Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Black

Default Old Black

Something I've been wondering for awhile: What will happen to Glenn's famed guitar "Old Black" now that he's gone? Given it's long history I hope it'd be sent to a museum or the Rock and Roll HOF (my personal preference is the R&R HOF).

That guitar has been such a part of Glenn's career with both the Eagles and as a solo artist.. I think it'd be a shame if it wasn't displayed somewhere in his memory.

Default Re: Old Black

I imagine Glenn's son, Deacon, is now in possession of the famous guitar. He's appeared on stage with his father as a guest guitarist, and the instrument would make a lovely family heirloom.
    Just my guess and nothing else.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

I thought of "Old Black", too. Maybe Deacon will adopt him/her.

I nearly put "it" but I remember Glenn using "she" when talking about one of his other guitars. To me, OB is a "he" but I'm projecting.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I would think the same about his son keeping it. I know George Harrison's son Dhani has kept a lot of his father's guitars and during vids Dhani's posted with his band you can see George's guitars, especially "Rocky", hanging on the wall in his studio. He's also apparently used them on his albums. Others though are in the Hall of Fame and other museums as well so I could see that happening too.

I had wonder about Old Black too. That guitar has been with Glenn since the beginning and of all the guitars Glenn has played on stage, we always see that guitar in every show. Even when Glenn have new guitars on stage, Old Black was always there at every concert and he played a lot of songs with that guitar.

I hope the guitar goes to Deacon or any of his children. I think he would take good care of his dad's old guitar. Or it might go to the HOF.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-18-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I hope that Old Black stays in the family or goes to the HOF as well. It's most definitely the guitar that all fans associate with Glenn.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As a fan, I would love to see Old Black on display in the R&R HOF. But, I think it will and should stay in the family.

I have a late uncle who was inducted into the Bluegrass Hall of Fame. I don't mean to compare him with Glenn, but I bring this up to kind of share something from a family perspective. He was a fiddle player and had a 'prized' fiddle kinda like Glenn's Old Black. My uncle had a name for 'her' too, but I can't think of it right now. Anyway, when I was in Nashville last fall, my aunt was saying that she and her two children had discussed donating one of his fiddles to the HOF, but they couldn't decided which one. The 'prize' fiddle was definitely off the plate though. They have no intention of parting with that one.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm betting Deacon will have possession of Old Black. Just too much of a keepsake to give up. It would be for me anyways.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm betting Deacon will have possession of Old Black. Just too much of a keepsake to give up. It would be for me anyways.
    Old black is the black les paul right?

Yes I am betting that "she" will belong to Deacon or Otis if he wants to learn to play her. I'd never give that guitar away.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............