Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Third Brother

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Third Brother

As I've told some of you, I got an e-mail from a guy who was a neighbor of Glenn's on Wyandotte Street in Royal Oak, and who was friends with his brother Matt. Before I got this e-mail, I'd never heard the name Matt Frey before, although I'd learned from another of Glenn's old friends that Glenn had a third brother whom he put through college. Turns out Matt Frey is 13 years younger than Glenn. Dang!

I was wondering - does anyone know if Glenn has ever spoken of Matt, or even of having a third brother at all? I know he mentions his other brother Alan by name in the Soul Searchin' liner notes, and has many times told the story of Alan hitting him in the face with a baseball bat when he was 13 or 14.

ETA: Found this on the topic posted on a Q&A site by an unknown poster:
    "Matt used to hang out at a karaoke bar called the Corbin Bowl in Tarzana, CA. I wouldn't be surprised if he were still hanging out there today."

~

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Default Re: The Third Brother

A brother 13 years younger than Glenn? I would love to see a photo of the guy. Probably he does look like Glenn during the HFO era!

Stuck on the Border

I've never heard any mention of Matt by Glenn.

Stuck on the Border

I had never heard of him mentioned by name, but I can remember mention of two brothers on Eagleland last year. Actually, I think it was mews who mentioned two siblings.

I can't find the thread right now, but that sounds right. And mews would know!

~

Stuck on the Border

I remember hearing about the brother he was putting through college (isn't that mentioned in one of the Rolling Stone interviews?), but I guess I had always assumed he was talking about Alan.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I remember hearing about the brother he was putting through college (isn't that mentioned in one of the Rolling Stone interviews?), but I guess I had always assumed he was talking about Alan.
    I just came to the board to post it elsewhere, it came up in a Google alert, and yes, he talks about put his brother through college.

http://www.theuncool.com/2013/05/13/...ling-stone-75/
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I just came to the board to post it elsewhere, it came up in a Google alert, and yes, he talks about put his brother through college.

http://www.theuncool.com/2013/05/13/...ling-stone-75/
    Just wanted to say that I grew up with Matt Frey. My name is Pete Stieler. I met him when he was our paper boy in Royal Oak. He delivered The Daily Tribune. My brother was the same age as Matt and I am a year or so older. His folks, Nel & Ed lived at the corner of Maplegrove and Catalpa in Royal Oak. We lived at 1212 Lawndale in Royal Oak. I have many fond memories of Nel in the kitchen, turning up a transistor radio until it buzzed saying "That's Glenn! That's Glenn!". In the early 70s, we went to movies together...Westworld, Rollerball (the one with James Caan) and many others. We formed a band in 1975. My brother Scott Stieler was the drummer and I played guitar. Jim MacPhee was our bass player. I have a huge number of great stories and hope to share them. I also have photos of Matt from those days. I'll try to post some. I'd like to locate Matt. We made a number of Super 8 movies back in those days. Glenn gave him a nice camera and we made our own versions of "The Ghoul"...a host (Ron Swede) of scary movies on Saturday nights on WKBD Channel 50, Detroit. We put a lot of effort into making the sets and imitating The Ghoul. Would love to see those movies again one day...if they are still in existence. Matt, if you're out there, please post a note on this website. Thanks.

Welcome, peepers! I love to hear stories like this, but Matt has never contacted me and I have no reason to believe he reads the website. If you still would like to share some memories, though, feel free!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yes, Peepers59 share your wonderful stories!