Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Ship Tour Bus Accident

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Cruise Ship Tour Bus Accident

Thanks everyone, We're waiting to hear back from my SIL who lives in Missouri. We're hoping she can get to Florida to be with Mom and my Aunts right now. She seems to be the only one with the time and means to get there. We're just all holding our breath till they're all home and safe if not completely well.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh my Rhonda - I'm so sorry to hear about this as well. Like all your other fellow Borderers, I'll be thinking about you, Cliff, and your family. I hope they will have a full and speedy recovery.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Positive thoughts and well wishes from me, too. I hope you & Cliff are holding up OK.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and prayers.
    I got to speak to my Mom in law today and got an update. She sounded rattled but good. She's really sore with a lot of contusions and bruises.

Patty has a cast on her leg and one on her arm. She's had surgery on her eye for a cut just above the eye and she will have to have her cheekbone rebuilt as it's shattered, but she's coherent and speaking and her husband is with her.

Phyllis has a tube in her lungs for drainage and has had to have the skin regrafted on her hands. She has a fractured right arm and "road burn" on her neck and chest. She also will live and heal and be fine eventually.

The cruise line is picking up the bill for the whole thing, reimbursing their ticket costs, paying medical and making up for lost work pay. They are also replacing my Mom's camera (A really nice Nikon) and they are all staying in luxury suites at Miami's Marriots with a full staff to look after them.

Mom was the only one released from the Hospital at this point. There are 16 injured including the bus driver who was a native of Dominica and stayed there. We're still trying to get someone to go down there to help her out and be with her.

It's a long ways from over and the recovery time will be substantial, but they will recover.
    Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know if there are any more developments.

While I'm sure it'll be a tough road for them, I'm so glad to hear they've got a good prognosis. Thanks for the update.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for keeping us posted. Your aunts' injuries sound severe. I'll pray that they heal quickly.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Rhonda,

You have to be extremely relieved....I was when I read your post, as horrible as the injuries were!

As badly as they have to be feeling, I hope they can get some comfort out of the luxury they are being afforded by the Cruise Line! Maybe they can get a free robe out of it! And, maybe champaign instead of orange juice...caviar instead of eggs. Free upgrades to first class on any cruise they take in the future!

But I'm quite sure that they just want to get home and get past this awful accident and be as healthy as they were before it happened. That is what I'm hoping for them and the rest of your families!

MikeA

I hope that your aunts soon recover!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Glad to hear that everyone is out of danger and healing. I'll bet Cliff can hardly wait to check his Mom out for himself. To hear they are ok is fine but there is nothing like seeing them for himself. Our prayers are still going out to you all.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well thank God all your family members are out of danger and will recover fully even if it takes a while. I'm sure they can't wait to get back to their own State and homes.
    IMHO what the cruise line are providing is the very minimum. I'm not a litigous (sp?) person myself, but anyone caught up in this needs to be compensated fully for their injuries, pain and the inconvenience to their ordinary lives that they have suffered. Thats what insurance is for and the insurance companies make enough on the policies which thankfully never have to be used.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP