Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

Definitely underrated, I guess because they didn't really start being super successful until One Of These Nights even though Best Of My Love was a hit.
    ~Sara

Today, March 22, On the Border turns 40!!! Can you believe it?!

HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY, ON THE BORDER!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON THE BORDER

Cracking album and probably their most underrated. Gotta love the likes of Ol' 55, Midnight Flyer and Best of My Love

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

HAPPY 40TH ON THE BORDER!!

I can remember being so excited to go buy this LP and hear their new songs.
    My only complaint was that beautiful white cover that seemed to attract dirt and grim. I always ripped off the plastic wrap when I got a new LP so this cover never had a chance to stay pristine!
    Last edited by Houston Baby; 03-22-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Happy Birthday On The Border!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Desperado

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON THE BORDER!!

A great album that has stood the test of time!

Border Troubadour

In honour of its birthday I'll share my thoughts on it:

Already Gone - If you were to listen to every Eagles album back to back chronologically, the starkest immediate contrast would be between Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise and this. In a way it's probably the most complete Eagles song to me - rocky with country influences, some bang on harmonies, wonderful guitar work (especially the little duel solo in the middle) and some simply brilliant lyrics. Easily a mainstay in my Top 10 Eagles songs

You Never Cry Like a Lover - Probably my least favourite from the album, but in all fairness I haven't listened to it as much as the others. The intro is nice enough but I wouldn't hesitate skipping it

Midnight Flyer - I love this song. The banjo is brilliant, Randy's voice is as good as ever, and Glenn's outro is probably his best guitar work alongside ICTWY: on a similar note Randy's bass is very nice also. It gets knocked a bit for being too bluegrass, but I think it's a rather unique member of the guy's discography

My Man - Quite an emotional song for me. I've seen a bit of debte about whether it's about Gram Parsons or another bloke Bernie knew, but either way it's a beautiful tribute. The harmonies are so wonderful, especially 'he's gone far beyond...' parts of the chorus

On the Border - I get the impression you either adore this song or detest it. I'm the former. It's one of Henley's finest drumming performances for me, and I love the 'Never mind your name' part to it. Not as strong as some of the other songs, but a decent inclusion nonetheless

James Dean - Not one of my favourite Eagles songs, but I love the raw energy and the sheer (and I have to be honest) downright sexiness of the guitars on it. Lyrics are a bit meh but I do like the 'Too fast to live, too young to die' section. Sadly so, so true

Ol' 55 - The greatest song the Eagles ever did. The haunting loneliness of Glenn's piano and the wonderful accompaniment from Bernie's steel pedal are the perfect backdrop to Glenn's vocals, as well as his, Randy and Henley's chorus harmony. I am actually struggling to put into words my love for this song, it's one in a thousand for me

Is It True - My least favourite alongside YNCLIAL currently. That may change if I ever listen to it more however

Good Day in Hell - Love the guitar work and maintained harmony throughout. Also the reason a certain Mr. Felder got involved with the band, which is probably the best thing they ever did as a group

Best of My Love - I can take it or leave it. Once more I love Bernie's steel pedal, and the harmonies are so fine, but there's just something about it that doesn't click with me

Thanks for your thoughts! I was listening to the album in the car today. BOML and "Already Gone" are my fave tracks, but I adore "Ol' 55" and "My Man" as well.

SO GLAD THEY ARE DOING BOTH "BEST OF MY LOVE" AND "ALREADY GONE" FOR THIS TOUR!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 40th Anniversary to the OTB album. My favorite songs from this album are BOML and AG.

I'm starting to like Ol 55. I would always skipped this song when I listen to my The Very Best of the Eagles CD.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY TO ON THE BORDER!!!

Sorry I missed posting this yesterday. For sure, this will be the featured album in my CD player this week. If I went back and read this thread, I'm sure I'll be repeating myself by saying I agree that this is a very underrated album. I love it - my favorites are also Already Gone and The Best of My Love, but I give high marks to all of the songs. And thanks for your album review, tlr. I love hearing others thoughts about Eagles songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016