Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Songs Grow On People - Like Warts

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: My Songs Grow On People - Like Warts

The song that really has crept up on me is I Did It For Your Love, which has lasted much better than most of that album. It's actually a very moving song, and again, beautifully sung.

Stuck on the Border

Well, I guess I can share this moment with friends...

I know this isn't a solo song, but No More Cloudy Days is the song that really grew on me. When I first heard it, I literally cringed. I remember thinking, this is just way to "adult contemporary" sounding for me.

But I had a really emotional moment that involves this song, and I'll never hear it the same again. Last fall, I had a routine physical and not all of the test came back as I had expected. I was called back for a repeat test. Working in the medical field, I told convinced myself the technical aspect of the test was not done correctly, and this was just a precaution type of thing.

The second test also came back abnormal and I was told the doctor would like me to head over to the ultrasound department immediately for a more extensive view.

My ultrasound was done at the very end of the day, so I sat in the holding area in one of those stupid hospital gowns all alone (I had convinced Steve the test was "nothing" and he needn't bother to come with me) waiting for my turn.

Suddenly, I felt overwhelmed with fear and I started to cry. Right before I was called in, NMCD starting playing overhead on the speakers. I can't tell you the comfort I felt hearing that familiar voice singing those comforting words.

I'll never hear that song the same way again!

(oh, and obviously, the tests finally came back negative)

Stuck on the Border

Oh, Sheryl, that's so sad yet so uplifting. I hope you know what I mean. I'm glad you're OK.

Thanks for sharing that, Sheryl. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

I'm so glad everything turned out OK.

~

Stuck on the Border

Thanks, guys. Oh, you know, as you get older, you can't take these "routine" tests for granted. I learned a lesson that day! I'm not as young as I used to be!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is a great story, S. And that really is what music is all about isn't it - to lift us up when we are down.

As far as the Glenn solo songs that have grown on me, my list is:

She Can't Let Go - At first, I found the music to be annoying. But I kept listening to it and I love the words to it, so I like it much better than I did at first.

Sexy Girl - Like Nancy, watching the video helped me like this song better than I did at first. I think the video is just cute and Mr. Frey is VERY hot in it.

I Got Love - I can't explain this one. At first, I thought it was okay, but nothing special. It actually probably still isn't anything special, but for some reason, it has become one of my favorites. I love the music and love the way he sings it - especially the line 'Get back on the highway, head on home to Number One' - man - I just love that!

I Did It For Your Love - Another one where listening closely to the words sold the song to me. The line that really grabs me on this one is 'I waited by the shore just for one glimpse of you, nothing more.' WOW!

Big Life - Like some of you, I wasn't that impressed at first, but it has become another one of my favorites. I think this is a really good song. It is intelligent, clever, humorous, good music, and very well sung. You can tell Glenn has some acting ability to pull off this song so well. I think it fits well on the album. It's a similar message as I've Got Mine, but with a totally different delivery.

Now, most of you already know that I am not a fan of the falsetto. However, Delicious is an exception. Because of the theme and lyrics, this song should be sung in falsetto, IMO. Plus when you consider that it is dedicated to baby Taylor - well now, isn't that the way a daddy should talk/sing to his little girl? Now Let's Go Home is different. The falsetto ruins this song for me. I think it could be a gorgeous sultry, song if sung in Glenn's normal voice. Just listen how sexy his voice is when he drops it and sings 'Let's Go Home.' I'm ready to go home with him until he starts the whining again. LOL

I really haven't gotten tired of any of his songs. Even the ones that get lots of play, I'm glad they do.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I'm glad you're ok Sheryl. That reminds me of my medical examination this week. Because of my back pain I had a doctor's appointment for a tomography and I was a bit afraid because the machine is pretty close and it wasn't allowed to move in it for 20 minutes. I thought I wouldn't be able to take this without getting claustrophobia. So I called the doctor's office and asked if it is allowed to listen to music and it was. So I took a Glenn CD with me and this cheered me up and helped me to come through.

I heard my favourite song ROD five times at least.

BTW, no herniated disk thank goodness.

Glad that everyone came through their tests with flying colors. Many years ago, I wasn't as fortunate which lead to numerous follow up tests and procedures. I finally gave up the fight in '93 and had a hysterectomy. Everything has been good ever since (knock wood).

I don't think I could have managed the stress without music to transport me to somewhere peaceful and calming. Even after a rough day now, I find that a little Schmit on the ride home really helps bring my blood pressure down.

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
    Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
    I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
    In a world full of pushin' and shove.

Wow, this thread has turned out to be pretty uplifting! Thanks for sharing guys.

~

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

You're right, totally off topic.

What about starting a new thread about our health and diseases? Better not...