Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Movies

Melanie- I totally get it!! My son was like that but he was reading the books as they were coming out so it was the countdown for the books. I always preordered them to be delivered on the day they came out. He would read them front to back in 2 days time, wouldn't sleep and only ate finger food so he wasn't interrupted. Then he would reread them slower a week or so later. He read the very first HP book the summer he turned 11 and he was spending the week at his Aunt & Uncles on the lake. He called me on his birthday (his first ever away from home), which is JULY 31st, same as Harry's and had just gotten to the part in the book where it was Harry's birthday also, and Harry was also turning 11. He was so excited that he had the same birthday and was the same age as Harry and was actually reading about it on his birthday. I'll never forget that.

It's still a tradition, even tho he'll be 21 next month and my daughter is 18, that the 4 of us all go together to see the movies. He comes home from college now on the weekend it opens, so we can do it. Can't believe the movie coming up will be the last one.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Willie, that is sweet that you and your kids do this together.

I have tried to get in to HP. I tried to read the first book. I managed to get through the first two movies on dvd, but it hurt! I don't know, they just don't interest me. My son (2 loves the movies and has them on dvd and can't understand me not liking them. I don't understand it either!

But I'm glad you all like them! lol
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I have several friends who are into HP and I've tried to get into it, too, but it just isn't working for me. It's not that I hate it or anything - it has interesting elements - it just never engaged me the way it has so many people.

The same is true for the Twilight series - I have lots of friends who love it, but I haven't been able to get into it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

I thought it was just me! HP & Twilight saga are so popular -- but its like the DaVinci code. People were raving about it so I forced myself to read half of it and could not bring myself to finish. Oh well . . . . Different strokes.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm the same with the Twilight series. I just don't get it I guess! Maybe they are just too unbelievable for me.

Now I did like the first Pirates movie, but haven't felt compelled to watch the rest. I do think Johnny Depp is adorable though!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Willie, that is such a sweet memory of your son about his 11th birthday.

I read the books as they came out and pre ordered (most times). I remember being gutted one time when my book took 2 days to arrive after the release. I had to walk past a huge stack of them in the supermarket instead of buy one. That was when I stopped pre ordering.
    My family had to fend for themselves if the release date came around a weekend. Just as well hubby can cook a bit My nose was in the book and it was finished before some people had got to the end of chapter one lol.

I had to do jury service a few years ago and took The Goblet of Fire with me. First day I never got called and was over half way through the book by the time they sent us home at 2pm. The last book took me 4 days to read from start to finish. Yet I can't get into Beedle the Bard at all. Stuck half way through and have been since I got it. Like you I can't believe it is the last film. She needs to do a follow on about what happens next DD1 says.
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    Willie, that is such a sweet memory of your son about his 11th birthday.

She needs to do a follow on about what happens next DD1 says.
    I agree with your daughter! I love HP. Haven't done Twilight - have seen parts of the movies on TV and I just don't think the acting is very good... at least HP had an abundance of outstanding thespians! (even if they did only get a minute or two of screen time...)

Willie, that's wonderful your son got so excited, what a great way to remember him as an 11-year old!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Love HP books and movies but not the Twilight series. Read first 2 books with effort and a 1/3 of the way through the 3rd book, gave it up. Tried it twice and thought it was to boring for me even tho I had a friend that kept telling me I just HAD to read them. I've only seen the first movie and really enjoyed it tho.

How I started the HP books.... the whole family was coming out of the theater after watching the 4th movie and I told Dillon to give me the 5th book because I just couldn't wait to see what happens. He refused to and said I HAD to start from the beginning. I gave in and started and didn't stop till I had read everyone of them within about 2 months. It worked out great that way because while I was reading them, the last book came out and so I didn't have to wait between books, but was able to read them one right after the other.

They truly were so much better than the movies. While I began either the 6th or 7th book, I was anxiously trying to figure out whether Snape was evil or good. I texted my son who was in school at the time and asked him "I have to know-is Snape a good guy or a bad guy?". I received a text back a few minutes later saying simply, "Read on Mom". BRAT!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

You didn't train him right Willie. He was however right that you had to start from book 1.
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by Annabel View Post
    You didn't train him right Willie. He was however right that you had to start from book 1.
    You trained him perfectly, Willie! I totally agree with him.

Besides, you didn't have to wait 2 years to find out whether he was good or bad - that was sheer torture!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne