Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

Maybe log out and log back in? If that doesn't work, just select the On the Border style from the drop-down menu on the bottom left of the front page.

Regarding the album, I really like the guitar part Felder contributed to Already Gone, but since he wasn't involved in the other songs except for Good Day in Hell, I can't say his presence made that much of a difference in their sound on this album. Still, like I said, that is one slammin' guitar part!

As I've said before, my favorite is Best of My Love, and I'm soooo glad they added it to the set! Now they just need to add back Already Gone and Ol' 55 from this album!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Maybe log out and log back in? If that doesn't work, just select the On the Border style from the drop-down menu on the bottom left of the front page.
    That worked! Thanks! I didn't want to be 'out of it'!

As for the album, I love it! Like all Eagles albums! Already Gone is one of my all time favorites and hope they put it back in their setlist. A wish would be to hear Good Day In Hell live, too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Regarding the album, I really like the guitar part Felder contributed to Already Gone, but since he wasn't involved in the other songs except for Good Day in Hell, I can't say his presence made that much of a difference in their sound on this album. Still, like I said, that is one slammin' guitar part!

As I've said before, my favorite is Best of My Love, and I'm soooo glad they added it to the set! Now they just need to add back Already Gone and Ol' 55 from this album!
    True. But IIRC he also played on James Dean - all of the live videos I've seen show him playing that lead with Bernie like was heard on the record - another one of my favs on there. I think it's on that DKRC film and also Houston '77. I've only seen Glenn play rhythm on that one and usually Felder/Leadon or Felder/Walsh did the twin leads. It sounds like Felder's Les Paul on the song, fatter than the other guitars on it.

And for me although he's only prominent/featured on 2/3 songs it was the start of something big - more rock and twin guitar solos and both of those are huge for a rock but also guitar duo fan like me. Of course when Walsh came in it went to what is called "classic rock".
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 03-22-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    And for me although he's only prominent/featured on 2/3 songs it was the start of something big - more rock and twin guitar solos and both of those are huge for a rock but also guitar duo fan like me. Of course when Walsh came in it went to what is called "classic rock".
    I really can't word it any better than you, so I'll just keep nodding in agreement.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Happy Birthday "On the Border"...just had to get it out and listen to it today...soo many good songs..

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    True. But IIRC he also played on James Dean - all of the live videos I've seen show him playing that lead with Bernie like was heard on the record - another one of my favs on there. I think it's on that DKRC film and also Houston '77. I've only seen Glenn play rhythm on that one and usually Felder/Leadon or Felder/Walsh did the twin leads. It sounds like Felder's Les Paul on the song, fatter than the other guitars on it.

I can totally see why you consider it the start of something big, even though he only played on two songs.

I did go and check it just to make sure on the album liner note credits - you never know when I remember something wrong - but turns out my memory was correct in this case.

One of the reasons they brought Felder in was so he could play guitar live while Glenn and Bernie switched to other instruments - perhaps dual guitar, whatever. Don't be fooled by live performances. The guitar on that song is credited to Bernie Leadon in the liner notes. Let's give Bernie his deserved props!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

Like many of you, I also absolutely LOVE this album. Also, like many of you, Already Gone is my favorite. However, I pretty much love all the songs on the album. I have to agree with Soda though that I don't think Felder's presence on Already Gone and Good Day In Hell is a huge influence the overall sound of this album. However, his work on the two songs was definitely impressive enough to land him a spot in the band.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Happy Anniversary, On The Border!

Gotta say, I have a lot of favorites on this album. Most recently it's been Good Day In Hell, but I also love Best Of My Love, Already Gone, On The Border, Ol' 55, Midnight Flyer and James Dean. Just a really good album altogether.
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Love this album too!!! Tori, I think you've covered my favorites, but I lve all the songs. I keep going back & forth between this album & Desperado as to which is my favorite Eagles album.

I can totally see why you consider it the start of something big, even though he only played on two songs.

I did go and check it just to make sure on the album liner note credits - you never know when I remember something wrong - but turns out my memory was correct in this case.

One of the reasons they brought Felder in was so he could play guitar live while Glenn and Bernie switched to other instruments - perhaps dual guitar, whatever. Don't be fooled by live performances. The guitar on that song is credited to Bernie Leadon in the liner notes. Let's give Bernie his deserved props!
    Hmm. I wonder if they double tracked the twin solo at the end, if it was Bernie alone. It sounds like a Les Paul to me (too fat to be a Tele/Strat) so I bet Leadon used his LP Deluxe, which you can see in some vids. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the studio!

And just for clarification I didn't mean Felder was the only thing good about the album, it's just that his presence on AG and such is what made the album my 2nd fav to me personally. Hence "make" the album for me. But I love lots of songs from OTB. AG, JD, GDIH, BOML, and OTB are my favs. I much prefer the whole feel and vibe of this album to its predecessor. More rock, less country. Even songs that Felder didn't play on are more rocking, JD as a good example. Just that shift in sound. I even like stuff like Midnight Flyer. This album seems more upbeat and whatnot compared to Desperado and Eagles LP, rock and country aside, the whole vibe seems more upbeat than the previous two albums. I'm always more for upbeat stuff anyway - even with songs like Ol' 55 and BOML, it still seems more upbeat than the other two to me.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 03-22-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."