Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

Yes, I also want to add my accolades to the Celebration of 'On The Border'. I also love this album. It is my 2nd favorite overall, right after their true masterpiece, Desperado. But, I think sometimes On The Border gets somewhat lost in the shuffle of their other great albums (Like Desperado, Hotel California, and their later albums), and doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves as a great album itself. I really like every song on the album, there are no weak tracks, but some of the standouts for me are Already Gone (perhaps their best pure rocker?), James Dean, Good Day in Hell, My Man, Ol' 55, and Best of My Love. My only complaint - sure wish they would have included Bernie's lost rocker, 'Georgia Peach' on the album (instead it seems lost forever).

Just a couple other comments about what others have said. First, I think the notion that this was the album where The Eagles moved away from country-rock and became a more straight-forward rock band is way overstated, and not really supported by the music itself. Although the addition of Felder certainly added some scintillating guitar leads to Already Gone (and would later lead to a harder rock edge), overall this album is no more 'Rockin' or any less 'country' than its predecessor. Desperado, although often cited for it's 'country' sound, is really not very country at all. More Bluegrass influence yes, but that's different from 'country'. Desperado contained 2 of their hardest rockin' songs in Outlaw Man and Out of Control. Yes, The Eagles 'Rocked Out' just fine even before Felder and Walsh came along. And the songs on On The Border have just as much 'country' influence as Desperado. Midnight Flyer is an all-out Bluegrass stomper (as was Twenty-One on Desperado), and Pedal Steel guitar (an obvious 'country' influence) is featured on at least 3 other songs. In fact, this is a classic album that fully utilizes their unique 'country-rock' style to the fullest. That is one of the reasons it is so great. I also would disagree that it is inherently more upbeat than previous albums. More Uptempo, yes, and perhaps a bit brighter sound mix, but not really more upbeat, in that the themes and issues of the songs are still quite dark and ominous (but we like that, don't we?).

Anyway, a great album, and great partly because of it's superb mix of rock and country influences throughout.
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

You make very good points, BBKron, and I find myself agreeing with most of them. While I do think the album has two weaker songs - "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track - I enjoy the others very much. It is definitely a strong album that often gets overlooked. While "Best of My Love" was their first number 1 hit, One of These Nights is when the band started really churning the hits out. I guess that's why OTB sometimes doesn't get its props, but it's in my top 3 Eagles albums.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The week is drawing to a close, but I've gotta post a couple more videos of my faves from the album:

Best of My Love (I love this performance; Don's voice is so sexy; the harmonies are great; looks-wise, Don and Glenn are too hot for words to describe - the addition of Souther is a bonus, too!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoNKK32FiU[/ame]

And although everyone may not be able to access this (it's on MySpace), here's a lovely version of Ol' 55 from the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974 - I love Glenn on the piano; I love the back-and-forth vocals with Don; I love everything about this song and performance except for Glenn's hair getting in his way and hiding his face, lol.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...NVSikA&cad=rja

After watching that Ol 55 video I remembered why I fell in love with the song. I hope they add it to their setlist next year.

You make very good points, BBKron, and I find myself agreeing with most of them. While I do think the album has two weaker songs - "You Never Cry Like a Lover" and the title track - I enjoy the others very much. It is definitely a strong album that often gets overlooked. While "Best of My Love" was their first number 1 hit, One of These Nights is when the band started really churning the hits out. I guess that's why OTB sometimes doesn't get its props, but it's in my top 3 Eagles albums.
    I agree with most of these statements, but I can't agree that YNCLAL & OTB are weaker that the others on the album. I must admit that I didn't care for them at first, but as I listened to them more & more I have come to really appreciate them. They are now among my favorites. I think they are very good songs. Nancy, I know how you feel about the lyrics of YNCLAL .

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    And although everyone may not be able to access this (it's on MySpace), here's a lovely version of Ol' 55 from the Don Kirshner Rock Concert in 1974 - I love Glenn on the piano; I love the back-and-forth vocals with Don; I love everything about this song and performance except for Glenn's hair getting in his way and hiding his face, lol.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...NVSikA&cad=rja
    This is one of my all time favorite videos, much for the reasons that you cited, Soda. Love the few extra notes that Glenn adds. I must convert this to mp3 so I can add it to my iPod. I like it even better than the album version (Millenium concert included)!

Playing the CD today, I got choked up listening to "My Man" because of Willie's friend Brandon. Songs like that will never lose their power.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75IZ4ZL9joI[/ame]

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Thank you for posting that one, Soda!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I agree with most of these statements, but I can't agree that YNCLAL & OTB are weaker that the others on the album. I must admit that I didn't care for them at first, but as I listened to them more & more I have come to really appreciate them.
    There is one part of the title track I really like - where the guys are singing "on the border... I'm out on the border" over and over while Don sings over them "Leave me be - I'm just walking the line" etc. That is a cool groove.

This is one of my all time favorite videos, much for the reasons that you cited, Soda. Love the few extra notes that Glenn adds. I must convert this to mp3 so I can add it to my iPod. I like it even better than the album version (Millenium concert included)!
    I did the same thing (converted it to MP3). Love it!

And I should've posted these videos earlier, instead of all at once... but here's Midnight Flyer live!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKkCKiX9l9o[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Again, I'm loving listening to all of these videos. Thanks for posting them Soda.

I would have to say though that I don't think On the Border or You Never Cry Like a Lover are weak songs either. I pretty much agree with BBKron in that I don't think any of the songs on this album are weak - I enjoy every track from start to finish.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Playing the CD today, I got choked up listening to "My Man" because of Willie's friend Brandon. Songs like that will never lose their power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75IZ4ZL9joI
    Well I told myself I wouldn't cry today but that didn't work out so well. I never thought about that but you're right-the lyrics to that song say it all. I just posted it on my FB because it really does fit. Thanks Soda.
    He sings it high, he plays it low