Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies

Default Re: Movies

I just watched It's Complicated with a friend last weekend. I was kind of disappointed, although the chemistry between Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep was good. I thought the relationship between Streep and Steve Martin was completely devoid of sparks, though. It did have some really funny moments.

I didn't really like Avatar either; it had cool visuals but the plot was pretty weak. I watched this one in California with PLS' family and it probably lost a lot of its zing because I didn't see it in the theater. I also have to admit I get uncomfortable when I see American soldiers presented as bad guys who have to be defeated or even killed by the good guys to achieve the "happy ending" (I know, it's only a movie, but I can't help it - I have a very negative emotional response to that - the exception being "fight the police state" futuristic sci-fi).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

We rarely go to the theater to see movies anymore, but I think they definitely lose something watching them at home. I know I'm never as impressed with them as I used to be seeing them there.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I wanted to see District 9, I think it's called (The movie Joe said he went to) But my son said it has a bad ending too so I think the Americans are the bad guys in it too.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AzEaglesFan View Post
    I wanted to see District 9, I think it's called (The movie Joe said he went to) But my son said it has a bad ending too so I think the Americans are the bad guys in it too.
    It's about aliens taking over South Africa, and I don't remember any anti-American content in it at all. It's worth seeing.

Crazy Heart just came out over here on DVD, so I bought it yesterday. We're getting our new 42" TV delivered tomorrow though, so I have decided to hold out until I can watch it on the big screen. An exercise in restraint! I can't wait to see it. I know I'm going to love it.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Troub, congratulations on getting your new telly!

I have got to watch Crazy Heart!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I saw Crazy Heart a few days ago and I thought it was great!! Definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it yet. I was surprised at how good Jeff Bridges could sing. He did a great job in that movie. I was even more surprised to see in the credits that that was ACTUALLY Collin Farrell singing. I didn't think that was really him at first.

I also saw The Fourth Kind too. Pretty creepy!! It's one of those that really makes you wonder. It's based in Nome, Alaska and it makes it even more creepy for me because I have a cousin that lives there right now.

As for District 9, I rented it when it first came out but I couldn't finish it. I turned it off about 45 minutes in because I just couldn't get into it at all.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by AzEaglesFan View Post
    There aren't really americans in it... wth?

I think the ending is awesome and sweet and hilarious...

how old is your son?
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

All I had seen were the trailers and so that is why I thought it was set in the US. All my son said when I ask if it had a good ending was that the bad guys all die. The trailers make it look like the ugly Americans are mistreating the poor lost aliens so that was the reason I didn't think I would like it. As it turns out someone stole the DVD from the Library so I guess I wouldn't get to see it anyway. Darn you just made it sound interesting after all.

I went to see Knight and Day today. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. A great mixture of action and comedy and I thought the pairing of Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz worked very well. I'd actually go see this one again.