Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Elton John

Default Re: Elton John

Aw Maleah I think it's great that you have a new found appreciation for Elton from seeing him live. I'm like you were - I like some of his stuff but wouldn't consider myself a fan. But just from reading your review I have a new respect for him. Glad you had a good time.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Elton is definitely on my concerts to see bucket list! He is just amazing! And he has one of my favorite drummers -Nigel.

So glad you really enjoyed it. Curious--did you own any of his music and if not, do you plan to get some now? LOTS and LOTS to choose from!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Willie I loved Nigel! He was fun to watch because the camera man kept coming around behind the drums to focus on him and he would make faces into the camera and laugh. He seemed like he was really enjoying himself!

I had a couple of Elton songs....."Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" (which was one of my all-time favorite songs by ANYONE) and "Bennie and the Jets." I loved "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" but I never could remember the title of it. lol I love love LOVE Elton's voice on that. Vocally I think that's my favorite Elton era. I have literally listened to that song and the George Michael/Elton John verson of "Don't Let The Sun..." over and over and over again since the concert. I've been watching the latter's video on youtube and I get chills EVERY time Elton comes out and sings his verse.

As for whether I plan to get music or not.....my last itunes bill shows that I went a little crazy with almost $20 worth of purchases after the concert. LOL Any recommendations? I bought his "Rocket Man-Number Ones" cd so I'd have most of the big ones.

ETA: I REALLY hope he comes back to the US for another round of touring after this one is done because I will travel to see him again. He's in Minnesota early May but I want to get close seats this time. lol

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

One of my favorite Elton albums is Mad Man Across The Water which includes Levon, Tiny Dancer and the title track. It isn't chalked full of hits but it is a very worthy album.

I just looked at the track listing for Rocket Man: Number Ones. Pretty good selection but quite a few missing like Border Song, I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues and one of my faves, Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

I'd be hard pressed to list my favorites because they are continuously changing. I had actually forgot about the duet with George Michael of Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me and just checked and don't have it downloaded in my Itunes. Will need to correct that right away.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I have to say, I guess That's Why they call it the blues is my most favorite, followed by Don't let the sun Go down on Me and Tiny Dancer, but I love a lot of his songs.

LOL! I brought 3 CDs with me to play on the way to Moncton for the Jackson Browne concert & one of them was Rocket Man: Number Ones!

Stuck on the Border

In terms of albums you MUST have the following:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player
    Honky Chateau
    Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Elton John

From the later era I recommend:

Too Low For Zero
    The Captain & the Kid
    Jump Up!
    Songs From The West Coast
    The Union (with Leon Russell)

This is what I said my Top 10 songs were at the start of the thread:

1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    2. Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
    3. Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
    4. Your Song
    5. The Bitch Is Back
    6. Daniel
    7. Honky Cat
    8. I'm Still Standing
    9. Song For Guy
    10. Bennie & The Jets

I would probably stand by that but I would recommend the following 'deep' tracks:

This Song Has No Title
    Blues For My Baby & Me
    Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters
    Sartorial Eloquence
    Passengers
    Bitter Fingers
    Grimsby
    High Flying Bird
    I Want Love
    Grey Seal

There are so many! I could write about this stuff all day!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ien507T3Y[/ame]

High flying bird is very underrated IMO. Such a beautiful song.

Thanks for the advice ladies! I've already spent about $20 on itunes and purchased one album.......but I'm ready for more! I'm going to track down all the songs/albums you guys suggested!

Well FP, I have most of your song list that you provided now. lol I LOVE them.....awesome awesome songs. I want to start getting the entire discography though!

I don't know if any of you have watched this but A: I thought it was hilarious, and B: it's absolutely crazy how he can come up with a melody instantly like that!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974NJLvvjRU[/ame]