Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The Third Brother

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: The Third Brother

Welcome a Peeper! I love your stories. I'm sure Glenn's parents were sooo proud of him
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by peepers59 View Post
    So you want to hear some stories about Matt Frey, eh? Well...we had some great times. Matt and I were guitar players, my brother Scott was our drummer and Jim MacPhee was our bass player. Jim & Scott were experienced players and were the backbone. Matt and I were learning how to play guitar. Glenn had given Matt a beautiful guitar and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. We started playing up in his bedroom at the corner of Maplewood and Catalpa. It wasn't easy, but we muddled our way through "Sister Golden Hair" by America, "Turn to Stone" and "Walk Away" by Joe Walsh. Glenn taught "Big M" how to play "Take it Easy" but we struggled to play anything all the way through. Patience was not a strong suit for Matt and that led to some hostilities. But we held on to the dream of making it big and stuck to our guns. Keep in mind that my brother Scott was closest to Matt. I was older and more square. Matt was intimidated by me to some degree, I think. Matt didn't practice as much as us but he wanted the same results when we jammed. I wasn't afraid to call him out on that and we butted heads often. It's too bad. Matt slowly became "Glenn Frey's brother" and it was almost impossible to speak to him without some form of vitriol spewing from his mouth. He protected his brother from us when he visited by insisting we not speak or interact with him at all. No cameras, no questions! I remember Glenn coming home to visit his family in the spring of 1975. Glenn's hair was long back then, and he wore a shirt that had what looked like the FORD logo on it, but it said FART. Sure made us laugh. He rented a piano and had it delivered to Nel & Ed's house. We were invited over to hear him play a new song he had just written that was sure to be a hit. So there Glenn sat down and played "Take it to the Limit" for us and we were all speechless when he finished. Nel had tears in her eyes. My brother and I looked at each other and realized Glenn was very right. That song was going to be a hit!

LOVE THIS STORY....MORE PLEASE..

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Got another question for you peeper. This picture was posted here on the board a while ago. Just wondering if you can identify any of these folks. Are these Glenn's brothers Alan and Matt in the front row?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Here are a few pictures of Matt Frey of the Harmony River Band from one of their Facebook pages. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harmo...387542?fref=ts

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    Welcome Peepers. Great stories and we all look forward to hearing more from you. Have you looked at the picture I found/posted and can you verify that it's THE Matt Frey? Also have you checked out the Harmony River Band site? Curious minds want to know!
    Yes. I have checked out the Harmony River Band and that is Matt Frey, Glenn's bother. He hasn't changed much but he sure got tall. Thank you so much for helping me find our old buddy. I have pictures of Matt as a kid. I'll try to post some. Thanks again for your direction and thoughtful comments!

Thanks, Peepers. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Welcome to the Border, peepers! Love your story too, and would love to hear more!

I can definitely see Matt's resemblance to Glenn in the pictures here!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Does this look familiar?

OMG! That's the shirt! Although it';s a black & while picture, I remember it in blue. Keep in mind that he was at home in Royal Oak wearing that shirt, and the next thing we knew, he was on stage at Pine Knob wearing the same thing he had on at home! In an age where glam rock was the norm, it was mind-blowing to see Glenn in a jersey and jeans on stage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Thanks, Peepers. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    posted some pics of Matt Frey from about 40 years ago. Enjoy!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    Welcome Peepers. Great stories and we all look forward to hearing more from you. Have you looked at the picture I found/posted and can you verify that it's THE Matt Frey? Also have you checked out the Harmony River Band site? Curious minds want to know!
    Yes. You nailed it! That's Matt and I posted some pictures from about 40 years ago. I hope you're able to check them out. Thanks so much for your input! Greatly appreciated!