Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Australian Bushfires

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Australian Bushfires

Thanks to everyone for their comments. What this has brought out is the old Australian notion of 'mateship' i.e. sticking together as a community and helping out. There were entire towns that were wiped off the map, but already the homeless are saying they will rebuild. There are concerns the death toll will reach 300 as the fire services and police sift through the rubble.

As for the arsonists there are a couple of suspects, but even if they are caught, murder would be very hard to prove. You have to have intent, i.e. you knew when you lit that match that you were going to kill someone. They can claim they didn't know the winds would blow that particular direction.

I've been watching this with horror and great sadness. As TBS said, it just seems unthinkable. My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with everyone who has been affected. It will take a long time, and I know it won't be easy, but I wish Australians all the strength they need to rebuild their communities after this tragedy.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I too wish everybody who has been affected by these bush fires the strength and courage to pick up the pieces of their lives and rebuild them in as much as they can.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Keith and Nic are helping the victims:

http://www.cmt.com/news/news-in-brie...bushfire.jhtml

CMT News
    Keith Urban, Nicole Kidman Donate $500,000 After Australian Bushfire
    February 12, 2009
    Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman have donated $500,000 to the Red Cross following an Australian bushfire that has killed 181 people and destroyed more than 1,000 homes, the BBC reports. The couple appeared via satellite link during an Australian telethon to raise money for the country's Red Cross. Kidman offered her condolences "for the people who have been struck so devastatingly by this disaster." Urban added, "Our hearts go out tonight to all the families that are dealing with the loss of loved ones and having to rebuild their lives again."
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten