Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Default Re: "On the Border" Anniversary Appreciation Thread

On The Border is one of my favorite cds. I listen to this cd at least once a week.

My favorite songs:

Already Gone~ A fun song right from the start. I wish they would include this in every setlist. One of my all time favorite songs.

You Never Cry Like A Lover~ I like this song. I usually repeat this two or three times when I'm listening to the cd. The melody and lyrics are incredible. I love how Glenn uses his voice, throughout the whole song. And how it plays off Don's voice. Unless I'm driving I listen to this one with my eyes closed.

Midnight Flyer~ This is about the only Eagles song I skip over. A little too "country-fried" for me.

My Man~ another one of my all time favorites. Soothing southern rock vibe. Same vibe I get when I hear Skynrd's Curtis Low or Tesla's Song and Emotion.

One more then I have to go, and will finish later.

On The Border~ Don brings out the funk for this one. Makes me want to put some shades on and sit on the porch. Don't ask me why it just does. A little comical too. I love the change in tempo about half way into the song.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Love reading everyone's thoughts on this album. Another thing that made this such a transitional album for the band, besides bringing in Felder, was that they started recording the album in London with Glyn Johns producing it (as they had with Eagles and Desperado), but ended up leaving London in frustration. They came back to the states, hired Bill Szymczyk to finish production on the remainder of the album, and he has been the band in some capacity ever since.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Coincidentally, Best of My Love came up recently in an interview Willie found of Don from the Deminski & Doyle show. In it, he says that's the song that he is most dissatisfied with and would like to redo. Yet, it was their first number 1 hit and is much beloved. I found that very interesting!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

This is a great idea for a thread, Soda, and I love the default theme for The Border.

Second to "Long Road Out Of Eden", "On The Border" is my favourite Eagles album.

"Already Gone", "Best Of My Love", the title track, "Good Day In Hell" and "James Dean" are among my favourite Eagles recordings. I also love "Ol' 55". I also enjoy "Midnight Flyer" very much. Glenn's slide guitar work on that song, as well as Randy's bass work, are top class.

The lyrics "and then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself" from "Already Gone" still brings a smile to my face whenever I hear it sung .

I've always wondered who the lead guitarist was on "You Never Cry Like A Lover" - the playing sounds so George Harrisonesque, which to me, as a Beatles fan, is very interesting. Sadly, there is no credit in the liner notes.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_For_Life View Post
    On The Border is one of my favorite cds. I listen to this cd at least once a week.

My favorite songs:

Already Gone~ A fun song right from the start. I wish they would include this in every setlist. One of my all time favorite songs.

You Never Cry Like A Lover~ I like this song. I usually repeat this two or three times when I'm listening to the cd. The melody and lyrics are incredible. I love how Glenn uses his voice, throughout the whole song. And how it plays off Don's voice. Unless I'm driving I listen to this one with my eyes closed.

Midnight Flyer~ This is about the only Eagles song I skip over. A little too "country-fried" for me.

My Man~ another one of my all time favorites. Soothing southern rock vibe. Same vibe I get when I hear Skynrd's Curtis Low or Tesla's Song and Emotion.

One more then I have to go, and will finish later.

On The Border~ Don brings out the funk for this one. Makes me want to put some shades on and sit on the porch. Don't ask me why it just does. A little comical too. I love the change in tempo about half way into the song.

In You Never Cry Like A Lover, where do you hear Glenn? The predominant harmony voices that I hear are Bernie and Randy in this song. I can barely hear Glenn in it at all. I'm thinking of the 'try a little harder' and 'I was hopin' you were the one' parts. Glenn may be there, but he is not prominent. The 'cry like a lover' harmony part near the end again to me sounds like Randy, not Glenn.

MF, I think it is Bernie playing lead on this song. If the whole song had been at this tempo it may have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    In You Never Cry Like A Lover, where do you hear Glenn? The predominant harmony voices that I hear are Bernie and Randy in this song. I can barely hear Glenn in it at all. I'm thinking of the 'try a little harder' and 'I was hopin' you were the one' parts. Glenn may be there, but he is not prominent. The 'cry like a lover' harmony part near the end again to me sounds like Randy, not Glenn.
    Either way I like the song.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Me too, FFL. I find the song very enjoyable, even if it's not one of my favorites. I know some of you think the lyrics are sexist, but I don't really see it that way. For me, the lyrics just reflect unfulfilled love for both the man and the woman. I don't believe the band ever played this live, did they?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well it's not a song that I tend to listen to a lot, although I DO like it, but I must say that Don's vocals on it are quite gorgeous

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I know some of you think the lyrics are sexist, but I don't really see it that way. For me, the lyrics just reflect unfulfilled love for both the man and the woman. I don't believe the band ever played this live, did they?
    Really? Sexist huh? I don't believe I had ever heard that before. I agree with you, I always just figured it was a man telling the woman that she had "lost that lovin' feelin'". Hmm- Interesting.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

can't comment as of when the Border came out ( was only 3 at the time ) think it is underrated in many peoples eyes

Cheers Gary