Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High School Seniors

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Default High School Seniors

Okay, I know this is off the wall but it is driving me MAD. I know there are several members who have high school seniors this year. Are they excited about making plans for the next stage of their young lives? My son is completely UNexcited about it. He cannot understand why I do think it's an exciting time for him. I feel like I'm the senior!!! Getting him to get involved in looking at his options for next year is like pulling teeth. What does he think? The tooth fairies are going to come along and just hand him the life he wants??????? What is the life he wants? Who knows? The CIA couldn't get it out of him. I'm about ready to explode all over him Is this a boy thing or what?

Default Re: High School Seniors

Seeing as I was a Senior last year. Your son is gonna miss out on a lot of great stuff if he doesn't get involved, like Senior Breakfast, getting to leave School early, Senior Field day ( If they have it)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I think we may just be lucky here from what I am hearing from some other parents. Dillon has everything pretty much under control. He only applied to the one college he insisted he was going to, even tho we kept telling him he needed to apply to more. He was accepted to Indiana University Bloomington and we went ahead applied for housing and he was accepted into the dorm he wanted. He's already joined a couple of groups for incoming Freshmen. We already have all the FAFSA filed and just waiting for that info to come back. He has been applying for quite a few scholarships and grants.

We had told him a couple years ago, ultimately it's his life and we can't make those decisions for him and he needed to figure out what was to come. He loves to write and literature and he is very easy going so he wants to start out being a teacher of Literature in innersity schools, and get involved in writing and publishing, and eventually go into higher education and become a college professor.

Only time will tell if this is indeed where life will take him but we are very proud of the fact that he is making these decisions and seems to always be a step ahead.

Now getting him involved in graduation and party planning is a different story. Says he could care less. My husband says if he doesn't want a party than let him. But I think we deserve the party also for getting thru this!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

We had a small stint of senior anxiety here too. Jenni absolutely refused to do ANYthing about college, graduation or anything for a while. I think for her it was kind of like the anxiety you might feel before a dentist appointment. It's scary and you really dont want to do it, but once you're there, it's not so bad. Cliff and Jenni used to get into it pretty bad during this time. He didnt understand what her fears were and she couldnt voice them. Once she did finally take a step in that direction and make some decisions, she was fine.
    Still, she never got a senior portrait taken, she doesnt have a class ring, she nearly didnt have any of the graduation stuff (I had to fill all that out and send it in). I remember going through a lot of this stuff myself. I waited till the last minute to apply to schools and had to work at a special needs camp all summer to finish my credits to graduate! I think it's just a really scary time as well as exciting.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Dillon sounds as though he's ahead of the game. Good for him. Can you send him my way - I can pretend he's my long lost 'got it together' son

We will keep this one but I have a feeling our time is coming with our Sophomore daughter. She wants everything handed to her and feels it's her God given right to have it. Larry asked her a few weeks ago if she planned on being the girl who lives upstairs for the rest of her life and she said yup! We may never get her out of here! Hopefully that will all change over the next couple of years.

hehehe that's what worries me a little about Jenni too, Willie. Her chosen school is only a few minutes drive from here. She does want to live in the residents halls but, M&D are very close! Cliff keeps threatening to turn her room into his comic book room. I have a feeling, we may have her here more often then we expected.

Well Dillon just walked in with his cap & gown and announcements and things. Geez--I can't believe we are getting this close! Are the rest of you handling this as well as I am?

Jenni did the same thing on Tuesday.. she's been wearing the cap around. It's kind of hard to see, but her school is just on the other side of town so Im sure we'll have her here a lot. Still, my baby is going away!

Should I be worried? I just saw on Facebook that my son put up an event invitation for his graduation party and it is showing 156 pending rsvp's! I'm gonna have to kill him!! I sent out our invites and told him to let his FRIENDS know. I was at the ATM last Friday evening and a couple of kids I know came up and told me they couldn't wait for his party. I told them I was glad Dillon had let them know about it. One of them proceeded to tell me that it was all over the school and to expect quite a few because, get this, "he was the homecoming king and is really popular and has a lot of friends". Oh God!!!! We are in so much trouble! I really am going to murder him!!!