Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Default Movies

Managed to catch the movie 'Milk' last night with Sean Penn playing Harvey Milk. I highly recommend the movie. Sean Penn is great and the supporting actors are really top notch too. There is a documentary on Harvey Milk (which we recently rented) and if you watch it you can tell that Sean Penn is spot on in his rendition of him.

Also caught 'The Wrestler' with Mickey Rourke. That is also a good movie (although I liked 'Milk' a little better). Mickey Rourke puts in an excellent performance.

Default Re: Movies

I know some of you don't like scary movies, and generally I don't either, but I do occasionally watch them. For example, I do enjoy the Saw movies, because the storyline is interesting in some of them.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago Hubby picked the movie The Strangers to watch. Have any of you seen it? Oh my gosh! I watched the whole movie through my fingers and became nauseous and physically trembled throughout the whole movie! It wasn't that gory - it was just very suspenseful! Never before has a scary movie got to me like that!

I thought it was just me, but when I went to work the next day I asked around and everybody who had seen it felt the same way!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I rarely go to the movies anymore, but those look good. I liked WALL*E that came out last year, but haven't seen much of note since. That Mall Cop movie looks funny - I may try to check that out.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I tend to go for Gory movies myself. I really want to see Sweeney Todd, if it ever comes out on DVD, I believe Johnny Depp outdid himself.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I tend to go for Gory movies myself. I really want to see Sweeney Todd, if it ever comes out on DVD, I believe Johnny Depp outdid himself.
    Sweeney Todd was released on DVD last year. Good movie, and if you love the gore you'll love Sweeney Todd.

I highly recommend The Reader. I saw it last night and have had it on my mind off and on all day. Good acting all around and Kate Winslet was just astounding.

I'm hoping to see Milk before Oscar time but if not, the DVD release is next month. Sean Penn has been one of my favorites since his pre-Fast Times at Ridgemont High days in Taps (with Timothy Hutton and a young Tom Cruise).

Quote Originally Posted by tbsfan View Post
    Sweeney Todd was released on DVD last year. Good movie, and if you love the gore you'll love Sweeney Todd.

I highly recommend The Reader. I saw it last night and have had it on my mind off and on all day. Good acting all around and Kate Winslet was just astounding.

I'm hoping to see Milk before Oscar time but if not, the DVD release is next month. Sean Penn has been one of my favorites since his pre-Fast Times at Ridgemont High days in Taps (with Timothy Hutton and a young Tom Cruise).

I'll have to check out Walmart for it.

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

My favorite scary movie is the Changling with George C Scott. It's an old movie and I don't see it on TV to much. No blood and guts but just small things that make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbsfan View Post

Thanks for 'The Reader' review I have been wanting to get to that one

I have seen The Reader and I completely agree with TBS - it's a wonderful film, brilliantly acted and quite moving. I'm yet to see Milk, but I want to. I'm a big Sean Penn fan. I'd also recommend Frost/Nixon. I saw it last week and loved it. Again, the acting is fantastic all round.

As for scary films, I'm a bit of a horror freak too. The Changeling is fab! Subtle, creepy, suspenseful, psychological films affect me much more than movies with bucketloads of gore.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Last night we watched Gran Torino starring Clint Eastwood. I have not watched that many of his movies, but this was a good one. When the final credits started rolling hubby said that he read that Clint said this would be his last film. All of a sudden tears rolled down my cheeks as I realized that another great actor from my generation is 'getting up there' and will no longer be making movies. I would recommend this movie to anyone if you haven't seen it yet.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.