Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

Belated happy birthday to OTB! I love the album (my second favourite behind Desperado) and the cover art too! This is probably my favourite era of the band in a live sense too (when they still had a relatively light catalog so would play deep cuts aplenty, and weren't terrified of doing anything not exactly as it was in the studio, etc.).

It does sadly get overlooked in Eagles history; most media profiles of the band seem to slide straight from them running around pretending to be outlaws to being catapulted into fame with the success of One of These Nights, sadly so did the Hitsory doc. Ol' 55, My Man and good Day in Hell are amongst my favourite Eagles songs ever.

Happy Belated 45th Birthday to On The Border.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I can't believe it's 45. I agree that it's underrated. It's a real turning point for the band and I personally think it's great.

I think this applies:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

This album was a step in the right direction by the band for me to become a fan.

Had they continued on with the straightahead California country/country-rock sound I would have never been a fan. The Desperado album is not my cup of tea, and while there were a couple tracks on "LP" I liked, they really only picked up to me with On The Border. I think Glenn and Don both wanted to rock more, Bernie and Randy maybe not so much. I think they shine when doing guitar-driven classic rock n' roll songs.

With Felder onboard they could rock a bit. And with One Of These Nights, they continued down that path (much to Bernie's dismay). And they completed the transition to an arena rock band with adding Joe Walsh and replacing Bernie Leadon and doing Hotel California and The Long Run. Then with both Felder and Walsh, they could really rock. Add Frey's solid rhythm chops and occasional solos - you had a rockin' band.

Already Gone, Good Day In Hell, and James Dean are my favorites from this. Already Gone is my 2nd favorite Eagles song, so I have to give serious props to OTB.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I remembered the interview Bill did with Joe on the Sirius radio back in 2018. I can't get over the story of Bill talking about him going to England and he had lunch with Glyn. Glyn listens to it and said it sucks. Well who has the last laugh now? LOL

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Already Gone, Good Day In Hell, and James Dean are my favorites from this. Already Gone is my 2nd favorite Eagles song, so I have to give serious props to OTB.
    Some of my favorites, too... but I have to add Ol' 55 and the title track.

This album (on cassette) was pretty much what played in my car… uh, yeah, constantly. Someone who traveled as a passenger quite often once complained, "Do we have to listen to this again?" I replied, "No, you can get out and walk." Hey! My car… my rules. (Wish I still had that car. 1981 Camaro Fastback, black with silver — and I mean silver — leather interior, four on the floor, electric windows, and — of course — t-tops. My TIE-fighter. It was my college graduation present to myself.)

Happy anniversary, On the Border! I love this album too, although I can't decide if this or Hotel California is my favorite. I love how much Glenn is featured on this album, that certainly changed, in later years.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love this album too, but I do love all their albums! Already Gone and Good Day in Hell and two of my all time favorite Eagles songs. \

Can NOT believe it 45! My how time flies!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I remembered the interview Bill did with Joe on the Sirius radio back in 2018. I can't get over the story of Bill talking about him going to England and he had lunch with Glyn. Glyn listens to it and said it sucks. Well who has the last laugh now? LOL
    LOL! Well, Glyn, I guess you missed the boat on that one!

I do give him credit for the beautiful "Best of My Love" though!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 46th Birthday to the On The Border album.