Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Swift

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: Taylor Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I am one that thinks this girl is so overrated. I don't think she sings very well in her live performances, at least the ones I have seen on tv.
    I also think it's a shame that she has to turn almost all of her big 3 month relationships into a song. The girl has been through 13 guys, all up & coming or big actors or singers over the past 4 years, ( Yeah, I looked that up)

I know she has a huge fan base, but seems that it's mostly the high school crowd. What really pissed me off was how many awards she has won in the Country Music genre, where I think she is much less talented than the others she was up against. But what do I know??? it's like Justin Beiber....I don't get all the hype over him either. Just not my thing, I guess or I am too old to appreciate or see the talent in either of these two?

I think it's a case of the latter -- it's just not your thing and/or maybe you are a smidge too old to really appreciate her, and that's fine. If I had a teenage daughter, I'd probably "get it" more than I do, but I can certainly appreciate how she consistently connects with her audience. She writes songs that they can relate to and personally embrace. I think there is enough negativity out there for teen and pre-teen girls to deal with. If Taylor can make legions of little girls have a better self-image and outlook on life, then I'm all for it. I don't know her personally and I certainly can't judge whether she's "been" with someone for three months or three years. She's an adult. She's over 21. I say lighten up.
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 08-19-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

HH--I agree with your post above mine
    She is very popular..My boss and her daughter love her.
    They go to her shows with her aunt and cousin.
    A real nice mom daughter activity in my opinion.

any way I think its so cool....they have had their tickets for her summer concert since before thanksgiving as well as the gal in the office who is in to kennychesney...she has hers too.
    I can appreciate it all cause how they feel about their "acts" is how I am about "the boys". So while they might not like my taste in music ...they cheer me on just as I do them...guess thats the definition of "Deversity"

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I am one that thinks this girl is so overrated. I don't think she sings very well in her live performances, at least the ones I have seen on tv.
    I also think it's a shame that she has to turn almost all of her big 3 month relationships into a song. The girl has been through 13 guys, all up & coming or big actors or singers over the past 4 years, ( Yeah, I looked that up)

I know she has a huge fan base, but seems that it's mostly the high school crowd. What really pissed me off was how many awards she has won in the Country Music genre, where I think she is much less talented than the others she was up against. But what do I know??? it's like Justin Beiber....I don't get all the hype over him either. Just not my thing, I guess or I am too old to appreciate or see the talent in either of these two?

I really have to disagree with you TK. I have been to see her live in Belfast in 2011 and she was absolutely fantastic. We were treated to a great evening of music. I wouldn't see her as being overrated either, and also I guess the way she has been introduced/exposed to the general public is a sign of the times and the way it is done for everyone rather than just for her. It seems that if you are young and upcoming your management uses a modus operandi that has you saturate the airwaves, take countless tours and release albums almost back to back. I'm not saying I'm 100% in agreement with this, its just the way its done.

I think her music strikes a chord with many young girls too. She sings of love, and heartbreak, and family, and trouble at school/bullying. Also of first relationships, things that all young girls experience as they reach towards adulthood. Its comforting for a young girl to realise that others go through the same feeings and emotions as they do. And come out OK at the other end.

I know my daughter loves her anyway! And many of her friends do too!

As regards the relationships - I guess its hard for many of the young men she dates to keep up with her.........! And if she can make a few $$$ out of composing a song about it.... why not!

However you do have a right to your own opinion and I'm not in any way trying to take from it. Just throwing in my tuppence worth!! My hubby also thought a band he used hear a lot in the 80's was overhyped too! Think they were called U2 or something......
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I really have to disagree with you TK. I have been to see her live in Belfast in 2011 and she was absolutely fantastic. We were treated to a great evening of music. I wouldn't see her as being overrated either, and also I guess the way she has been introduced/exposed to the general public is a sign of the times and the way it is done for everyone rather than just for her. It seems that if you are young and upcoming your management uses a modus operandi that has you saturate the airwaves, take countless tours and release albums almost back to back. I'm not saying I'm 100% in agreement with this, its just the way its done.

I think her music strikes a chord with many young girls too. She sings of love, and heartbreak, and family, and trouble at school/bullying. Also of first relationships, things that all young girls experience as they reach towards adulthood. Its comforting for a young girl to realise that others go through the same feeings and emotions as they do. And come out OK at the other end.

I know my daughter loves her anyway! And many of her friends do too!

As regards the relationships - I guess its hard for many of the young men she dates to keep up with her.........! And if she can make a few $$$ out of composing a song about it.... why not!

However you do have a right to your own opinion and I'm not in any way trying to take from it. Just throwing in my tuppence worth!! My hubby also thought a band he used hear a lot in the 80's was overhyped too! Think they were called U2 or something......
    I just think it's funny that so many young girls relate to her...How many of them are 6 foot skinny blondes with millions of bucks? Probably not many! Her life is nothing like the average teen... I guess the fact that she wins so many awards is what bothers me, as I don't feel that her voice is anything compared to people like Carrie Underwood or Reba, & most of the other country female singers. I just think there is a lot of hype about her, but that is the music business. You never know who will be the next big thing.

As for her personal life, looks like she has kept things quiet lately because I haven't seen her on the cover of People with her next guy! LOL

I was in a consignment store Friday taking a bunch of clothes to see if they would buy them Taylor Swift was playing on the music system.

when they were checking me out, she asked if I wanted to register for TS tickets. I almost snorted and said NO THANK you

I think the whole 'package' she offers (either the records or the concerts, or the videos for that matter) is excellent, and I'll be Captain Obvious and point that a lot of that is thanks to the hundreds of people working on that (producers, engineers, arrangers, session musicians, film crew, roadies, etc.).

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve her success... she does, obviously, and she's got that unique mixture of looks, talent, perseverance, luck, momentum, timing and good management in order to understand the 'game' and be incredibly successful at it.

One thing I do NOT like is her breathing technique, but that's just me being grumpy and picky. I love the production of 'I Knew You Were Trouble', it's so clean (well, it's Max Effing Martin after all) and detailed.

I'd like to meet her, but I'd LOVE to meet her producers, engineers, etc., I think they're true masters.

I'm probably better off not posting my opinion of her and the other current pop singers.. I think that in itself says what I think...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    I think the whole 'package' she offers (either the records or the concerts, or the videos for that matter) is excellent, and I'll be Captain Obvious and point that a lot of that is thanks to the hundreds of people working on that (producers, engineers, arrangers, session musicians, film crew, roadies, etc.).

That doesn't mean she doesn't deserve her success... she does, obviously, and she's got that unique mixture of looks, talent, perseverance, luck, momentum, timing and good management in order to understand the 'game' and be incredibly successful at it.

One thing I do NOT like is her breathing technique, but that's just me being grumpy and picky. I love the production of 'I Knew You Were Trouble', it's so clean (well, it's Max Effing Martin after all) and detailed.

I'd like to meet her, but I'd LOVE to meet her producers, engineers, etc., I think they're true masters.
    You should meet my daughter, SHE is TS mad!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    I was in a consignment store Friday taking a bunch of clothes to see if they would buy them Taylor Swift was playing on the music system.

when they were checking me out, she asked if I wanted to register for TS tickets. I almost snorted and said NO THANK you
    You could have registered for Laura though SC!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP