult for them to get together for an extended period outside of touring. I'll take MP3 exchanges and "Eagle-ized" solo songs over nothing.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I love Analog Man, but I also agree that LROOE is an amazing album. I don't think LROOE has very much Joe in it. There is very little of that rockin guitar, & it looks like Joe wrote only one song on the whole double album, where there are several outside collaborators on that album. They are two completely different albums, so I can't even think of comparing them.

Joe's album is a bit more polished than his earlier work, but I think the music industry is just so much different than it was & he felt the need to go in that direction. Also there is the influence of Jeff Lynne on the album, but you can still hear the Joe we all know & love in that album.

I really wonder if the Eagles will actually do another album as a band. When you think about how LROOE was done, & how long it took to get that out there, I'm just not even sure that they will get together enough to do another one. They all seem to be in different places, both physically & musically that I just don't see it happening....Look at the solo albums each has done recently.. all in different directions. I would love for them to do new music, but the more I think about it, the less I see it happening.
    Frankly, I would be pretty shocked if it happens,!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's the first time that I know of where he's expressed criticism of Long Road Out of Eden for this. Before, he's always criticized music digitization in generalities.
    Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I knew that they had sent the files back and forth, etc.... but had not heard any of them actually criticize the way it was done.

I'm with Joe, seems like it would be so much more personal and easy to throw ideas off each other if you're all in a studio together around a microphone, harmonizing. Besides, it makes for a much "prettier" picture in our minds for us fans.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I feel the opposite. But different strokes for different folks. I like two songs from LROOE (How Long and Guilty Of The Crime). While I don't like every track on Analog Man, there are a lot more songs on there I really like. I admit that I wanted AM to be a bit more raw, less polished, and more like his earlier albums - but I still am glad he did the album and I think it has some great songs (Wrecking Ball, ODAAT, etc). LROOE for me I just don't connect with how "different" it is. It's hard to explain. Just like the title track. It just doesn't seem very Eagles to me. I do love How Long and Steuart did a great job with the lead guitar on it (love the SG Jr he uses on it), and GOTC is great too. I do like YANA too, but not as well as the other two.
    Only two songs? That is incredibly harsh.

In that case, I don't feel so bad about saying that there are only about 5 songs on Analog Man that I like. The rest of them are rehashes or just not very interesting songs. I try not to say much because I am obviously in a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Only two songs? That is incredibly harsh.

In that case, I don't feel so bad about saying that there are only about 5 songs on Analog Man that I like. The rest of them are rehashes or just not very interesting songs. I try not to say much because I am obviously in a minority.
    I'm not meaning that it's not a good album, it's just not my kind of music. Same with After Hours for me. It's a good album and the singing/playing is great, it's just simply not my type of music or the type of music I like to listen to. Doesn't mean it's not great or that it somehow is bad because I don't listen to it, it just means it's not my thing personally. I'm glad they put them out, they are great, but it's not the kind of music I'm into. I'd love for him to do a Motown covers album of songs like Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc. Now that stuff I can get into and I do love it. And as he said in the documentary, he grew up listening to that stuff on the radio. I'd love to hear him do songs like "My Girl", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", etc. I think it'd fit his voice in the right key.

FWIW, there are 6 songs on AM that I really like. There are 3 I never listen to. But that's enough for me to say it's a good album and it's a great thing he put it out. A new record from Joe that is all over the place or a mixed bag or not my type of music (which it is in this case mostly) is better than no new record from Joe, as far as I'm concerned. And much the same for the Eagles and any of their solo records.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Austin, I'm surprised you don't include Somebody in your likes from LROOE as it's more of a rocker than some of the others.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Austin, I'm surprised you don't include Somebody in your likes from LROOE as it's more of a rocker than some of the others.
    I like it, it's a bit too dark for me but it's a good song.

Still, I prefer How Long. Somehow my brain finds that song as a rocker. I think it's because it's so uptempo and the guitar licks compared to the 70s version.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm not meaning that it's not a good album, it's just not my kind of music. Same with After Hours for me. It's a good album and the singing/playing is great, it's just simply not my type of music or the type of music I like to listen to. Doesn't mean it's not great or that it somehow is bad because I don't listen to it, it just means it's not my thing personally. I'm glad they put them out, they are great, but it's not the kind of music I'm into. I'd love for him to do a Motown covers album of songs like Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, etc. Now that stuff I can get into and I do love it. And as he said in the documentary, he grew up listening to that stuff on the radio. I'd love to hear him do songs like "My Girl", "Signed, Sealed, Delivered", etc. I think it'd fit his voice in the right key.

FWIW, there are 6 songs on AM that I really like. There are 3 I never listen to. But that's enough for me to say it's a good album and it's a great thing he put it out. A new record from Joe that is all over the place or a mixed bag or not my type of music (which it is in this case mostly) is better than no new record from Joe, as far as I'm concerned. And much the same for the Eagles and any of their solo records.
    I don't wish to hijack Joe's thread but I always thought that if Glenn did a covers album he would in fact do Motown & Atlantic R&B. He has sung My Girl live. That's what people may have expected him to do. I am actually glad he didn't. After Hours wasn't 'my kind of music' either but once I heard it, I fell in love with it.

Saying that Analog Man is 'better than nothing' to me isn't a good enough reason to endorse it. Of course it's better than nothing. That goes without saying. But what about its actual merits?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't wish to hijack Joe's thread but I always thought that if Glenn did a covers album he would in fact do Motown & Atlantic R&B. He has sung My Girl live. That's what people may have expected him to do. I am actually glad he didn't. After Hours wasn't 'my kind of music' either but once I heard it, I fell in love with it.

Saying that Analog Man is 'better than nothing' to me isn't a good enough reason to endorse it. Of course it's better than nothing. That goes without saying. But what about its actual merits?
    FP, Analog Man was named Best Album of 2012 by Vintage Guitar.com

http://www.vintageguitar.com/hall-of-fame/

Also it was listed as one of the Top 10 albums of 2012 by Ultimate Classic Rock, (I will look for the related article & post it later) so the album did have some merit in the eyes of some rock critics. Once again, the thread has turned into being about Glenn! Seems that you come into every thread to praise Glenn. Can't anything be about anyone else in the band??? Any time anyone says anything nice about another band member, Glenn must be brought into the conversation. This thread is about Joe.We get it that you love Glenn, but some of us can discuss other band members without it being all about Glenn!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    FP, Analog Man was named Best Album of 2012 by Vintage Guitar.com

http://www.vintageguitar.com/hall-of-fame/

Also it was listed as one of the Top 10 albums of 2012 by Ultimate Classic Rock, (I will look for the related article & post it later) so the album did have some merit in the eyes of some rock critics. Once again, the thread has turned into being about Glenn! Seems that you come into every thread to praise Glenn. Can't anything be about anyone else in the band??? Any time anyone says anything nice about another band member, Glenn must be brought into the conversation. This thread is about Joe.We get it that you love Glenn, but some of us can discuss other band members without it being all about Glenn!
    It was Austin who brought After Hours into it & I gave a brief answer. How about you actually read the posts instead of just attacking me for no reason? I also did say that I did not wish to hijack Joe's thread, but I repeat, Austin brought it up. I answered what he said & then I returned to Joe.

OK?

Now; Some critics were very kind to AM. That does not mean I have to agree with them. I was not talking about critics' opinions of it but my own. I also said previously that I knew I was in a minority.