Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indianapolis 3-22-09

Default Indianapolis 3-22-09

I don't have time to write a full review now - I'm exhausted! - but I thought I'd stick in a few factoids to hold folks over until PM and/or I write a longer review:

- They didn't do Busy Being Fabulous
    - Don and Glenn both sounded great; it appears they've recovered :: knock on wood ::
    - Joe was on fire, and in good spirits
    - Tim also seemed upbeat and got great crowd response
    - During The Long Run, Joe held up a picture of a camel to Don when Don came over to do the "couldn't hold a candle to you" bit. Don cracked up.
    - Glenn sang two bars of My Girl (yay!!)
    - The encore was a combo - they only did one, but they did Take It Easy/Rocky Mountain Way/Desperado rather than just Take It Easy/Desperado. It looks like All She Wants To Do Is Dance is gone for good!

Lots more happened that I'll talk about later. What a great show!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Indianapolis 3-22-09

This sounds already really good, I am curious on the detailed Review.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

This morning I found this article:

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/mus...045380/content

Last edited by Koala; 07-08-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Aah Soda---What a tease you are! Can't wait to hear the rest. Sounds as if they have mixed things up a bit!! No BBF but adding RMW--I think that's a pretty good trade off but sorry to hear that ASWTDID seems to be caput.

Koala--thanks for the review you posted. For awhile there I thought it was for a Don Henley solo concert. Had nice things to say about him. Something positive about Tim at the end also---nice to see for a change.

Nancy-- Cathy--are you awake yet? Anxiously awaiting!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Something positive about Tim at the end also---nice to see for a change.
    Yes, a media review from a grown-up. Kind of refreshing...

Thanks for the short review, Nancy--I'm looking forward to hearing all about it in detail! I am surprised they dropped BBF--wonder why? But I'm glad to see the return of RMW.

Thanks for checking in, Nance. I can't wait to read the full review! Glad to hear that Don & Glenn seem to have recovered. I'm interested to know why BBF has been dropped too.

Thanks for the review, Koala. I loved the description of Don doing his soul man thing during LR. He "moved freely and passionately" - mmm!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by tbsfan View Post
    Yes, a media review from a grown-up. Kind of refreshing...
    Hopefully others will follow their lead. There is no shortage of mediocre Timothy reviews

I can't wait to hear their reviews! I know they had a blast

Hi everybody! How ya doin'?
    Yesterday proved to be everything I had anticipated and more!

Hubby and I arrived in Indianapolis several hours earlier than our arranged time to meet Soda. We did a little shopping at the Circle Centre Mall, walked around the city a bit, and sat on the steps at Monument Circle for awhile just enjoying the sights and the beautiful 70 degrees and sunshine.

We met Soda at the Hard Rock Cafe, and after touring the place to see if there was any Eagles' memorabilia, (there wasn't ) we were seated in the 'Jackson Five Room' . Oh well, at least it was quiet back there and we had a very pleasant dinner and conversation.

We were all excited about the concert and walked over to the venue just as they were opening the doors. We were puzzled to see that they were making everyone pull their pantlegs up to reveal their shoes, but not checking bags . I didn't see anybody get kicked out for not wearing cute shoes, so I guess it was okay.

We immediately went down to find our seats and that was when we really got pumped. Hubby and I were in the second row right in front of Glenn's mic, and Soda was seven seats down in front of Joe's. Okay, I briefly thought about asking Soda if she wanted to switch seats, but thought I'd better stay with Hubby! . Besides, our seats really were great. For one thing, the distance between the stage and the first row was very minimal, so we were right there - I mean RIGHT THERE!!! We talked with our concert 'neighbors' for a while, and then it happened - a man with a laminated Eagles badge around his neck walked in front of the seats stopping occasionally to announce the 'Eagles standing/sitting policy'. He was very polite - more imploring than dictating, but gave us the rules nonetheless. We were to basically look around during slower songs, and if the majority of people were seated we were to stay seated. But if it was a faster song and the majority of people were on their feet, it was okay for us to stand. I guess the point was that since we were in the front, we could potenetially ruin the view of the people behind us, which could cause a ripple effect.

It's almost showtime. Hold on to your seats for part two!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I know I'll forget stuff and hopefully PM can help me out with this, but here goes!

I had second row and I thought aisle, but turns out they had filled in the aisles to seat more people. I was RIGHT in front of Joe's microphone and surrounded by hardcore Joe fans who were hootin' and hollerin' for him all night. Not a bad place to be!

Before the show, a guy wearing a backstage pass came out and announced that he had a request "direct from Don and Glenn" that we all sit down during the slow ballads. He said that during the fast songs we were welcome to dance our hearts out, but they didn't want us standing during the slow songs, thus forcing everyone else to stand, and they wanted to avoid that. He was very nice and phrased it in a friendly way, but I still rolled my eyes. I've already made my feelings about this known elsewhere, so I won't get into it here.

Regardless, I was totally jazzed. I hadn't been this close since London 2006, when I had first row. PM and her husband were just a few seats down, closer to the center. My heart was beating a mile a minute and I couldn't wipe the huge grin off of my face. This was gonna be awesome!!!

A lot of this is going to be repetitive of other reviews - after all, they're doing the same stuff - but I'm gonna put it all down anyway.

They came out to roars to perform How Long, but before the song was even half over the crowd sat down. This was hardly a "slow ballad" but I obeyed the "do what the majority does" rule and sat down accordingly. The guys sounded great to me; I couldn't detect any problems. Looks like they're over their colds or whatever (knock on wood). I began to engage in some animated chair dancing.

Glenn announced after the song that we were going to hear some new songs from Joe and Tim, with no mention of Don... and I knew we weren't getting Busy Being Fabulous. Since Don's voice sounded fine to me, I wonder if that song has been dropped! Maybe it'll be like No More Cloudy Days was for Farewell 1 - now you see it, now you don't - and it'll be back.

Tim sounded lovely on I Don't Want to Hear Any More, and two ladies beside and behind me, who were obviously big Tim fans, gave him a standing ovation for it.

Guilty of the Crime rocked as well. Joe seemed to be in great spirits throughout the night, which I'm sure was not hurt by the very vocal Joe lovers at his feet. He got a standing ovation from them, and a lot of others, after the song. It appeared that my section at least would be very pop-goes-the-weasel - up and down, up and down! Better than always seated, though.

When Hotel California got started, the crowd got to their feet and I got to do some real dancing, despite the fact that we were packed in there so tight I was hard-pressed not to hit anyone accidentally. It was also horribly hot. I was red as a beet and the poor guys next to me - who were very nice and bought me a drink - were sweating profusely. I turn red easily and could feel my face heating up - and it wasn't just from the excitement of the show! But all discomfort was forgotten as the guys got to rockin', especially since I had a primo view of Joe's guitar work. Awesome!

As Glenn stepped up to the microphone for Peaceful Easy Feeling, I sighed happily. Such a romantic song, and he sings it so well! He got a standing ovation after that as well. I adore that song!

He went over to the keyboard for I Can't Tell You Why and Tim came up to do his stuff. Beautifully done, with the whole audience singing along, it seemed. Afterwards, I heard people comment on how it's incredible that his range is so great even after all these years.

My chair-dancing stepped up a notch as Witchy Woman got going with its tom-tom beat. Flawless harmonies of course! While I've often thought that this song is the most expendable of the set, I still enjoyed it.

Glenn intro'ed Lyin' Eyes with his usual transition from "That was from our Satanic country-rock period... now we go ahead a few years. It's 1975 and Don and I are living together. We've had a couple hits and have a couple dollars in our pockets, and we go down to a restaurant called Dan Tana's every night. The most beautiful women in Hollywood are there... none of whom are available to us. [crowd laughs] We'd see a certain story unfold every night and we decided to write a song about it. It's a long song, but we wrote it pretty fast... we did everything fast in those days. [crowd laughs again] We wrote it in two shows, and here it is... sing along if you like." [I'm thinking two shows? Did they write it after them or something? Probably just a slip up] "I'm dedicating it - as I do every night - to my ex-wife, Plaintiff." [crowd laughs again - just as they do every night]. They launched into Lyin' Eyes and I have to admit, Glenn didn't seem as into it as he did the other songs that night. Perhaps its length tires him.

Boys of Summer brought the energy level up again. I was on my feet, as was most of the crowd. Such an awesome song, and Don did it up right! I must say that Don's new longer hairstyle makes him look younger, I think.

We stayed on our feet for In the City, and the Joe fans near me went nuts. I did too, 'cause they were really rockin' it! That song plays so well live! Joe hit all the notes, although he stepped back from the mic a bit as a safety precaution (just like Stevie Nicks does).

When Don moved out front for The Long Run, he and the band seemed to be having a lot of fun with it. He went over to Joe for the schtick with the "couldn't hold a candle to you" only to be confronted with Joe holding up a picture of a camel in the desert [I'm thinking the idea was that he was "holding a camel" to Don]. Don cracked up, shaking his head, and went back to the front to finish the song. Joe pulled it out again as they walked offstage after the first half. He apparently was very proud of it. lol

After intermission, they came out in the shadows for No More Walks in the Wood. They moved in very quietly and launched immediately into the sedate song; as such, no one even stood to welcome them back in. However, I guess they like it that way because then they don't have to worry about people standing too long during a slow song.... as we know, they find such behavior very distressing. The song doesn't do much for me on the album, but I loved it live.

I knew one of my favorites Waiting in the Weeds was next. Their voices blended beautifully on it. I just love that "darling of the chic" part where Don takes it up a notch. Terrific!

Glenn gave his usual transition: "From the woods to the weeds... we call that our botanical portion of the set. Now we're going into the meteorological. This track follows the last track on our new album, Long Road Out of Eden..." (etc). Once again I was absolutely enchanted by the way in which he sang No More Cloudy Days. His voice is so emotive. I love it!

Tim came back out and said "It's my turn to say hello to you, Indianapolis!" He gave a shout-out to the folks in the back and on the sides, to great cheers, and then thanked us for coming out on a school night. Poor guy thought it was Monday, I guess! No "Tempted" or anything like that. He went into Love Will Keep Us Alive and we all sang along. It gets a lot of hate on fan boards but everyone around me was loving it.

I leaned forward in my chair eagerly in anticipation for the next song, my favorite, Take It to the Limit. I hoped to death folks would stand for it but it was not to be, so I chair-danced in earnest, lol. Hopefully I didn't make too much of a spectacle of myself. Such a great song. We gave them a standing ovation for it.

As they prepared for Long Road Out of Eden, the lady next to me said she felt bad about not knowing any of the new songs. I found myself sounding like a commercial as I said, "You should buy it. It's available exclusively at Walmart or through their website, eaglesband.com." lol I then warned her "This next song is the title track. It's really long - like 10 minutes - but it's good." She said "oh" and looked surprised, and I realized telling her the length probably was not a good idea. "Don't worry, you won't even notice how long it is! The screens are really cool..." then the song started and off we went. I think she did indeed enjoy it. How I love Joe's guitarwork on this song!

I have such a bad memory that I often forget the set list, so when they went into Somebody, I responded as if I'd never seen a show before - "Oh! Somebody!" lol While the audience stayed seated, they seemed to enjoy it. I noticed Glenn had untucked his shirt. Nice! Strangely, Tim had not, nor did he do so until the encore! Again, Joe's guitar was slammin'.

Joe got the audience to their feet with Walk Away. I got to dancin' once more! So fun! He seemed to kind of flub a line but it was hard to tell, because I was getting so carried away with the music that I wasn't sure if I heard right. lol

My section stayed on our feet for the smokin' hot One of These Nights. This one is so sexy live. It was getting everybody all worked up!

During the band intros, each of the guys got a comparable response. Tim's ovation was so loud and long he looked touched. He introduced Glenn as something like "the master of ceremonies... our fearless leader... man of a thousand jokes..." while Glenn made faces and hammed it up. Then, to my delight, he came to the mic and did two lines of My Girl before signalling "cut" to the band. Finally, I got to hear it! I was so happy that I jumped up and down, squealing with delight. Joe, who was right in front of me, just shook his head at me and laughed. I guess I came off as a bit over-the-top. lol Glenn introduced Don as the "best singer-songwriter I've ever worked with" and Joe as a "legend in his own mind." Yeah, we've heard it before, but I still laughed.

Joe did his routine apology to the kids for their parents playing Life's Been Good, then added a line I hadn't heard before: "That's why you're 'different.'" LOL! No changed lyrics for this show, but everyone had fun with it.

When Don came out for Dirty Laundry, I suddenly had a flashback to Chicago 2005, the first time I'd seen a Don show (albeit in tandem with Sevie Nicks) and I remembered how this song had totally gotten the crowd going there, more so than any of his others. Likewise, we were all rockin' out during it this time, although there was a lot less room for me to move in Indy than there had been in Chicago, almost four years ago now. That show precipitated my entry into the Eagles fandom - and look at me now! My, how time flies! Anyway, back to the song. I love how the guys share various solos during this song. They were all getting into it.

Glenn and Joe did their cute guitar duel next. Love it! Then into the song. There's just something about Funk 49 that makes it one of the most fun songs to dance to all night. It's just got that eponymous funky groove, I guess! The Joe fans around me were practically frothing at the mouth by this point, and I was right with 'em.

As they did their slow jam into Heartache Tonight, everyone sat down again. I decided to do so as well, even knowing they'd be back on their feet in a minute. Sure enough, as those horns came in... BANG! Everybody's up! Glenn sounded great on this. Along with Take It to the Limit, I think it was his most spirited vocal of the night. During this song, I had another flashback... this time to Glenn solo in Niagara Falls 2007. Oh, what a night that was!

Then, into Life in the Fast Lane. I remembered the recent controversy over the lyrics and felt a little guilty listening to them on a Sunday night, but I got over it, lol. Joe's guitar really stood out. As he and Glenn mouthed the words along with Don, I wondered if they remembered performing it themselves back during the Party of Two tour in 1993!

As they went off for the encore, I figured we'd just get one as everyone else has on this leg. Then, I saw them bring out Joe's talk-box thingy. I got all excited... were they really going to do two encores??? YES!!!!! (Aside: something I haven't mentioned before - some jerk behind me kept hollering "ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH" during the show, which irritated me no end. Nevermind that yelling out songs is rude, at least get the title right!! I thought "Maybe now he'll figure out the correct title"). I held up my cell phone and waved it happily in lieu of a lighter.

When they came back, however, the guys went into Take It Easy! My heart fell - I figured they'd changed their mind at the last minute, or some roadie got confused. Oh well, I shrugged it off and enjoyed the song that never fails to lift my spirits.

Afterwards, Glenn went over to Joe and I realized they weren't in "position" for Desperado, and then I figured it out - they were changing up the encore. Sure enough, the song started and it was Rocky Mountain Way. I was delighted to get the "bonus" but something told me that the reason for this structural change was probably the omission of All She Wants To Do Is Dance. Sure enough, that song did not make an appearance. With the absence of both that and Busy Being Fabulous, Don's role in the shows is getting a bit diminished! Nevertheless, Rocky Mountain Way was lots of fun. I'm embarrassed to admit that I never before realized that Joe actually at one point wears two guitars during this song. Having a vantage point right in front of him sure was an experience! He's got it goin' on!

As they gathered at the end for Desperado, to my astonishment, the crowd SAT. Who sits during an encore???? But I guess they took the "slow song = sit" rule to heart. Reluctantly, I joined them. It's the first time I've ever sat for Desperado, but oh well. Don sounded so amazing people near me were commenting on it. You know, when he takes that mic off the stand halfway through the song, it really gives the song additional momentum. What a great idea that move is.

Afterwards, they said their goodbyes... and to my pleasant surprise, Don, Joe, and Tim took time to stop at every segment of the stage for a moment to say goodbye to the crowd. Glenn appeared to be in more of a hurry, although he did stop and wave at either end of the stage. He just didn't work his way down like the rest of the guys.

Overall, fabulous show. Like Maleah, I'm thinking I may never see these guys again and that's quite sobering.... I don't have the time or money to follow them around the country (I wish!) Like a couple times earlier in the night, my Eagles adventures kind of flashed before my eyes. Could they be over? Well, even if they are, we gotta hold on to the good.... and there's been plenty of good. I'm glad they came to Indy, and I'm glad I got to have this wonderful experience, even if it is to be the last.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten