Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compensated Endorsements

Border Desperado

Default Compensated Endorsements

In my most recent post in the band member section, I provided a couple of links about Joe walsh's endorsements of Carvin Guitars. It seems that Joe is not the only Eagle that is a Carvin Spokesman. I found this at the Carvin web site:

www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/03-basses.html

Border Desperado

Default Re: Compensated Endorsements

Additionally, I found the following link which includes an interview with Tim B. Schmit:

http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=127

Border Desperado

Carvin Guitars is also making a DVD available about their business. On the DVD they interview some of the Carvin Family of artists. The link to request a DVD is:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/freedvd/

And today, Joe Walsh is their featured player at:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/

After I filled out the request for the DVD and submitted it, Timothy B. Schmit popped up as their featured artists.

Apparently the people at Carvin guitars are astute business people. They see the value of exploiting a couple of our favorites on their site.
    Last edited by Just Another Hired Hand; 01-21-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling and typos

How is promoting a good guitar exploiting?

Border Desperado

One of the general meanings of 'exploit' or 'exploitation' is to use something for 'any' purpose. I meant that Carvin was using super stars like Joe Walsh and Tim Schmit for the purpose of selling guitars. Nothing negative is intended by it. I myself am doing research to buy a new guitar. This information came up in the course of my search. I figured I'd share it with fellow Eagles fans here on "The Border". I admire the Carvin people for their portrayals and featurings of JW and TBS.

Oh I see

I appreciate the research you're doing, JAHH, and you posting your findings. I didn't get any negative impression from your statements at all.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Actually, that entire concept of exploitation could be turned around 180 degrees.

Does anyone think that Joe and TBS are gaga over Carvin instruments? Maybe they are. They certainly can afford anything they want from any manufacturer or Custom Shop or Luthier alive today.

I'm betting that Carvin is lining Joe's guitar cases in a lot of GREEN Benjamin's! That ought to make it worthwhile which would mean that Joe is exploiting his reputation to further his financial interests.

But wait, how can both be exploiting? I think it's just a win-win situation. And the prospective buyers can get some entertainment as they research their prospective purchases. And the fact that stars like Joe actually use the equipment during tours as highly photographed as LROE certainly lends credence to the endorsement.

Now if they were endorsing TRASH, that would be a different story. But I doubt that you'd see Joe endorsing anything like that for any amount of money.

Just my two-cents and that's about what it's worth

MikeA

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Actually, that entire concept of exploitation could be turned around 180 degrees.

Does anyone think that Joe and TBS are gaga over Carvin instruments? Maybe they are. They certainly can afford anything they want from any manufacturer or Custom Shop or Luthier alive today.

By virtue of their reputation, I don't think they have to afford anything. I think they design, suggest or wish for an instrument and it appears.

Once again my "exploitation" of the word exploit has no negative connotations. Many years ago when I was a young business student studying marketing, we would train to "exploit" our well known spokes persons. I am "exploiting" this forum to make my point about using the word "exploit"!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

JAHH-Thanks so much for the link! I have a download of that picture but it's a lot smaller than that one! I have seen that interview about a gazillion times but still love to hear it.

As far as exploitation --I never took it that way either--for what's it's worth -which is really absolutely nothing!

Thanks again!
    He sings it high, he plays it low