Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New book by Susie and Joe Vitale

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: New book by Susie and Joe Vitale

Welcome to my world, Mike. I've had the book for several months now, and still have not gotten around to reading it. I've started it about three times, but haven't made it past page 50 yet!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer, are you having trouble keeping interested or are you just too busy? (Wondering if I should get it.)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh no, PM - I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I think the book will be very entertaining if I could just find the time to read it. As I always say, I hate it when real life gets in the way of what's important. lol

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, I ordered Backstage Pass yesterday from Amazon. Looking forward to getting it!
    ~ Cathy ~

Finally read the last of the Asimov "Foundation" series...the Second Foundation Trilogy...kind of funny: That original "trilogy" ended up being 9 novels!

So, now I'm reading "Backstage Pass". I had no idea that Joe Vitale and Joe Walsh built a studio in Nederland, Colorado.

It struck me because several years ago (2004 or 2005 or possibly 2206 I think) I went on a motorcycle tour with some guys from around here who were meeting up with the MTA (Motorcycle Touring Association) in Estes Park. My objective on that tour was to visit the park where Joe had the children's fountain set up as a memorial to Emma.

The memorial is located in a park in the northwest area of the Boulder metropolitan area. After finally finding that park and the fountain, three of us took off on a canyon ride that took us through Nederland. In fact, we stopped there for lunch. I had no idea that Joe (either Joe) was connected to that town in any way!

What I do know is that the drive from Boulder to Nederland takes you down a very twisty canyon road with those trademark rushing streams right by the highway. It is Navarna to a motorcyclist...especially one who tends to overcook the turns! Quite an adrenalin rush to be on a cruiser and enter a hairpin turn about 20 or 30 mph too fast! I drug parts on that motorcycle that should NEVER come into contact with the pavement! When we pulled over in Nederland to catch our breath and talk about the scenery....well, it took me 5 or 10 minutes before I could even TALK! Heartrate was about double where is should have been! I'd love to do it again!

That canyon ride is only 16 miles long, but look at the map of that road I've attached!
    Attached Images Attached Images

MikeA

This book is a "Must Read" folks. It's like a breath of fresh air after all of the "other" Rock and Roll books I've read. I'm half-way through it and the closest thing to a "sex scene" is mention of one of the rockers (Steven Stills I think but don't quote me) who striped down and took a shower in his own dressing room while Joe and Susie were in the room with them backstage.

The only mention of drugs so far was that of fans at a concert who were being tended at a first aid tent.

It's just a very uplifting book that emphasizes the up-side of the life Vitale lived. It may change in the last half of the book, but leave that without speculation at this point.

What gets to me is the number of artists that Joe has recorded with! Unbelievable! Some of you may have heard of Phil Keagey. He was in the Kent area when Joe Walsh was there (and I learned from the book that Walsh was actually arrested and jailed the night before the students were shot during the riots! He was arrested simply because he was sitting out on the porch of his residence at the time when all students had been ordered by the military to STAY INSIDE!)

Anyway, back to Keagey. Phil is one of the most phenomenal guitarists I've ever heard. Back in the late Sixties, Phil formed a Psychedelic band called "Glass Harp". But before they made it "big" Phil had a life-changing religious experience. I don't recall what it was, but he completely divorced himself from secular music and devoted all of his time and talents to nothing but inspirational music.

It was my pleasure back in the 90's to accompany another musician friend of mine (Rob Loren, who toured with Ray Price as his violinist), to a concert that Phil was doing at a College Town between Wichita and Salina. I was to met Rob, who had gone out to dinner before the concert with Phil and another Dr. friend who was responsible for bring Phil to the College. The Dr is a guitarist of some merit in his own right and Rob, the Dr. and I had played together before during Praise services.

Anyway, I got to the college a little early in order to greet Rob and our Dr friend and when they pulled up, I was surprised to see Phil in the car with them. I met Phil and talked with him a bit and then helped him lug his equipment into the assembly hall at the College and helped him get it set up and listened to his sound check. Quite an experience!

Phil performed that night with nothing but an acoustic guitar, a looping sequencer, and his amazing voice. Phil is a very small guy. Likely no more that 5' 5" tall. He has a missing finger on his right hand that was pinched off by one of those old antique water pumps that have long handles. It doesn't effect his playing in the least! And his voice...It can hit notes that are completely off the charts!

There is a story told by Ted Nugent (who by the way, though rocker through and through, never did drugs, never drank and didn't smoke!) that tells of Ted trying to get Phil to teach him some lick on the guitar that Ted wanted to learn. The only way Phil would teach him the lick was if Ted would let Phil "witness" to him. Ted learned the lick!

There are several mentions of Phil Keagey in Joe Vitale's "Backstage Pass".

MikeA

I finished the book today! You don't come away from this book feeling like you have just read the definitive work on Rock-n-Roll Gods. But you do come away feeling like it was NOT a complete age of catastrophe.

And the things that were "explained" about Walsh that we didn't know the background for....like the "How Ya Doin" trademark of Joe's! OR maybe you didn't know that Joe Vitale is Lucy Walsh's Godfather!

Of the pranks "They" (They meaning Vitale along with plenty of accomplices!) pulled, I don't even want to mention for fear it will take away from the pleasure you will get when you read the book.

I loved it! And hey, go to Joe's MySpace joevitaleondrums. He's sorta good. <LOL> And his son Joe Jr. has it together too!

MikeA

My book arrived yesterday - I'm up to chapter three!
    ~ Cathy ~

I'm gonna have to get this book!

~Tonja~

I've attempted to scan in some pages from the book Hope it works!

~ Cathy ~