View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Eagles policy on standing at concerts?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's rude for people to stand when most folks are sitting - it blocks their view.

10 21.28%
  • No. I should be allowed to stand and dance whenever I want. That's part of the fun!

8 17.02%
  • Maybe. It depends on whether one of the few people standing is in front of me!

5 10.64%
  • I don't care. Whatever the Eagles want is cool with me. It's their show.

3 6.38%
  • I think the Eagles should just take it easy, let what happens happen, and not try to dictate when people can or cannot stand.

21 44.68%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Standing or Sitting?

Default Re: Standing or Sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I never saw the whole band in suits, but I did see Glenn in a suit. However it was appropriate because it was the After Hours tour. I understand people didn't like the Eagles in suits.

What was the clincher for me was the attitude at the last show I ever saw, Brisbane 2015, when I was front row centre. I already knew I couldn't take photos, on the one night I could have taken some of the best photos of all time. But it was the attitudes to people's phones that was astonishing. I got my phone out before the show & was told to put it away. BEFORE the show. As far as I was concerned they had no right whatsoever to police the audience's activities in that way when they were not on stage. The audience was left cowed & alienated, so that when they graced us with their presence & started telling stories about LA in 1971 we really were not that interestd any more. Of course, at intermission I didn't dare take the phone out. It was that attitude that had already made me decide I would never go & see them again (their actual performances on that tour also decided that, but that is a separate issue).
    I can understand the suit on the AH tour completely.

I had a similar situation happen to me at the HOTE show in St. Louis. I got my phone out even before the opening act started and was just going to check messages and this lady came over saying to put it away. I was shocked. She was with the venue security and said if I didn't put it away she wasn't going to page Eagles security and have me removed. It really started things off on the wrong foot, to say the least. It had me miffed before I even got settled in my seat.

For me, there is no valid reason to do that. I know this isn't the phone thread, but it still applies. They just got way too stuffy and lost some of the fun or even just decency. I was told if I needed to use my phone I needed to go outside.

I don't know who was to blame for this idea. I'm sure both Don and Glenn agreed on it and Glenn had to sign off on it, but whoever's idea it was, was a bad one.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I forgot there was a thread about phones. I don't have time to search for it.

To contribute: I prefer standing if I'm near the front & I'm not blocking people's view.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I fully believe that with concerts half the experience is visual. Otherwise we'd all just listen to studio records and hear them at their best.
    About that last sentence, I beg to differ. To quite a few Eagles fans, they are best live than in studio.

I, personally, really don't like any studio version of Eagles songs. The live songs, with their nuances are my favorites. In fact, in my computer and my phone, I don't have a studio version of Eagles songs. All of them are live bootlegs from the 70's till the 90's (post 1999 Eagles don't interest me). The slightest differences (eg:- Joe Walsh doing a pick scrape before changing guitars in Rocky Mountain Way or the way both of them do pick scrapes in the solo in Hotel California) are extremely obvious and important to me. Even the other few Eagles friends of mine who are minors are like me in this aspect. There is, in addition a rawness of a live bootleg which one would most probably not hear in studio. Their distortion and mixing is also rawer and more hardcore.

So, while I totally respect and understand what you said not all are content with studio versions.
    The chemistry... nuff said

And about this topic itself? Not sure what to say tbh. I just voted for the last option. They seem so stuffy after 1999. I can't really say because I never attended a concert. But I heard stories.

On a more off topic note, I love Eagles way more as a live band than in studio. Like Hotel California has more edge and character in live to me than in studio. The rawer, grittier guitars and the pick scraping are just... AWESOME!!! You guys gotta hear Boston 1979. Not a good bootleg, but in Hotel California, Felder's guitar is so prominent and the pick scrape from Felder is so EPIC! Live versions are what really make me determine my favorite songs. Like for example I like You Never Cry Like A Lover better than Best of My Love because it is better live (ik, terrible reason, but that's just the way I am). Also, the first thing I ever listened of Eagles was Hotel California from 1977 Capital Center.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    About that last sentence, I beg to differ. To quite a few Eagles fans, they are best live than in studio.

I, personally, really don't like any studio version of Eagles songs. The live songs, with their nuances are my favorites. In fact, in my computer and my phone, I don't have a studio version of Eagles songs. All of them are live bootlegs from the 70's till the 90's (post 1999 Eagles don't interest me). The slightest differences (eg:- Joe Walsh doing a pick scrape before changing guitars in Rocky Mountain Way or the way both of them do pick scrapes in the solo in Hotel California) are extremely obvious and important to me. Even the other few Eagles friends of mine who are minors are like me in this aspect. There is, in addition a rawness of a live bootleg which one would most probably not hear in studio. Their distortion and mixing is also rawer and more hardcore.

So, while I totally respect and understand what you said not all are content with studio versions.
    That’s where we differ. Just listen to stories about how they perfected everything and Glenn working on one line in Lyin’ Eyes a zillion times. I definitely like their studio recordings best as far as the most perfect version of a song. It’s been worked on for so long and you know every line has been scrutinized by GF/DH.

Maybe not all but I’d speculate the majority feel this way. YMMV.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post

Speaking for myself I don't have the ears or the patience or the knowledge to sift through endless live versions & try & work out if there any differences. I would not have a clue if someone changed one note or if they scraped a pick. Kudos to you if you claim you can do that, but it isn't my thing. I feel that way about ALL acts, not just the Eagles. There is only one live performance I can cite which almost surpasses the original, and that is Phil Collins The Roof Is Leaking at the Wiltern Theatre, and then only because it has been radically rearranged. Glenn did that with a couple of his solo songs, and I was pretty much the only person on this board who liked them (he did a jazz version of The Heat Is On & he slowed Smuggler's Blues down).

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

I've been to concerts & other events where people stood up in front of me. Sometime dancing!!!! It was really annoying,

To pick up on the live performance vs recorded version debate, there are times when I prefer a live version of a song, but I'd never go so far as to say I don't like the recorded version. For example, I prefer The Heart of the Matter live with the Eagles, for the gorgeous harmonies, over Henley's recorded version, but I still adore the recorded version. Other times, I don't like the arrangement on a live version - such as the addition of the saxophone or a fiddle where there was none before.

I've heard of the Eagles' no-phones policy, but did they really tell people they couldn't stand?

Border Desperado

When I saw them in 2013, I stood nearly the whole concert.
    I was on the back row, standing against the wall of the arena though....maybe that's why they didn't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    To pick up on the live performance vs recorded version debate, there are times when I prefer a live version of a song, but I'd never go so far as to say I don't like the recorded version. For example, I prefer The Heart of the Matter live with the Eagles, for the gorgeous harmonies, over Henley's recorded version, but I still adore the recorded version. Other times, I don't like the arrangement on a live version - such as the addition of the saxophone or a fiddle where there was none before.
    Understandable. Especially when you don't have the time or care to have so many bootlegs. For example, I love bootleg versions so much, I have 9 versions of Hotel California from different bootlegs spanning from the 70's till 90's in my phone. So I feel I have a great ear when it comes to this.

My first Eagles friends are even more experienced. They managed to pick out discrepancies to show the very shadiness of 1977 Capital Center.

Another thing is, you may have listened to studio first, but my first ever thing I listened to of the Eagles is Hotel from 1977 Capital Center. So ever since, I was a stickler to minor details. How perfect it is live, compared to other performances. How arrangement is changed, slightest variations are all things I listen to first. So, as a result, bootlegs with not the best quality are also in my phone. I detest them in studio so much, I don't even have one studio recording saved with me. Only live stuff is there.

I guess I really am weird lol.