Page 32 of 88 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Eagles History

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Today in Eagles History

Well I'm a day late on this but I wanted to acknowledge this momentous event. While it may be true that this probably isn't the official date that the band was formed, it was definitely the start.

When I went to the Eagles show in D.C. a few years back, Glenn said that after he and Don joined Linda's band, they practiced a few weeks. and their first shows were in D.C. at a club called the Cellar Door. It was after a show one night sitting at the bar drinking tequila that he and Don definitely decided they wanted to form their own band. At least, that was his recollection on that night.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, as I opened this thread to make this post, I couldn't help but notice the irony that our lasts posts here were about the very beginning of the band because today marks the 31st anniversary of what was thought would be the band's last concert. This was the night of the infamous Long Night at Wrong Beach concert and one of the saddest moments in Eagles history. Thankfully, it didn't turn out to be the band's last show, albeit it did spark a 14-year vacation. You can hear the concert here, but, remember, the sound drops out between songs because the sound guys didn't want the audience hear the insults being tossed around by the band members every time a song ended.

On a lighter note, this was also the day that Eagles Online Radio was launched in 2009.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

sorry Dreamer, I read your post wrong....so deleted my comment!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Wow - This thread has been quiet for a while.

Just wanted to mention that today is the 8th anniversary of the release of The Very Best of the Eagles compilation CD. IMO, if there is anyone that still needs an introduction to the band's music, this is the best bang for your buck available. The booklet insert alone is worth the price of the CD to me. This was the very first CD I bought to play in the CD player of my brand new car that I bought that year and was shortly after I saw the band live for the very first time so it holds a special place in my heart.

For those that aren't familiar with it, here the back cover which includes the playlist:

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Noticed my daughter had disc 1 in the cd player of the car the other day. Ask her if she listens to it much. Told me it's been her companion back and forth to work for several weeks now!! That's my girl!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I had to smile when I saw this was the anniversary of the release of Eagles Live. Hotel California might have been the album that hooked me, but Eagles Live was the one that reeled me in. I listened to it endlessly during my last two years of high school, and recorded it onto a cassette to take with me to college.

Because of this album, there are many Eagles songs that I can no longer listen to recorded (Wasted Time, Take it Easy, Hotel California to name a few). They MUST be live. I think I have every guitar solo, harmony, drum beat and piano note ingrained into my soul. Great memories!

At the time the album came out, I had no idea that my favorite band had broken up months before. When the official word was released in 1982, I was crushed. I'm so glad it turned out not to be permanent.

Thanks for telling your story, WE! It is hard to imagine that by the time this was released, the band was already kaput - the world just didn't know it yet! And if they hadn't reunited and gotten back into the public eye (and ear), I would probably not even know who they are today.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I noticed that today in Eagles history, Joe Walsh joined the band! It's a wonder what the Eagles would be like today had he not been asked to join.

Yep EF - I agree ... it's a pretty important day in Eagles history. I guess we'll never know what the band would be like today if Joe hadn't joined, but I think it's safe to say that they'd be different, especially in terms of their live shows!

So, I say CONGRATULATIONS to the Eagles and Joe. Despite the reservations of many fans at the time it happened, I think it turned out to be a match made in heaven!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

An historic day for sure! for Joe!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten