Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eagles open their US Tour in Atlanta!

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Music columnist Bob Lefsetz agrees with us about the outrageous prices for concert tix these days. Here is part of today's column:
    --------------------------------------------

Do you remember the Christmas Club? That's where you opened an account at the bank, and deposited fifty cents, maybe even a dollar or five, each week, so you'd have enough money for Christmas presents at the end of the year. So you wouldn't find yourself peering into store windows BROKE!

Soon we're gonna need Concert Clubs. Savings accounts for concerts. I mean who can afford to go more than once a year? Not many, that's why we've got to put the ducats on sale LIGHT YEARS before the show takes place.

Used to be that concert tickets were not much more expensive than movie tickets. Now, they're a monthly car payment. Instead of live music being a regular habit, it's like going on vacation, a once a year event, that you look forward to that doesn't always deliver. Wouldn't it be better to go to multiple shows, and get immersed in the live experience?

OF COURSE NOT! BECAUSE I NEED MY @#$%ING MONEY!

LiveNation, AEG, the agents and promoters are going to make concertgoing such an exclusive privilege that the only ones able to go are themselves. The regular public is not only being priced out, they're being insulted. And with fewer great acts to see, and the people with the bread wanting to be up close and personal, who is going to go anymore?

It's not only Celine Dion, putting her shows on sale over a YEAR in advance. Springsteen sold next summer's shows before winter had technically started. Now, in today's "New York Times", there's an advertisement for James Taylor's Tanglewood shows IN JULY!

Promoters want to block out all competing events. They want to get your bread before you blow it on dinner or a dress. Before some other crusty act decides to tour this summer, or a new act arrives and steals JT's thunder. We need an edict. That you can't put tickets on sale more than two months out. Certainly not more than three.

Is anybody in it for the long term? Does anybody care about the fan? Is money the only thing that matters? Are we going to take every dollar from the table before everybody else in order to insure that WE'RE rich?

Don't tell me everybody's fine with it. They're not. TicketMaster is as hated as the major labels. As stated above, concertgoing is no longer a casual event, but planned way in advance, like going to college. Amazing that in the name of greed, no one's looking to the future.

--
    Thanks for posting this article, DF. I've highlighted my favourite line, and my response to that is: monthly car payment? Try salary!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Hi all!
    I'm a newbie here, but a long-time regular on another eagles' message board. I'm afraid I have to agree with Bob L. on this one. The fabulous Eagles have just about become a luxury I cannot afford. I feel a little bit better about it now that someone else, even someone related to the music business has voiced concern.

DonFan, I really wanted to get to Atlanta, but I think I'll have to pass this time. By the time I found out about the extra dates, they were sold out. If I was a close to Atlanta as you are, I'd still consider it, & I'm so happy that you & some of your Eagles buddies are getting to go. Wish I could've joned you.

I'm hoping to catch them later in the tour in a city nearer to me, & hope that some of the smaller venues won't be so pricey. I would have paid the Ticketmaster prices, but the seats just weren't available.

Anyhow, thanks for posting the article, & please provide us with detailed reviews. Have fun!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

BobL is right on the money on this one. It's crazy.

Margie, I agree that the ILAA tickets are astronomical. I don't think it's the guys who set these VIP package prices, but ILAA, who know what they can make. The Ticketmaster prices in London weren't too bad, but if you were working and couldn't get on at 9am, you missed the chance of getting decent seats at the basic price. By the time I had a look in the afternoon, all the best seats were sold out, so against my principles I bid over the odds on Ebay and got half decent seats. It remains to see if these tickets turn up...

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm sure they will GEF, but I'll keep my finger crossed for you.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Marla
    Hi all!
    I'm a newbie here, but a long-time regular on another eagles' message board. I'm afraid I have to agree with Bob L. on this one. The fabulous Eagles have just about become a luxury I cannot afford. I feel a little bit better about it now that someone else, even someone related to the music business has voiced concern.

DonFan, I really wanted to get to Atlanta, but I think I'll have to pass this time. By the time I found out about the extra dates, they were sold out. If I was a close to Atlanta as you are, I'd still consider it, & I'm so happy that you & some of your Eagles buddies are getting to go. Wish I could've joned you.

I'm hoping to catch them later in the tour in a city nearer to me, & hope that some of the smaller venues won't be so pricey. I would have paid the Ticketmaster prices, but the seats just weren't available.

Anyhow, thanks for posting the article, & please provide us with detailed reviews. Have fun!
    Welcome to The Border, Marla! It's great to have you here!

I'm sorry that you missed the opportunity to book tickets for the Eagles in Atlanta, but I hold thumbs for you that you will get to see them in a city near you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    Margie, I agree that the ILAA tickets are astronomical. I don't think it's the guys who set these VIP package prices, but ILAA, who know what they can make. The Ticketmaster prices in London weren't too bad, but if you were working and couldn't get on at 9am, you missed the chance of getting decent seats at the basic price. By the time I had a look in the afternoon, all the best seats were sold out, so against my principles I bid over the odds on Ebay and got half decent seats. It remains to see if these tickets turn up...
    Oh my gosh, GEF - don't talk like that!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

That is something that would worry me about buying tickets on Ebay. Fingers crossed that they are winging their way towards you right now.

They have added a fourth date in Atlanta now--May 20.

That's great, DF. Are you going a third time, then?