Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

The first Eagles album where I could listen to more than 2 or so tracks.

I really like the rock edge on Already Gone, James Dean, Good Day In Hell, heck even the title track. I also liked Best Of My Love, it might have been country tinged but it wasn't to a point where I was turned off like I was on the first two.

Already Gone, at this point, is my second favorite Eagles song and my favorite to play live with my band. Getting to play Glenn's solo is really awesome for me.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I like OTB too. So many good songs on this album: AG, Ol' 55, BOML, James Dean, MF. The best move they ever made was deciding to go with Bill S.
    So, Happy belated Birthday to On The Border.
    Ditto this year too !

BTW - I did not think Don F. played on James Dean. I thought he only played on AG & GDIH.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Ditto this year too !

BTW - I did not think Don F. played on James Dean. I thought he only played on AG & GDIH.
    Chaim and I have had this debate before, we really think it's Don Felder doing the quick rock licks during the intro. Whenever him and Bernie played live, Felder would do those licks. It makes no sense if they were Bernie's, why wouldn't he play them. He was still playing guitar on that song, not like a ICTYW type tradeoff. He may not be credited but I'll bet til my dying day that it was Felder doing those quick rock licks. Maybe Frey if not Felder. But that's just not a style or phrasing I ever heard from Bernie. I'm still saying it was Felder uncredited.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I played this today in preparation of Survivor and I'm going to have trouble. I liked every track.

Listening to the lyrics of GDIH, it seemed like there was a lot sexual inuendo or words that could be misheard. Like "Truckin'" and "fork" as well as "sticky situations".

However, according to Don Henley,
    "Good Day in Hell" was Glenn's little tribute to Danny Whitten and Gram Parsons. It's also another one of our running commentaries on the perils of the music business and the lifestyle that often comes with it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Austin - You and Toni could be right about Felder playing on the studio recording of James Dean; however, everything I've ever read (books, interviews, band comments, etc.) have never mentioned it as far as I can remember. I also can't recall Felder mentioning this before. And, hate to say it, but as much as he likes to take credit for his contributions, I would have thought he surely would have mentioned this at some point. I'll have to get go back and recheck his book when I get a chance to see if I somehow overlooked it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy 45th Anniversary to On the Border!!

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the Eagles celebrated this by releasing a deluxe edition with bonus tracks: “Oh Darling Wait and See”, “Georgia Peach” and Bernie’s Nice Ballad?

I guess we’ll have to wait until a really special anniversary like the 50th for that to happen.

Anyway, this is an underrated album, there’s so much versatility and great musicianship. It’s still my favorite on most days.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the Eagles celebrated this by releasing a deluxe edition with bonus tracks: “Oh Darling Wait and See”, “Georgia Peach” and Bernie’s Nice Ballad?

I guess we’ll have to wait until a really special anniversary like the 50th for that to happen.

Anyway, this is an underrated album, there’s so much versatility and great musicianship. It’s still my favorite on most days.

Nothing would make me happier than to see a deluxe edition of ON THE BORDER!!! As far as I can tell, this is probably the only Eagles album that actually had a significant number of other completed songs that were not used so they could do a lot with it. I'm not holding my breath, however.

This is an underrated album, but I still think I prefer DESPERADO overall.

Yay! One of my two favorite Eagles' albums! (I, too, have an affinity for "Desperado".) OTB is the first Eagles' album I ever bought.

Happy Anniversary!

P.S. According to the Gary Burden art book that features this cover (among many others), the artwork was purchased at a garage sale for a quarter.

Stuck on the Border

Delilah - I love this album too ! It would be awesome if they released a deluxe edition with bonus tracks of those songs. However, they seem content to release the same things over and over. I guess we cannot hold our breath on this one.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 45TH ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

I love the idea of a deluxe edition or even an album of previously unreleased songs that the band recorded or performed.

I love the On the Border album, but I rate it about the middle of the pack for me in terms of favorites. I also love the cover art - not bad for a quarter!

P.S. I miss our board styles for the albums - this was one of my favorites.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016