Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Songs Grow On People - Like Warts

Stuck on the Border

Default My Songs Grow On People - Like Warts

The topic title is a genuine quote from Glenn.

On Eagleland there were a couple of posts about songs which have grown on you. I thought this could become a full topic over here. While I already mentioned a couple which took a while to grow on me, I left out Delcious, a song which at first I positively disliked. In fact, for various reasons, the entire Strange Weather album 'grew' on me. I would love to hear if the rest of you have any songs of this type, or did you love them all passionately straight away? If you like you could also mention songs you don't like so much anymore. Mine in this category is probably THIO. I've heard it too often. Possibly TOYL. Anyway..

eaglesfans

Default Re: My Songs Grow On People - Like Warts

This is a great discussion topic. I just wonder why it can't be discussed on Eagleland.

</p>

On Eagleland there were a couple of posts about songs which have grown on you. I thought this could become a full topic over here. While I already mentioned a couple which took a while to grow on me, I left out Delcious, a song which at first I positively disliked. In fact, for various reasons, the entire Strange Weather album 'grew' on me. I would love to hear if the rest of you have any songs of this type, or did you love them all passionately straight away? If you like you could also mention songs you don't like so much anymore. Mine in this category is probably THIO. I've heard it too often. Possibly TOYL. Anyway..
    I'm afraid I still don't like Delicious, but other songs on SW grew on me - like A Walk in the Dark, which at first bored me a bit melodically - then I realized how hot the lyrics were. I also wasn't immediately taken by Love in the 21st Century - that whole phone sex thing kind of threw me at first - but every time I listened to it I liked it more. It just rocked. I still am not a HUGE fan of Big Life, but I don't skip it anymore. Indeed songs that grew on me include: Livin' Right, Workin' Man, Sexy Girl, The Allnighter, Living in Darkness, Partytown, and Sea Cruise.

Songs that I don't like as much anymore? hmmmm. Actually I can't think of any!

~

Several songs on 'The Allnighter' took a little while with me - Lover's Moon and Let's Go Home, both of which I now love. I think I tend to like the rockier ones more quickly than the ballads - Some Kind of Blue is another that has grown into a favourite. I like the whole of 'Strange Weather', but didn't know what to make of Big Life to start with, but the more I listen, the more I get the humour - it's just a big contrast with the rest of the album. I think Delicious is fun, with a great syncopated beat, and I'm not averse to the falsetto. A Walk In The Dark is just, well, a <sigh> moment for me.

I don't think I have listened to any of his tracks long enough to like them less - usually with me I appreciate music even more with familiarity - the 'hair standing on end' feeling when you hear the opening chords. I get that with some of Joe's music, too. I agree THIO is played a lot, but it is the <span style="text-decoration:underline">only</span> Glenn solo track played over here on the radio, so I very much enjoy hearing it.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Many of the falsetto songs had to grow on me. I just feel that Glenn's voice is so beautiful and when he goes falsetto it just doesn't do it justice. The only song I can think of that I didn't like at all the first time I heard it was Sea Cruise. But agian, it grew on me. As far as A Walk In The Dark goes...it was an instant fav. How could y'all not love that song? lol The only thing that comes to mind that I dislike is the synth in Don't Give Up. Recently in the car Big Life was coming on and my son commented that the intro sounded like something re Saigon...don't remember exactly what he said...and he immediately said, "It's Big LIfe, but it sounds like another song" at which point I had to wipe a tear from my eye...I was so proud!

~~~~

You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends,
    After the thrill is gone.

I love the synth in "Don't Give Up"! I know it's dated but I don't care. It's a rockin' song with an effective sense of urgency that the synth adds to, IMHO.

~

Stuck on the Border

I think sometimes a song will grow on you if you see it live, or hear a live version. Of course the only Glenn songs I have ever seen live are THIO, YBTTC and Smuggler's Blues. Yes. That's all.

So when I heard the Royal Oak versions of She Can't Let Go and SKOB they lifted those two songs into new dimensions (and all you people who saw SKOB recently, keep your voices down) . The way he sings the line 'oh, she wants to be free' in the RO version of She Can't Let Go is a revelation.

I would also say that when I heard the Eagles do Lover's Moon it changed my perception of the song, because a) he sounded so vulnerable and nervous; b) it was so wonderful to hear Don sing with him.

Big Life was NOT a favourite of mine at first, but the song actually has a lot to say, and it's very well sung. Another song from SW which I think is still growing on me is Brave New World, a song which we don't talk about much. To me it sounds like he was writing about the Balkans war, although I know he based it on the Stephen King book The Stantd.

As far as songs I don't like so much, that applies to most of the Soul Searchin' album. I heard Can't Put Out This Fire first on the iPod yesterday. Great production.... but oh dear, its slight, and it isn't even redeemed by a great vocal, which normally saves his more lightweight songs.

So much for me thinking I had nothing further to say here.

Brave New World comes to mind first for me. I didn't actually know I liked it that much until I found I had put it in one of my driving mixes without even thinking, haha.

Sexy Girl made me cringe at first, but now I've found the good in it, I suppose. I do love the beat.

I have to agree about The One You Love, I loved it at first, but now I'm not really that crazy about it. It's a lovely song, but it almost bores me now.

Interesting topic!

---

Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas

Brave New World is one of my faves off of Strange Weather - I love the way he sings "Remember you will always be my girl." Sigh. And the way he practically yells "BRAVE new world!"

Hearing a bootleg of Sea Cruise is what turned that around for me. Live recordings always make me appreciate songs I like even more as well.

This isn't from hearing it live, but seeing the video made me like Sexy Girl more.

~

Something about the One You Love does it to me every time. I remember when I was a new Frey fan back last summer, that song got stuck into my head and I just couldn't get enough of it. Same for Seven Bridges Road, although obviously that's an Eagles song.

~