Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Dreamed There Was No War

Default Re: I Dreamed There Was No War

I did another little cover of another song that is a little obscure. It's not complete. Still need to work on the solo parts but with the recording gear, that's sort of the way you do it. Start out with a rhythm beat and add some foundation (wish I new anything about playing a bass) and then tack on the solo parts and/or vocals.

I ain't agonna be adoin' none of them thar vocals! Not any more <LOL>

I added a little Spanish type Introduction to the recording. It's a work in progress.

Last edited by MikeA; 05-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.

MikeA

Yeah, real obscure, Mike. lol

Sounded nice and mellow!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Gee sounds familiar but I can't place the name of the song!

Very nice Mike---wish I could do that!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I loved your version Mike!

I've been thinking about this but have absolutely no computer ability to get it started: Wouldn't it be cool to write our own song. Somehow all of you guitarists could add to it, get Mrs Frey maybe to sing lead, and put the finished product up here! Or let us hear the making of the song as it's created, step by step. I have been thinking about writing a song about the Borderers (just for fun), but so far I got nothin'!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

PM,

That's sort of the way you do it. A piece at a time and put it all together. But the concept has to come first. Get the lyrics and decide on the mood (tempo and key {major or minor...blues or not} which includes a rhythm or beat) of the song. Then put some chords to it and then the vocals and finish it off with some instrumental solo maybe.

The problem with multiple people working on the actual composition is that they would need to have the same software to work through. Audacity is free, but it isn't the best by any means. Anyone contributing anything other than lyrics (i.e., vocals or instrumental parts) would need the interface gear to get their parts recorded so they could be passed on to the other participants. And someone would have to mix it all.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, real obscure, Mike. lol

Sounded nice and mellow!
    I hope that the two drummers of a prominent Rock Group do not mind too much that I sort of borrowed the rhythm track <smile> I have a rhythm machine, but haven't learned how to use it. Part of the problem is that I am not a drummer! At least, I think that's part of the problem.

Oh, for those wishing to play along with this, the entire thing is done with a CAPO on the 2nd fret. This puts the song into the same key that the Eagles used with it. You can drop it two semi-tones if your vocals don't stretch that high simply by playing it without the capo. But it won't match the key of this particular version if you do. If anyone is interested, I can lower the key (or raise it) via software to anything you might prefer for playing along with it.

The progression for the chorus uses the open chord shapes listed below but played with that capo on the 2nd fret:

Am, E, G, D, F, C, Dm, E and then repeat. With the repeitition, this gets you through the verses themselves.

The chorus is a little different.

F, C, E, Am, F, C, Dm, E and there is no repeat here.

By the way, I went back and changed the effects to a mod-delay on the chorus so that it stands out a little different than the chords for the verses.

MikeA

I added a little introduction that sounds something like the brass the Eagles use to introduce Hotel California.

See https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...8&postcount=11 for the recording if you are interested. You may have to clear your cache...I did.

MikeA