View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Eagles policy on standing at concerts?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's rude for people to stand when most folks are sitting - it blocks their view.

10 21.28%
  • No. I should be allowed to stand and dance whenever I want. That's part of the fun!

8 17.02%
  • Maybe. It depends on whether one of the few people standing is in front of me!

5 10.64%
  • I don't care. Whatever the Eagles want is cool with me. It's their show.

3 6.38%
  • I think the Eagles should just take it easy, let what happens happen, and not try to dictate when people can or cannot stand.

21 44.68%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Standing or Sitting?

Default Re: Standing or Sitting?

Reviving this old thread because I was watching a Janis Joplin documentary and I was reminded of it when she said this:

"The audience sitting down is a weird trip. It's like separateness. But when they're dancing, they're doing it with you. Like you said it to them and they've got it and you can play freer and freer."

Obviously that wasn't this band's philosophy!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Reviving this old thread because I was watching a Janis Joplin documentary and I was reminded of it when she said this:

"The audience sitting down is a weird trip. It's like separateness. But when they're dancing, they're doing it with you. Like you said it to them and they've got it and you can play freer and freer."

Obviously that wasn't this band's philosophy!

LOL - Soda - I agree. I don't know any other group who gets so bend out of shape about people standing. It is a concert for gosh sakes. Now with all the jumbo screens people can see the people performing on the stage. Not like the old days. I usually got stuck in front of someone 6 ft. tall and I am only 5'1".

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    LOL - Soda - I agree. I don't know any other group who gets so bend out of shape about people standing. It is a concert for gosh sakes. Now with all the jumbo screens people can see the people performing on the stage. Not like the old days. I usually got stuck in front of someone 6 ft. tall and I am only 5'1".
    I'm 5'1" too, New Kid, so I hear you - I hate crowds, I can never see around people!

I haven't been to a concert in years but I prefer a combination of both...I like to stand but sometimes you need to sit!

Border Rebel

I like to stand and dance for the rockers, but sit for the rest and still be able to see. I notice a lot of people have posted that they've paid a lot for the tickets so they should be able to stand. Well, I pay a lot for tickets and i should be able to see. One of the last concerts I went to, the people in front of us kept standing and trying to get everyone else to stand with them. Everyone else didn't and it really irked me that they kept standing.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I'm 5'1" too, New Kid, so I hear you - I hate crowds, I can never see around people!

I haven't been to a concert in years but I prefer a combination of both...I like to stand but sometimes you need to sit!

Groupie - I Agree. There are some songs in a concert where people should be sitting ie: for example when the Eagles do their ballads.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

The venues that I go too most frequently, especially the Seminole Hard Rock in Hollywood, Florida, have gotten pretty intolerant of people standing because it blocks the view of the people behind you, especially if you have floor seats that are obviously on one level. I understand but it can be a real buzzkill. They didn’t even allow dancing at a KC & the Sunshine Band show for Pete’s sake!

Banned

Cool Re: Standing or Sitting?

At most of the Dead shows I've been at - has to be at least 200 - most of the audience was neither standing nor sitting.

They were flying around high over the venue...

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    At most of the Dead shows I've been at - has to be at least 200 - most of the audience was neither standing nor sitting.

They were flying around high over the venue...
    Okay, laughed out loud at this one...

My thoughts haven't changed at all.

If they are sitting (like an acoustic performance), you should sit. If they stand, we have every right to stand. Now me personally I stand very rarely for certain reasons but I should have that right and so should shorter people.

To me the Eagles in their later years got pretty stuffy. Corporate-like stuffiness. Compare that 70s or even HFO footage. With HFO they were headed in that direction but not as noticeable as F1 and forward. I think a rock n' roll band shouldn't act and dress like businessmen on Wall Street. Informality is the very nature of rock n' roll. I don't want to go to a funeral. I want to go to a FUN rock concert. I have enough serious crap in my life, the last thing I want to go to is a concert where everyone onstage looks grumpy and act like they'd rather be anywhere but on that stage. It just dampens whatever music they are playing.

Maybe it's because I'm used to AC/DC (as just one example) where everyone on that stage is having the time of their life or at least convincingly acting like it (which I'm fine with). The fun energy in the room adds to the aural experience. Similarly, a stuffy "bad hair day" attitude can detract from even a great sonic performance. I fully believe that with concerts half the experience is visual. Otherwise we'd all just listen to studio records and hear them at their best.

I LOVED the Eagles and the shows I saw, don't get me wrong. But I still feel like sharing these thoughts which have been my thoughts on this from day one. It didn't ruin my shows but to me they got a little too serious for me in the later years. Relax guys. You are talented, rich, and privileged. Fake it if you must but at least act like you give a damn that people paid hard earned money to see you.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    My thoughts haven't changed at all.

If they are sitting (like an acoustic performance), you should sit. If they stand, we have every right to stand. Now me personally I stand very rarely for certain reasons but I should have that right and so should shorter people.

To me the Eagles in their later years got pretty stuffy. Corporate-like stuffiness. Compare that 70s or even HFO footage. With HFO they were headed in that direction but not as noticeable as F1 and forward. I think a rock n' roll band shouldn't act and dress like businessmen on Wall Street. Informality is the very nature of rock n' roll. I don't want to go to a funeral. I want to go to a FUN rock concert. I have enough serious crap in my life, the last thing I want to go to is a concert where everyone onstage looks grumpy and act like they'd rather be anywhere but on that stage. It just dampens whatever music they are playing.

Maybe it's because I'm used to AC/DC (as just one example) where everyone on that stage is having the time of their life or at least convincingly acting like it (which I'm fine with). The fun energy in the room adds to the aural experience. Similarly, a stuffy "bad hair day" attitude can detract from even a great sonic performance. I fully believe that with concerts half the experience is visual. Otherwise we'd all just listen to studio records and hear them at their best.

I LOVED the Eagles and the shows I saw, don't get me wrong. But I still feel like sharing these thoughts which have been my thoughts on this from day one. It didn't ruin my shows but to me they got a little too serious for me in the later years. Relax guys. You are talented, rich, and privileged. Fake it if you must but at least act like you give a damn that people paid hard earned money to see you.

I never saw the whole band in suits, but I did see Glenn in a suit. However it was appropriate because it was the After Hours tour. I understand people didn't like the Eagles in suits.

What was the clincher for me was the attitude at the last show I ever saw, Brisbane 2015, when I was front row centre. I already knew I couldn't take photos, on the one night I could have taken some of the best photos of all time. But it was the attitudes to people's phones that was astonishing. I got my phone out before the show & was told to put it away. BEFORE the show. As far as I was concerned they had no right whatsoever to police the audience's activities in that way when they were not on stage. The audience was left cowed & alienated, so that when they graced us with their presence & started telling stories about LA in 1971 we really were not that interestd any more. Of course, at intermission I didn't dare take the phone out. It was that attitude that had already made me decide I would never go & see them again (their actual performances on that tour also decided that, but that is a separate issue).
    If people think I overreacted, I think it is important to remember that I was already starting to lose interest in the band, and then Glenn died.