Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Best of Timothy B. Schmit Song Survivor

Border Desperado

Default Re: Best of Timothy B. Schmit Song Survivor

I cast my vote for In Roxy's Eyes. Whenever I pop in TMTT, this is the only song I have the urge to skip over. It is a nice song but not my taste.

I, too, am really surprised so many people are voting So Much In Love. It isn't on my top 14, but I always enjoy listening to it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    After much deliberation on my part (it was rough listening over and over and over to these songs ) I have decided to cast my first vote for...

In Roxy's Eyes

His voice is absolutely beautiful in it but it just doesn't do much for me.

Looks as if most are ganging up on So Much In Love this round--which I must admit, kinda surprises me. Any reasons anyone?

Is anyone else thinking, life is stressful enough, why am I adding this game to it? I really need to lighten up during these games.

Well, I used the word 'twee'. It's a bit 'syrupy' and sentimental and the lyrics are somewhat corny. It is well arranged, though.

Now isn't it funny. When I listened to these songs yesterday In Roxy's Eyes was right up near the top of the ones I liked.

OK, I see So Much in Love might be going down, so let me say a few words for it!

While I see how the song itself can be seen as simplistic and cheesy (as older songs often are), the earnestness of Tim's vocal really sells it for me.

As far as In Roxy's Eyes - that's actually one of my favorites! I think it's the beauty of the way he holds out "Eyes" and the note kind of cascades. Lovely.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I cast my vote for In Roxy's Eyes.... I just don't find it especially appealing (sorry Soda )

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I gotta go with tf here... and vote Tell Me What You Dream Out of all of em, this one strikes me the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well, I used the word 'twee'. It's a bit 'syrupy' and sentimental and the lyrics are somewhat corny. It is well arranged, though.

Now isn't it funny. When I listened to these songs yesterday In Roxy's Eyes was right up near the top of the ones I liked.
    FP, as soon as I saw your usage of the word 'twee' I had to smile. Paul McCartney uses it in his song English Tea from his album Chaos and Creation in the Backyard. You probably have it. I never knew what the word meant but I suppose now I can figure it out when used in context. That's the only other place I've seen or heard the word.

I am going to withhold my vote until tomorrow. These songs are all new to me so I really want to listen to them a few times before I decide. I will say that after a quick listen to them Roxy's Eyes is near the top of my list, too. It seems as if the Tim fans don't like it as well as the rest of us! (We're all Tim fans- you know what I mean!)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

I have a lot of McCartney's albums but Chaos & Creation isn't one of them.

When I first met my very English husband he used the word 'twee' all the time to refer to something he thought was over sweet or perhaps contrived and it became something of a private joke. Now I mean no disrespect to the Tim fans for describing So Much In Love as 'twee' but I'm afraid that seemed to me the most appropriate word.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I will say that after a quick listen to them Roxy's Eyes is near the top of my list, too. It seems as if the Tim fans don't like it as well as the rest of us! (We're all Tim fans- you know what I mean!)
    That is kinda strange isn't it? I wonder why? Hmmm--something to ponder a bit!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm going to go ahead and vote earlier than I usually do. I am also one that likes In Roxy's Eyes. I think it is really pretty and has a very nice melody, so I'm going to try to save it. So Much In Love is also near the bottom of my list so I'll join with others ...

I cast my vote for So Much In Love.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I was thinking the other day that one of Timothy's signature moves is to defy your expectations when it comes to phrasing, melody, and musical structure in his solo work. When I say "Phrasing" I don't mean word choice, I mean where he pauses and breathes - things like that. You expect him to stop at a certain note, or a musical phrase to end, and he just keeps going and carries it over. In Roxy's Eyes is a song where he does that and it works well, IMHO. You don't expect that cascade after "Eyes" and it's a pleasant surprise. Another song where he does this very noticeably, but isn't on this list, is Voices.

I think his tendency to make unexpected choices might be a part of why he didn't do well in the mainstream; a lot of time, people don't like their melodies to be too different!

Of course, I'm just speaking from an amateur viewpoint - perhaps people who know a bit more about music can correct me!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten