Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite and prized vinyl collections!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Favorite and prized vinyl collections!

As a lot of you have gathered, I am a vinyl enthusiast. Tho I also love my cds and ipod, I cherish my old vinyl from years and years ago and my husband and several of our friends have a little vinyl "club" and we get together every Saturday evening when the weather is nice (above freezing and no snow!) on our patio and play all the vinyl we can till the wee hours of Sunday morning. We even take trips to various record stores that we find and record shows seeking new treasures.

I was just wondering how many of you still have old record collections or collect new and old stuff. Are there any artist or albums (other than Eagles stuff) that you collect or strive to find? What are some of your favorites and treasured vinyl? It looks to me like we might have a few fans of the vinyl according to the I Can't Stand Still thread.

I will start with a few of mine.

*Hubby and I literally have hundreds of albums, many from my childhood that are well worn and were loved and played often. Of course I have all the Eagles albums and am now working on 2nd copies of each for framing. Also have several solo works of course.

*I also have MOST of Sweet which is not an easy task because they are different all over the world and were extremely rare here in the US. I am lucky enough to have a friend in the UK that actually knows the guitarist and has provided me not only with the UK versions of several of their albums but autographed items from them also. Very prized they are to me.

*Something we just found out (and I don't know why I didn't know this!) is that the album In Through The Out Door by Zeppelin that came in a brown paper wrapper (which everyone knew) but under those wrappers were actually 6 different album covers with different fronts and backs and perspectives of how the individuals on the cover were looking at the scene, meaning there are 12 different pictures in all. We are on the hunt for all 6 covers. We only have 2 so far but will check the record show in 2 weeks to see if we can find any more.

*Larry's prized album is the Skynyd album Street Survivors with the flames. The album was printed up with the band standing in a line and flames shooting out of the tops of some of the members heads. Shortly afterwards is when they had the plane crash and those members were killed by burning to death. They reissued the album same cover minus the flames.

*About a year ago-hubby went to the attic loft and came down with a HUGE box of my old 45s, hundreds and hundreds of them. At the bottom of the box were the little yellow adaptors for the middle of the record so I have been able to play them. Some of them are so obscure because we had a little grocery store that used to have a bin of jukebox cutouts that you could buy for 25 cents each. Every week my allowance went to those.

This can be an expensive or cheap hobby-all depends on how much you want to put into it. I tend to spend more money on some artists than others (hmm-I wonder who ) But we really have fun with it and has brought several hours of cheap fun with us and our friends!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Favorite and prized vinyl collections!

Willie! what a fun idea! I can tell you, back in college I had a HUGE vinyl collection and, as short sighted as I was back then, I sold most of them for nearly nothing. BUT! I have been recollecting a lot of vinyls in the last year or so.

~ On Ebay I purchased a collection of 11 albums that included 5 Eagles and 6 Jackson Browne. They're all in excellent condition and I have been having fun with those.

~I inherited HALF of my sisters vinyls (Jenni TOOK the other half, the ungrateful wretch *G*) which consisted of several Elton John's, a Three Dog Night and a Heart, but best of all *G* Five Beatles Albums, The White Album, Abby Road, Let It Be, Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, Revolver, and Hard Days night. Also, John Lennon's, Imagine.

~I raided my parents albums as well and came up with Billy Holiday,Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and some other Jazz greats.

~ My Grandfather had a record making machine (whatever they're called) He was a builder/real estate guy during the depression and took this in trade. He made several recordings over the years. They're old steel albums and pretty worn and mostly my Dad and his sister when they were little, being silly, but he recorded some famous speeches and events off the radio too! I don't know exactly what's there, but Dad's always said the MLK speech and A Kennedy Speech were there. I don't know what else. I have an adjustable speed turntable now, so maybe I can grab them and see. OH and I have my grandpa's Al Jolson collection *G*

There are a lot others but these are my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post

~ My Grandfather had a record making machine (whatever they're called) He was a builder/real estate guy during the depression and took this in trade. He made several recordings over the years. They're old steel albums and pretty worn and mostly my Dad and his sister when they were little, being silly, but he recorded some famous speeches and events off the radio too! I don't know exactly what's there, but Dad's always said the MLK speech and A Kennedy Speech were there. I don't know what else. I have an adjustable speed turntable now, so maybe I can grab them and see. OH and I have my grandpa's Al Jolson collection *G*
    How cool is this!! Can you still use that thing? I would love to tinker with something like that some day. I hope you can get a chance to hear them. What history there!

I'm all kinds of excited because our friend Chris got a recordable turntable for Christmas. We can now actually record our albums and download them to our Itunes and Ipods. I'm seriously thinking about investing in an adaptor that will also record cassettes or whatever else. I still think nothing sounds as good as vinyl tho!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

It sounds like you are having a great time with your vinyl, TBF! My husband and I also do the patio thing in the summer, but we play our cds.

We have all of our old vinyls, but alas, no record player. I keep meaning to buy one, just haven't done it. I've read about the record/cd/cassette player/recorders and would like to get one so we could play them.

I have 2nd copies of some of the Eagles albums which I have framed, too. I'm hoping to find all of them. Hubby just looks at me and asks "why do you want those?" He just doesn't get it! He loves music and lots of the old stuff, just would rather hear it in cd quality. So, collecting Eagles vinyl is probably as far as I'll take it.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

The only vinyls I have are Fleetwood Mac and Eagles-related. My treasures are the signed Longbranch Pennywhistle LP and the signed Buckingham Nicks LP (by Lindsey, not Stevie)! I also have a rare picture disc of Fleetwood Mac's "Silver Springs" and a Buckingham Nicks single, also very rare.

I have a record player that can be hooked up to the computer and I LOVE it! That's how I have the Longbranch Pennywhistle LP up on GFO, and "Get You in the Mood" from the Eagles' "Take It Easy" single (it was a B-side). Neither of those are out on CD.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

As you all have seen in the memerabilia thread, I've got all of the Eagles ablums. Although, I don't have the one with Please Come Home For Christmas and Funky New Year. That's the next one that I'll be looking for. There's a record store in Oklahoma City where I got most of my record albums. My mom gave me some of hers that she had. I'll have to go back and look but I do remeber that she gave me one of Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, and Phil Collins. I also have one in there that she bought for my older brother when he was a kid. It's the Ghostbusters soundtrack.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Here's my collection of albums on vinyl:
    Eagles: Desperado, On The Border, One Of These Nights, Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975, Hotel California.
    My parents let me have them.
    Solo: The Allnighter - My aunt Sarah let me have her old copy of it. She also said that if she could find her copy of Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks I could have it.
    Non Eagles: I have one of the Doobie Brothers but I can't remember which one. I also have Deja Vu by Crosby Stills Nash And Young. I'm hoping my aunt Sarah will be so kind and let me have her copy of Endless Summer by The Beach Boys. My aunt Linda gave me her original copy of Meet The Beatles but she didn't have the cover for it. She also gave me her copy of Love Songs by the Beatles.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?

I have a very eclectic collection of vinyl and probably couldn't come close to listing it without taking an afternoon and sorting them out. I know I have the James Gang platters. Most of Fleetwood Mac both before and during the association with Nicks and Buckingham. Some Zep. Doobies. Boston. Kansas. Peter Paul and Mary. CSN&Y. Buffalo Springfield. Yes. A couple of Beatles (Abby Road and White and Rubber Soul and maybe Sgt Peppers). Several of the outlaw albums (Waylon, Willy, Hank Jr.) Melanie. Jewel. Joplin. Hendrix.

Basically, I never trashed an album and never sold one. However, after Verna and I hooked up, I gave several to my niece who babysat our kids a lot. Unfortunately, those that I gave to her are now long gone.

Okay, you have the vinyl and you listen to them on the patio. Do you anything else with them? If you still have a turntable you can buy a cheap little turntable amp that you can plug into and run the output to your line-in on your sound card. It's simple from that point to "rip" the vinyl to any digital format that your capture program can handle.

There is "Audacity" which is a freeware program that will record and save ripped sessions into virtually any format you wish (MP3 WAV etc....but not WMP...Microsoft has not released that format nor has Apple released MPEG4).

Once you have them captured, you can go back in with Audacity or even EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and actually "remaster" them to a degree. I say to a degree because they will not be "better than new" no matter how careful you are. But if there are obnoxious "pops" you can isolate those and remove them pretty much as simple as doing a cut and paste operation on a Word Document.

I took my James Gang albums, or some of them, and cleaned them up using a Discwasher and a Vac-u-rec and ripped them. After all of that, I can tell virtually no difference between them and a new vinyl recording (if you could find a new vinyl platter anywhere! Though I think the Eagles did release a vinyl version of some packages of LROE). Of course, I was a fanatic in protecting my vinyl when it was the only format. I would play each album one time to "clean the grooves" and then a second time to record it to cassette tape or on a reel to reel recorder and then put it back in the sleeve and didn't touch it again unless something happened to the recording. Consequently, most of my albums are in good shape as far as audio quality.

For a long time, it was difficult to find most of the vinyl in a CD format so being able to burn those old platters off onto CD was a real Godsend! You might think about doing that if you get bored. I assure you that "remastering" the vinyl will keep you off the streets and out of the poolhalls. It is a very tedious process.

MikeA

Thanks for the advice Mike, but remember, I am the one that had to have help with the calendar thing!

I think the thingy you are talking about is what I have been thinking of buying. I found one by Ion on their website for around $50.00. Chris's recordable turntable is also an Ion and easy to use. When we went to places like Best Buy and Circuit City, that seemed to be the brand they had the most often.

The whole patio thing, I have a little story about. We have the $10.00 console that Larry bought at a yard sale that started the whole "Saturday Night Vinyl Club" thing hooked up in the garage and him and a couple of our friends built "better" cabinet speakers for it that we can pull out onto the patio. When the weather started getting bad, we brought the speakers in and hooked them into our lazer turntable and receiver. Of course, this receiver has a lot more power than that old console, so on the first Saturday night we moved everything inside, those speakers got blown. So we hooked up another spare set that we had and they were also blown by the end of the night. We ended up going out and buying new speakers AND a new receiver that wouldn't blow out the speakers. (Side note: the later in the evening and the more alcohol that gets consumed, the louder the volume gets turned up-that is when the speakers have a tendency of blowing Do you know how hard it is to find woofers and such anymore? Not an easy task without spending a truckload of money! Of course, the guys are now talking about "rebuilding" the patio speakers once again for springtime.

Another reason I love albums is because the artwork is so much bigger and you get liner notes, gatefolds, etc... While going thru my albums, about 50% of them had magazine articles, posters and stuff like that I had stashed in the album cover. You couldn't cut things out of magazines and stash them in a cd case.

BTW-Mike, I wish I would of taken the care you did with your albums. Mine are very obviously "loved" and were played alot. And yes--LROOE was also put out on vinyl and I got it for Christmas. I mentioned in another thread that when I opened it and played it that the labels were mixed up and on the wrong disc. Pretty cool!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

My hubby has a large collection of LP's, ranging from classical to Jimi Hendrix, but he rarely plays them now. I used to have quite a few but (like a fool) gave them away when I moved to US. I do remember I had all the Monkees LP's - yep, I was a BIG Monkees fan