Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jonny Lang

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Jonny Lang

Awesome concert last night. 3 bands, Moreland & Arbuckle from Wichita, KS (need to ask Mike about them) were openers and just fantastic, Robert Cray and then Jonny. Total of 4 hours of music. What a bargain for $49.00. Jonny mixed it up with some old and some new (didn't play I Believe which really surprised me). He did an acoustic version of Lie To Me and then switched guitars mid way and finished it up plugged in which was pretty cool. He tends to stretch out some of the songs and you could tell some people were not real happy with that part. There were shouts every once in awhile from people throughout the audience of "play the blues" or "come on Jonny" because he would start getting into the "gospel mode" I guess is how I should put it and you could tell most were there for the "blues Jonny" not the "gospel Jonny". All in all it was an amazing performance and with our seats right up next to the stage we got to see every facial expression (& he sure makes a lot of them) he did.

Robert Cray was fantastic also and the bass player (a Bob Marley clone) was a crack up and started playing around with my daughter during a couple of songs by making faces/eyes at her and dancing around in front of her etc. I sat on Larry to keep him still and the people around us were cracking up but Katie being Katie, ate it up.

The opening act was a group of 3 guys, a guitarist, a singer/harmonica player and a drummer, named Moreland & Arbuckle. They were really awesome and I am definitely going to look into a cd. I meant to grab one last night after the show because they were selling them but forgot to. Mike, if you read this, you need to check them out when they are back in your area. You might even know who they are locally.

A few pics that aren't to bad I will also post. Most didn't turn out because Jonny just moves around way to much.

Oh yeah, while Katie & I were in the 3 shirt line (which only cost $10.00 a piece btw) Larry wondered around a bit. When were done, he told me he had something he had to show me. Get this...

Good find Larry!!!
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 11-15-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moreland & Arbuckle

Robert Cray Band

Too cool, Willie!! It sounds like you had a blast, and for four full hours...what a bargain (including the T's!!) I have even heard of Robert Cray, though not of the first band, but I take your word for it that they were good, too. Your pix turned out wonderfully! I bet your daughter was in heaven! One question...what type of venue was it that they had showcases of R&R memorabilia??
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well Willie, guess what? My hubby has just discovered Jonny Lang! He heard Lie To Me on the radio and just had to have it downloaded. And I really like it too.

Can you suggest any more songs of his we might like? I read a bit about him on Wiki and I guess he's in to gospel now, but he was at Eric Clapton's Crossroads last year, so maybe he still does blues, too? Unbelievable that he was what, 14 when he recorded LTM?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke's hubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lie To Me is the one that started it all for me also. I can actually still remember the first time I heard it--one morning on my way to work right after it was released. I was in awe from that point forward. He was 14 when his first album was released (had actually only been playing guitar about 2 years at that point) but Lie To Me was actually released when he was 16 (recorded at age 15). One of the 1st articles I ever read about him referred to him as the "16 year old with a voice of a 30 year smoker".

Here's my list of some of my favorites....

Still Rainin'
    I Am
    Paint It Black
    Groundhog Day
    The Levee
    Rack 'Em Up
    Matchbox
    A Quitter Never Wins
    Dying To Love
    Breakin' Me
    Hit The Ground Running
    Darker Side
    Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
    Angel Of Mercy
    Back For A Taste Of Your Love
    Red Light
    Long Time Coming
    Thankful
    I Believe
    Santa Claus Is Back In Town

He has done TONS of duets with people like Joss Stone, Buddy Guy, Edgar Winter, Susan Tedeschi.

If you're looking for whole albums, Lie To Me and Wandering This World are your best bet. They were before he went gospel.

Let me know how you like them after you get a chance to check some of them out.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks! We'll see what we can find!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Willie, there is a Dire Straits song called Angel of Mercy. It isn't the same song, is it?

(I imagine that Paint It Black & Good Morning Little Schoolgirl are the songs I think they are).

FP--different Angel of Mercy but same Paint It Black (does a GREAT job at it) and same Good Morning Little School Girl--this one's really good also, especially when you consider he was 15 when he recorded it.

Check this out---16 here doing Good Morning Little Schoolgirl!! I get chills!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF5JU28Ilhw[/ame]

Paint It Black

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl994vOy2Oo[/ame]

This is an old blues tune also. One of my faves. Not only his voice but listen to the guitar work here!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-Qov92W00[/ame]

This is my favorite Jonny song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlVzniEgOjQ[/ame]

Him and Buddy Guy when Jonny was 16.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrmdgfsEkCw[/ame]

Doing Crossroads with Cyndi Lauper. He appeared on 2 songs on her newest album which is a blues album.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIovpD0TfI[/ame]

I could do this all day. He's so amazing. Do a Jonny Lang search on YouTube. He has done so much with other artist also. Last summer he was on tour with a bunch of other artists for the Hendrix Experience, he's worked with some of the best Bluesmen in the world, etc.... Check it all out.

Gotta love Jonny! His gospel stuff is actually good too. My favorite off of his gospel album is actually the most stripped down one, Only A Man. Very mellow, peaceful, and moving I think.

Of his regular stuff my fav.'s are:
    Lie To Me
    Still Raining
    Walking Away
    Red Light
    Dying To Live
    Angel of Mercy
    Breakin' Me
    I Believe
    I Am

I LOVE his cover of When Love Comes to Town with Joss Stone too!

ETA: I also LOVE his cover of Stevie Wonder's "Living For The City!" Which Stevie must also love since he DID request Jonny to play it at his Songwriter's HOF induction.