Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The Third Brother

Out on the Border

Default Re: The Third Brother

Hi again. It's Pete from Royal Oak. Here's an amusing story. In the mid to late 70s, Matt apparently had some one on one time with Joe Walsh. He asked Joe how to build one of those voice boxes...like he used on Rocky Mountain Way. Apparently Joe built his first one on his own, and knew exactly what was needed to make one. Matt came to us all excited...said that Joe told him "The first thing you need to do is "steal a car horn" and break out the reeds inside, so it doesn't make any sound, just blows air. Then, you need to get a big cigar box and smoke all the stogies in it. Take the car horn and attach it to the side of the box so the air blows into the box. Attach a tweeter to the other side so it pumps your guitar sound into the box. Run an aquarium tube out of the top of the box and into your mouth. You can kink the tube with a lighter".

We found out that it wasn't as simple as that, though. The box hummed loudly from the whirring motor in the car horn and drowned out the guitar sound badly. Matt worked on that box for a long time but I don't remember it ever working. By this time, Glenn had purchased a home for Nel and Ed on Bald Mountain. The Hi Hill Villa neighborhood was just east off Lapeer Rd and north of Silverbell Rd in Lake Orion. Scott and I helped Matt steal colored spot lights from the businesses up and down Lapeer Rd around Christmas time. Instead of white lights, they shined red and green lights on their buildings at night. These were perfect for our impressive light rack.

Glenn continued to bolster Big M and bought him MotoCross Motorcycles (2 Suzuki 175s, I think) and the full MotoCross outfit complete with bee helmet. With all the zippers on the jacket and buckles up and down the boots, Matt actually looked like a bad ass. I never went riding with him, but my brother did. But that's another story...for another time.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks again for another entertaining story, peepers - love the part about building the talk box.

I never realized that Glenn bought his parents a home in the Detroit area before they moved to Florida. Do you happen to remember what year they left Detroit?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I wonder if Joe was pulling Matt's leg?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Pete, your stories are amazing and so entertaining. The Walsh story definitely sounds like he was feeding them a line for the sole purpose of self-entertainment (since we all know his reputation I wouldn't put past him, especially in that timeframe!). And your photos are really great. Keep the stories and pictures coming, please.

You brought back some. memories for me. My first husband and I lived in the Pontiac/Rochester area back in the early 70's (my son was born at Crittendon in '72) and we spent many nights enjoying shows at Pine Knob. It was THE place to go for great concerts during the warm weather (Chicago, Beach Boys, Journey) and we also went to Meadowbrook a lot!. We watched the Silverdome being built & went to tons of games there, shopped at the Oakland Mall and went to the Farmer's Market in Detroit. Back then the Lake Orion area was just beginning to really develop and the Hi Hill Villa area was very sought-after real estate!

When we were a bit younger, growing up in north-central Ohio, we used to go to the clubs in Cleveland to see The James Gang. Joe Walsh has always been a favorite of mine and having seen him many times in the small settings, it was a huge thrill years later to see him again in the big arenas. He toured in the early 80's (solo) as an opening act with Foreigner and we saw him at the old Centrum (don't know what they call it now) in Wooster, Mass -- he was stoned, drunk and totally awesome, LOL! And he was building his reputation as a rebel with cause -- to demolish as many hotel rooms as possible! Amazing what age, years of experience and eventual maturity can do for a person.

But I wander off topic...apologies! Bring on some more memories of the Frey clan!
    I just need a little downtime.........

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks again for another entertaining story, peepers - love the part about building the talk box.

I never realized that Glenn bought his parents a home in the Detroit area before they moved to Florida. Do you happen to remember what year they left Detroit?
    I'm afraid I was out of touch with them when they moved from Hi Hill Villa in Lake Orion. Frankly, I didn't even know they moved to Florida....I thought it might be California. I do know that they lived on Wyandotte Street in Royal Oak until about 1971. That's when they moved to the corner of Maplegrove and Catalpa. I think they moved to Hi Hill Villa in about 1977.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    Pete, your stories are amazing and so entertaining. The Walsh story definitely sounds like he was feeding them a line for the sole purpose of self-entertainment (since we all know his reputation I wouldn't put past him, especially in that timeframe!). And your photos are really great. Keep the stories and pictures coming, please.

You brought back some. memories for me. My first husband and I lived in the Pontiac/Rochester area back in the early 70's (my son was born at Crittendon in '72) and we spent many nights enjoying shows at Pine Knob. It was THE place to go for great concerts during the warm weather (Chicago, Beach Boys, Journey) and we also went to Meadowbrook a lot!. We watched the Silverdome being built & went to tons of games there, shopped at the Oakland Mall and went to the Farmer's Market in Detroit. Back then the Lake Orion area was just beginning to really develop and the Hi Hill Villa area was very sought-after real estate!

When we were a bit younger, growing up in north-central Ohio, we used to go to the clubs in Cleveland to see The James Gang. Joe Walsh has always been a favorite of mine and having seen him many times in the small settings, it was a huge thrill years later to see him again in the big arenas. He toured in the early 80's (solo) as an opening act with Foreigner and we saw him at the old Centrum (don't know what they call it now) in Wooster, Mass -- he was stoned, drunk and totally awesome, LOL! And he was building his reputation as a rebel with cause -- to demolish as many hotel rooms as possible! Amazing what age, years of experience and eventual maturity can do for a person.

But I wander off topic...apologies! Bring on some more memories of the Frey clan!
    Thanks for your excellent story about Joe Walsh. I never saw him outside of the Eagles shows. I was made aware that the "new" Joe Walsh is all cleaned up and polished. They played at the Van Andel Arena on Sept 8th here in Grand Rapids (Monday night). I have a friend that works as a runner for the bands that appear there. He was very turned off by the "Eagles" rules of non-engagement. He was told not to look any one of them in the eyes. Not to stand around, talk to them or be in their way at all. According to him, they acted like Gods and were less than polite. I've heard this about Glenn in the past, too. He's acutely aware of his image and protects his privacy intensely. My buddy Jim, our old bass player thinks Glenn is an outright asshole, but I tend to cut Glenn some slack. This is a man who was focused, ambitious and didn't let anyone get in his way of success. And success in this industry is usually modest and short-lived. So I figure whatever got him here is working. I just think his hard-nosed personality has little patience for any bullshit. That includes his younger half-brothers, Al and Matt. Family or not, he's probably the same with them.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks, Peepers, for all of your posts!

I don't have a problem with their non-engagement rules. No star should have to interact with every worker in the arena or stadium who happens to have access to where the star will be walking, working, resting. It's too much. The guys HAVE to meet with and speak to the venue senior management, personal guests, VIPs, etc... every night. They should be able to go about their business without employees trying to talk to them, shake their hand, smile at them or take their pictures.

If one of the guys is required to speak directly to a venue employee to request something (as opposed to an assistant or other Eagles staffer making the request), of course he should be polite and should say thank you, and I would be surprised to hear that any of them would act otherwise. But just the fact that there exists a written policy of rules for employees interacting with the stars, I can't believe that every big star doesn't have the same policy. Your friend would know as a runner what the rules are for each act that comes in, but I would think the rules would be similar for acts of similar stature and longevity.

In that setting, the guys ARE the Gods. There is no democracy, nobody has a right to a piece of them. Madonna instituted a "no eye contact" rule 25 years ago.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I mostly agree with you, MC, but then I usually do! I can't even imagine how many people work in the arena, in the various parts that the guys go to, and how many would then ask for an autograph, a handshake, a life story, or whatever. I feel that for the most part, our guys are actually nice guys, and they don't want to tell anyone no. As you said, they can't possibly take time out for all of them, it's too much. They don't want to say 'no', so they make it so that it's clear up front and they don't have to be the ones that say 'no'.

Especially in this day and age where any conversation with someone who works in the arena can be edited, shortened, or otherwise doctored and posted on social media, I can understand why they do what they do. Or don't do, as the case may be.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thanks, Peepers, for all of your posts!

I don't have a problem with their non-engagement rules. No star should have to interact with every worker in the arena or stadium who happens to have access to where the star will be walking, working, resting. It's too much. The guys HAVE to meet with and speak to the venue senior management, personal guests, VIPs, etc... every night. They should be able to go about their business without employees trying to talk to them, shake their hand, smile at them or take their pictures.

If one of the guys is required to speak directly to a venue employee to request something (as opposed to an assistant or other Eagles staffer making the request), of course he should be polite and should say thank you, and I would be surprised to hear that any of them would act otherwise. But just the fact that there exists a written policy of rules for employees interacting with the stars, I can't believe that every big star doesn't have the same policy. Your friend would know as a runner what the rules are for each act that comes in, but I would think the rules would be similar for acts of similar stature and longevity.

In that setting, the guys ARE the Gods. There is no democracy, nobody has a right to a piece of them. Madonna instituted a "no eye contact" rule 25 years ago.
    Hi Mary California...Yes, I think you are right. And again, I tend to cut Glenn a lot of slack. The music industry is a very difficult one. Being such a success in that industry brings on a whole new array of challenges. The rules of "non-engagement" are understandable and reasonable in my opinion, too. My buddy (the runner) just felt that they were not very happy or nice. His impression was that they were there to "get it over with"...which might have been the case. Who knows? They're not youngsters anymore and touring is exhausting. I'm hard-pressed to think any member of the Eagles is hurting for money so this tour might be simply for the benefit of their fans. Also, Glenn's mom (Nel) died a year ago almost to the day when they were in Grand Rapids. They were here on the 8th and she died on Sept 9th last year. That might have brought a slight pall to the event. Glenn was very close to Nel.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Agree with all of this, Peepers. Also, from reviews, it seems that Glenn has had a cold for many of the shows, which I'm sure comes from the air travel, late nights, etc...on a 66-year-old body. I would not be surprised to hear that they basically want to get in to the venue, do their show, and get out.