Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: President Barack Obama

Default Re: President Barack Obama

I have been watching the ceremonies and celebrations all day, and it has been amazing. The President's speech was one of the most inspiring inaugural speeches in recent memory. It was also quite a lovely moment when Beyonce sang Etta James' "At Last" for Barack and Michelle to take their first dance at the first ball. Beyonce's voice quivered with sincere emotion--very touching.
    So far I have watched Sting (sporting dark brown hair and a full beard- ?) sing "Brand New Day," and I just saw Jon Bon Jovi sing at another ball.

I support our new president and hope he will truly unite our nation and bring us out of this recession.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Had the TV on all day - very exciting. Didn't see much of the various Balls they went to in the evening but did catch a bit of The Prez being cozy with Michelle when they danced at the Youth Ball. Yep, he's one HOT Prez

You didn't miss anything by not seeing the balls. I watched footage of the Obamas from a couple of them until I realized they were all the same - the same talking points, even the same dance moves done to the same song (I love "At Last" but still). Kind of anti-climactic!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I thought the ball coverage was very boring. I hoped to see some of the performers and celebrities that were there. Most of it was commentary by the press and just a bit of the Obamas dancing. I checked several stations and that was it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I thought the ball coverage was pretty boring unless you watched the Daily Show with John Stewart... THAT was not boring hehehehe.. juvenile and tasteless, but not boring. *G*

Stuck on the Border

I did think it was fun at the Commander In Chief ball when they had some soldiers on a link from Afghanistan and he asked them all if they were Cubs or White Sox fans. The majority were Cubs and he's White Sox. (I was wearing my Chicago Bears T shirt at the time....)

One jarring note during the oath was when the Chief Justice said 'execute the office... faithfully' and Obama waited for him to correct himself (to 'faithfully execute') but he didn't and they talked over each other, so Obama seemed to just decide to repeat what he said. One person on a blog here wondered if the slip up meant there could be a 'challenge'.

I thought the speech was utterly inspiring, but I suppose I would. I loved it.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    One jarring note during the oath was when the Chief Justice said 'execute the office... faithfully' and Obama waited for him to correct himself (to 'faithfully execute') but he didn't and they talked over each other, so Obama seemed to just decide to repeat what he said. One person on a blog here wondered if the slip up meant there could be a 'challenge'.

I thought the speech was utterly inspiring, but I suppose I would. I loved it.
    Oath or no oath, at noon Mr. Obama beacme POTUS (President of the U.S.) It is mandated by the 20th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
    The next challenge occurs November, 2012.

Good Luck President Obama!

I didn't know who had it right and who had it wrong when I heard it on the big screen in DC...I just know that it was quite surprising! Earlier tonight I read on MSNBC that initially the Chief Justice said it incorrectly, and that when Obama paused, the Chief Justice corrected himself but that Obama repeated the incorrect version anyway. To play it safe, on Weds. afternoon, the two of them repeated that little ceremony in private with only a few onlookers, but no press. I guess that they just wanted to get it right!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I did think it was fun at the Commander In Chief ball when they had some soldiers on a link from Afghanistan and he asked them all if they were Cubs or White Sox fans. The majority were Cubs and he's White Sox. (I was wearing my Chicago Bears T shirt at the time....)
    This was almost a breaking point for my husband-didn't know if he could vote for someone that supported the Sox instead of our beloved Cubs.

BTW FP --I LOVE the fact you were wearing a Bears shirt!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

As refreshing as it is to have a younger person in office, they just don't dance as eloquently as the older guys, do they? I mean, he slow dances like I do (pretty badly). Seems like he would have gotten a few pointers beforehand, but I guess he was busy with other things!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.