Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte, NC 1-14-09

Default Re: Charlotte, N. C.

Me and you both. But Glenn could always warm me up

Out on the Border

To Sodascouts: we asked for a refund and the venue stated that was not possible as it was a problem with Eagles production. In another local blog site a person stated that the Eagles decided not to use the arena sound system. Very disappointing.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

As for the comments from reviewers - since Glenn tries so hard to make people laugh with his corny jokes, I hardly think he'd object to it being noted that he provided comic relief. It's not as if the reviewer said that was ALL he did. As for Don being called a "prima donna" - the reviewer did take that back, so...

Let's lighten up while we still can, folks!
    Well said and glad to know I'm not the only one that felt that way. What a relief!

F41--Sorry to hear you had a bad experience the other night. That truly saddens me to know that someone went there and couldn't enjoy themselves, especially for that kind of $$.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, thanks for posting those reviews, DF. I particularly enjoyed Eric's perspective as a fan.

And F41 - welcome to The Border. I agree that it is a shame that the sound was so poor in Charlotte. I was at the show and Hampton, and the sound was exceptional. It's too bad the venue was not willing to refund your money. Maybe you can write the Eagles touring company to see if they will give you a refund. It may be worth a shot. Thankfully, this seems to be a rare exception, but I'm sure the band would not want lots of dissatisfied fans.

As far as the 'comic relief' and 'prima donna' comments by reviewers, I also agree with TBF and Soda. I don't think this particular reviewer was being that critical. Besides the guys have apparently willingly assumed certain roles during their live shows that reinforce these perceptions. It is a fact that one of Glenn's roles is to provide the comic relief during the show. He seems to embrace it, and I doubt that he would be offended by that comment in the least. As Soda said, no one is saying that all Glenn does is a stand up comedy routine. In any event, I'd bet that pretty much everything that reviewers and critics say about the band rolls right off their shoulders at this point. Our guys seem to be pretty comfortable with their roles these days. As a fan - if they're okay, I'm okay. Personally, the only time I have a big problem with reviews is when there is an unfair bias about the significance of one member's contribution over the others, or when a reviewer seems to just hate everything about the band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I'm afraid that yesterday that comment hit me hard, that's all. I don't believe Glenn gets very much credit for his singing or his stage presence or the fact that he co-wrote most of the songs. To me that just summed up the attitude of most reviewers. The jokes and the 'assisted living' stuff seem to be all they hear when he is involved. I don't know how often I have now seen 'assisted living' quoted in a review. All I want is for someone to say that he sang a song well. They don't have to say he was the standout or anything like that, because I know they won't. I just want more recognition of his talent than I believe he gets.

I don't like 'prima donna' either, DF.

Quote Originally Posted by flashone41 View Post
    To Sodascouts: we asked for a refund and the venue stated that was not possible as it was a problem with Eagles production. In another local blog site a person stated that the Eagles decided not to use the arena sound system. Very disappointing.
    Wow. I'm sorry to hear it. What a shame!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It's true that most of these reviewers pigeonhole the guys - it's like they all read the very first review and decided to draft their own after it. Wouldn't it be strange, for example, to read a review where Timothy rocked, Don was funny, Joe was stoic and Glenn is given credit for his vocals?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

lol PM! All four of those statements have actually popped up in reviews before - it's just quite rare! Like you said, it's easier for them to just pigeonhole. Most of these guys don't do much research about the band and they just use preconceived notions as the basis for the judgments.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I actually was thinking of writing a spoof review that contained all the cliches every written about the four members.

'Joe Walsh, the Clown Prince of Rock, stunned the audience with his goofy faces and guitar pyrotechnics. He was The Most Animated Eagle.

Timothy B. Schmit, with his Angelic High Voice, was the band's anchor.

Don Henley's Intensity and Political Commitment shone through in such classics as The Boys Of Summer (that's the song they always, and I mean always, have to mention).

Glenn Frey provided the Lighthearted Comic moments with his MC Duties' (now do you see what I'm getting at)?

This isn't very good, and I am sure someone could do a lot better than this.

Welcome from me as well F41. Shame about the sound at your concert. I agree with the others here that you should try to get a refund. We all know pretty well how much those tickets cost.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."