View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Eagles policy on standing at concerts?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It's rude for people to stand when most folks are sitting - it blocks their view.

10 21.28%
  • No. I should be allowed to stand and dance whenever I want. That's part of the fun!

8 17.02%
  • Maybe. It depends on whether one of the few people standing is in front of me!

5 10.64%
  • I don't care. Whatever the Eagles want is cool with me. It's their show.

3 6.38%
  • I think the Eagles should just take it easy, let what happens happen, and not try to dictate when people can or cannot stand.

21 44.68%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Standing or Sitting?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Standing or Sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    Understandable. Especially when you don't have the time or care to have so many bootlegs. For example, I love bootleg versions so much, I have 9 versions of Hotel California from different bootlegs spanning from the 70's till 90's in my phone. So I feel I have a great ear when it comes to this.

My first Eagles friends are even more experienced. They managed to pick out discrepancies to show the very shadiness of 1977 Capital Center.

Another thing is, you may have listened to studio first, but my first ever thing I listened to of the Eagles is Hotel from 1977 Capital Center. So ever since, I was a stickler to minor details. How perfect it is live, compared to other performances. How arrangement is changed, slightest variations are all things I listen to first. So, as a result, bootlegs with not the best quality are also in my phone. I detest them in studio so much, I don't even have one studio recording saved with me. Only live stuff is there.

I guess I really am weird lol.

You have knowledge that others haven't.

The problem with talking about bootleg versions is that those who have not heard them cannot join the discussion. At least we can all discuss the studio versions.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    I detest them in studio so much, I don't even have one studio recording saved with me. Only live stuff is there.

I guess I really am weird lol.
    Honestly, since they tried so very hard to duplicate their studio versions in their live performances, I am surprised that you detest the studio performances. To each his own.

I have listened to tons of live versions. I have found a very few that are exceptional, such as Peaceful Easy Feeling from Hell Freezes Over Second Night. However, most of their live performances are simply too close to the studio versions to be of special note to me.

This discussion belongs elsewhere, though. Isn't there a thread for this already? If not, create one. This thread is about standing and sitting at concerts, and the band's policy on the matter.

I have always thought the band should not try to control it. Let people get "peer pressured" to sit by the people around them if there's an issue; don't get security involved. It's stressful to try to figure out when it's OK to stand and people are often afraid to stand even during fast numbers - better safe than sorry - don't want a Black Shirt coming and threatening to kick you out. That's just freaking SAD.

I'll never forget Don telling someone to sit down from the freaking stage in Chicago. The poor thing was just standing and clapping along with a big smile on her face. He humiliated her in front of everyone.

I get, as an audience member, not wanting people in front of you to stand when you're sitting. Personally, I don't enjoy standing if no one else is standing because I feel awkward and self-conscious, so I choose not to stand unless there are at least some other people doing so. I just think the band should stay out of it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

As others have said, I think you can determine for yourself if standing is appropriate, and act accordingly. Security should take action with loud and obnoxious folks, standing or not. But I would think that for the most part, the ones down close standing and dancing are the biggest fans at the show. They paid the most for their ticket, and are more into the music. They might be oblivious to those around them in their excited state!
    I am short, too, and don't like my view blocked. But I had rather be around people excited and having fun than irritated folks constantly whining about what they don't like ( such as being told to sit) and groaning things like "I don't know this song...when are they gonna play Hotel California?" and "Which one is Randy Meisner?"
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Honestly, since they tried so very hard to duplicate their studio versions in their live performances, I am surprised that you detest the studio performances. To each his own.

I have listened to tons of live versions. I have found a very few that are exceptional, such as Peaceful Easy Feeling from Hell Freezes Over Second Night. However, most of their live performances are simply too close to the studio versions to be of special note to me.

This discussion belongs elsewhere, though. Isn't there a thread for this already? If not, create one. This thread is about standing and sitting at concerts, and the band's policy on the matter.

I have always thought the band should not try to control it. Let people get "peer pressured" to sit by the people around them if there's an issue; don't get security involved. It's stressful to try to figure out when it's OK to stand and people are often afraid to stand even during fast numbers - better safe than sorry - don't want a Black Shirt coming and threatening to kick you out. That's just freaking SAD.

I'll never forget Don telling someone to sit down from the freaking stage in Chicago. The poor thing was just standing and clapping along with a big smile on her face. He humiliated her in front of everyone.

I get, as an audience member, not wanting people in front of you to stand when you're sitting. Personally, I don't enjoy standing if no one else is standing because I feel awkward and self-conscious, so I choose not to stand unless there are at least some other people doing so. I just think the band should stay out of it.
    I understand. But at the same time, while I agree Frey and Henley tried to make it painstakingly close to studio, Walsh and Felder (e.g.) deviated many times from this. Look at certain songs: Doolin Dalton, Hotel California, You Never Cry Like a Lover, Take It Easy. Esp. with Walsh and Felder, they were quite different (not wildly, but you get the point). To elaborate, in Hotel, Walsh plays the beginning of his part differently, and pick scraping is done which is definitely NOT a part of studio. With this I end here. The point is, a few people desire the imperfection and rawness of a bootleg.

I just talked quite a lot because WalshFan made a suggestion about everyone being only fine with studio versions. That's why. If you want, I'll delete my posts.

And about that incident, sad! Henley shocks me sometimes. I notice all the stuffy anecdotes nearly everytime involve Henley.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

My personal concert preference is to stand and dance if the music is lively. I'm 6' 4" and my now wife is 5'5" so she generally stands in front of me so we at least aren't double blocking the view. It is more enjoyable if those around are dancing as well. If someone is standing in front of me then I will stand - it does tend to create a ripple effect. I do feel self conscious if there are mostly people sitting - and at an Eagles concert many of the attendees aren't in the best shape to stand for extended periods. I think the band feeds off the crowd and if they are up on stage rocking away and the audience is just sitting on their butts, it isn't the greatest experience. There are the people that just stand and don't move which I don't quite understand, but they have paid for their ticket so I think they can do as they wish. Far more annoying to me, are they people who talk or continually walk back & forth to the concessions or restroom while the band is performing.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    My personal concert preference is to stand and dance if the music is lively. I'm 6' 4" and my now wife is 5'5" so she generally stands in front of me so we at least aren't double blocking the view. It is more enjoyable if those around are dancing as well. If someone is standing in front of me then I will stand - it does tend to create a ripple effect. I do feel self conscious if there are mostly people sitting - and at an Eagles concert many of the attendees aren't in the best shape to stand for extended periods. I think the band feeds off the crowd and if they are up on stage rocking away and the audience is just sitting on their butts, it isn't the greatest experience. There are the people that just stand and don't move which I don't quite understand, but they have paid for their ticket so I think they can do as they wish. Far more annoying to me, are they people who talk or continually walk back & forth to the concessions or restroom while the band is performing.
    I'm 6'8 so normally I don't stand as I do feel for those sitting behind me. But I think it should be up to the people attending.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I chose the last option. It should depend on the songs and the crowd’s mood and outlook. When I saw Henley’s solo concert last year, most of the time we sat. A month or so later, at Duran Duran’s concert, I along with most everyone else, stood and danced the whole time, except for maybe 1 or 2 songs. The crowd was somewhat younger than the one at Don’s show, too. I don’t worry too much about blocking someone’s view b/c I’m short. However, I will sit down and maybe get up periodically if the people behind me are mostly sitting. My husband tends to stay seated which is a good thing since he’s 6’3.

To tie-in with the live show comments, I was listening to a 1975 Seattle bootleg concert, and Glenn can be heard saying, “Alright, thank you, let’s dance, let’s stand up and have a good time!” right before Oh Carol (a live vs studio performance would be an interesting topic).

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    At most of the Dead shows I've been at - has to be at least 200 - most of the audience was neither standing nor sitting.

They were flying around high over the venue...

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I have to say peneumbra cracked me up too !

Boy, we have some tall guys on the board. I am only 5'1" and have always wished I was taller. Such is life.

Most concert I go to, people sit. For me. I do not like to have a tall picture in from of me. I'm 5'5 1/2 and if someone taller than me is front of me, I'll be moving side to side throughout the night trying to see because the person in front of me keeps moving and it makes me not enjoy the concert. To think about it now, I rather seat in the stadium style seats than on the floor.

When I saw Don last year, I think we did stand toward the end, but we were standing majority of the time. When I saw Joe two years ago, we stood toward the end.

I can't stand that longer anymore since I broke my ankle last year. It just depends. If everybody is standing, I will stand.

Austin. I didn't know you were that tall.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Me neither! Dang, 6’8” is impressive.