Page 27 of 103 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

All that fitness stuff helped him kick some bad habits (at least temporarily) and led him to find Cindy, so all in all I'll bet he looks back on it as a very smart move, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    Ah.... yeah.... OK.

(I did smile when it finished. There's no hope).
    FP, you crack me up! Are you unsure how you feel about that commercial? It seems Dreamer is also unsure! Whhhhy???
    I have always been uneasy about Glenn's commercials. I never saw the need for them. They were done at a time when Don was being the Big Serious Rock Star and Glenn seemed to be trivialising himself.
    I see your point, FP, but I must agree with Molly here. Certainly, fitness is not trivial, and even though the "Livin' Right" video is humorous, it makes an important point, which led him to the fitness commercial. With so many rock stars setting a bad example, it's refreshing that Glenn presented this wholesome image, while admitting that he'd made mistakes.

It has also been suggested that Don was somewhat envious of Glenn's attention to fitness during that period.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

I thought FP might appreciate this - scenes from Australian football set to "The Heat Is On." Man, that's a violent game!!!! "The pressure's high to stay alive" indeed!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXJJCXR37g[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't referring to Glenn's admirable fitness kick. I was referring very specifically to the commercials. Perhaps the Bally one is justifiable in terms of his life at the time. Are the Pepsi ones justifiable?

Soda, that link took me to a Chris Hillman video. However, I found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNXJJCXR37g

That was odd. I'm a rugby league fan. In NSW and Queensland we tend to look down on Aussie Rules as a game for 'softies'. Footage like that is rare. It was also quite old, with Footscray & Fitzroy still in the competition (they merged to become the Western Bulldogs). The song worked quite well with it though.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks FP I had noticed the same but hadn't intended saying anything in case it was an 'Ireland' problem!

The best of our Gaelic football crop play the Australians in a sort of 'compromise rules' series every year in October when the championship is over. It seems to be at least as physical as rugby IMHO!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Sorry about the link glitch, folks! Thanks for pointing it out - I've fixed it.

Now, regarding the commercials:

Glenn certainly thought the commercials were justifiable. Here's some quotes on the matter where he makes several good points:

"Sure, I did an ad for Pepsi, they're a corporation, but no-one talks about the $20 million, $40 million that these corporations injected into inner city projects. I'm a songwriter, I've got 21 people directly dependent on my turning over at least $1 million a year and these are the ways I make my songs work for me." (Juke 198

"There were a number of considerations I took into account before deciding to do [the Pepsi commercial.]... I have 20 people working for me who depend on how much money I make a year. Plus two elderly parents to support and you know Reaganomics is doing nothing to help them. Someone offers me a million bucks to do something, I think twice about it. Also, I have what is called in this business 'an image problem.' I didn't have one when I was with the Eagles. After we broke up, we had this joke about having cow skulls, neon lights, and hotels on the album covers. No one knew what we looked like, which made the leap into solo stardom a bit difficult. The Pepsi spot offered me visibility and a chance to work with Ridley Scott and Don Johnson. I also liked the premise of the commercial, and Pepsi was supposed to start a 'You Belong to the City' campaign where they'd donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to inner city projects to buy athletic equipment." (198

"People drink soda pop. I don’t consider Pepsi to be the enemy." (Bob Costas Interview 1992)

"If Little Steven and Neil Young don't like me doing Pepsi commercials, I trade insults at 40 paces. When has integrity ever been synonymous with rock'n'roll? [...] I know rock'n'roll is supposed to have a rebellious edge, a non-compromising, anti-establishment, us-against-them, alternative approach to the mainstream, but I don't know what's worse -- releasing 17 albums that sound like demos and taking the public's money for that or me taking a million dollars from Pepsi. Right, Neil? Who's ripping off who, guy? You haven't made a decent record since Harvest,Neil... I just don't think he should set himself up as rock'n'roll's conscience. As someone once put it, 'I have seen the future of rock'n'roll and I want my money back.'" (Hits 198

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I have read these comments before. I understand what he is saying.

He's wrong when he says Neil Young hasn't made a decent album since Harvest. He's right when he says that Neil got very holier than thou about all this.

But regarding the 'visibility' it didn't last very long, did it? It wasn't going to make people remember him as an artist, only as someone who did commercials.

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't referring to Glenn's admirable fitness kick. I was referring very specifically to the commercials. Perhaps the Bally one is justifiable in terms of his life at the time. Are the Pepsi ones justifiable?
    Justifiable?? It put money in his pocket and got him exposure. Aren't those the main goals of participating in advertising?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

It worked fine for me.

Wow, that is a rough game! No protection either!

How do you like those short, tight shorts? At first I thought it was a new video, and was thinking they still wear those short shorts? Then I noticed the date!

Edited to add: I guess I should read the whole thread before replying! I went completely away from recent comments!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Brooke, if you're referring to the shorts worn by the Aussie Rules players, yes, they still wear those as well as the sleeveless jerseys. :P
    Their uniforms are what women are supposed to be attracted to. I hasten to add, not in my case.

The footage isn't what the game is usually like. Compared to my own game, rugby league, it is pretty tame.

For the record the team I 'sort of' support is Collingwood, the players wearing in the black & white stripes. I don't support the Sydney Swans.

Molly, I understand why Glenn did the ads but he was scorned by his fellow rock musicians and the politically correct critics for doing it.