Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Sirs?

Border Desperado

Default No Sirs?

Hey all! I was downloading one of my fav Songs, Eric Clapton - It's in the way that you use it (In those Days I liked to think of me as Cruise, these Days- I'm into Newman's part LOL )... and came to me the idea of Sir Eric... Is he? I know we have Sir Elton, Sir Paul, Sir John Lennon right? How many are already? Are Harrison, Starkey, Clapton, Page, Gilmour, Mercury, May in the Club?

And main: In the USA, What should they name Don, Joe, Glenn?
    Chiefs?
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Default Re: No Sirs?

Um How about Bedwarmers?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelongrun View Post
    Hey all! I was downloading one of my fav Songs, Eric Clapton - It's in the way that you use it (In those Days I liked to think of me as Cruise, these Days- I'm into Newman's part LOL )... and came to me the idea of Sir Eric... Is he? I know we have Sir Elton, Sir Paul, Sir John Lennon right? How many are already? Are Harrison, Starkey, Clapton, Page, Gilmour, Mercury, May in the Club?

And main: In the USA, What should they name Don, Joe, Glenn?
    Chiefs?
    Eric has a CBE. He isn't knighted and the late John Lennon and George Harrison were not knighted. I believe Brian May has a CBE, the same as Robert Plant, who was given one this year. Mick Jagger has a knighthood. Gilmour has a CBE. Sting has a CBE. Jimmy Page has an OBE. Bono, who is an Irish citizen, has an honorary knighthood. A lot of British rock stars tend to be given honorary degrees from universities in lieu of being given 'honours'. Mark Knopfler has one from the University of Sunderland and I think Page has one from Sussex.

Perhaps someone from the United States could fill us in on anything the Eagles could be awarded. I know that Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend were recent recipients of Kennedy Centre honours.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Um How about Bedwarmers?

ooh EL thats a good one hehe

auntmeda:}

Thanks Mel I thought so too

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

FP--I'm slow Can you tell me what all those initials mean? This is a really interesting topic to me. I would love to hear more.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    FP--I'm slow Can you tell me what all those initials mean? This is a really interesting topic to me. I would love to hear more.
    You read my mind . I was thinking the same thing.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm not familiar with all those terms that FP mentioned either. However, I do know that we have no equivalent of British knighthood here in the U.S. since we do not have a royal family. We do have various citizenship and honorary awards and medals that can be presented by Congress or the President, but none of these are accompanied by a title such as "sir" or "dame".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I should have spelt it out in detail.

There are several grades of knighthoods. The most basic one, which rock stars would be given, is KB, Knight Bachelor. There are also various orders of knighthood, such as the Garter, Bath and Thistle (for Scotland). If you are a knight or a dame you are 'sir' or 'dame' as Dreamer said.

For our purposes after knighthoods comes CBE (Commander of the British Empire), OBE (Order of the British Empire) and MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire). The Beatles were given MBES, and that is what Ringo Starr is. You can't 'call' yourself anything with these honours. You just have the letters after your name and the ribbon or medal designating the honour.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks FP--very interesting stuff. I wonder if there is a list somewhere of all those honours and who has received them.

This is a great topic in my opinion, very interesting. Thanks tlr, for bringing it up.
    He sings it high, he plays it low