Thread: Niagara Falls, ONT, Canada 6-04-07

Default Niagara Falls, ONT, Canada 6-04-07

That is interesting, FP--I was going to do the same thing--look up the names I was unfamiliar with. Thanks!

This is actually about someone who saw Don in Niagara, but I thought it was a great, great story:
    ----------------------------------------------

PUBLISHED: Monday, June 11, 2007
    Don Henley makes donation to Honor Flight fund-raiser

By Catherine Kavanaugh, Daily Tribune Staff Writer

Thirty-five thousand dimes added up, but Melissa and Tim Downey of Huntington Woods want to bring in the bucks for Honor Flight Michigan. The couple's bottle and can drive has raised $3,500 toward sending veterans on free trips to the National World War II Memorial. The Downeys and their neighbors have covered travel costs to Washington, D.C., for 11 veterans, but they say that's not enough.

Now the Downeys are coordinating the biggest benefit yet for the non-profit group. The Big Beat & Brew, which will feature a silent auction and music from the 1940s to the 1970s, is scheduled for Aug. 11 at the United Food and Concession Workers Hall, 876 Mountpellar, Madison Heights.

The Downeys went to Niagara Falls, Canada, last weekend to collect one of the first auction donations: a drumhead signed by Don Henley of the Eagles.

"He is the love of my life. I don't hit the ground when I walk," said Melissa Downey, a fan of 32 years who wrote Henley about Honor Flight Michigan and was invited backstage to pick up the auction item.

Downey said she started to explain about the effort to get aging World War II veterans to their 3-year-old monument when Henley told her, "I know. I read your letter."

She said his father served in Italy during World War II, just like hers, and they had an interesting talk.

"He said he likes this project and he signed a gorgeous drumhead," added Downey, who got tickets to the June 3 concert for her birthday.

Thanks for those links, Soda, and DF, that's a great story about the Honor Flight fundraiser. That lady must have been so thrilled when she met Don and he had already heard about the fund. I'm sure the drumstick will raise a lot more money. I love to hear about the guys helping good causes.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...