Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Default Celebration of "Desperado"

Since our On the Border appreciation thread was such a hit, I figured we'd do one for Desperado now, to commemorate its release on April 17, 1973! Of course, to go along with this, we'll have the Desperado Style as the board default for the next week.

I know I'm in the minority, but I find Desperado to be their most consistently good album. I love every song on it. I love the way it tells a story. The album, as a whole, is more cohesive thematically then even Hotel California. They took a tired metaphor - "rockers as outlaws" - and breathed new life into it. While it suffered from the sophomore curse at the time of its release, it's held up well.

In the Desperado spirit, have some fun watching the Eagles play cowboy in the music video shown at the end of Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnF6Ga9dNCs[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Desperado Appreciation Thread

Great Idea Nancy!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Desperado Anniversary Appreciation Thread

Great style for the board Soda! I was hit by it as soon as I logged in! Its fantastic. I must say, Desperado was the first 'proper' Eagles album that I bought (ie discounting the Greatest Hits compilations) and it has a lovely fresh sound to it!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Well that explains why the Desperado background popped up as soon as I brought up the Border this morning! I thought I was a wee bit crazy! (well probably am but...)

Thanks for posting the above video--can never see that to much!! Yum!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Nancy, the board looks wonderful!! Desperado is my favorite Eagles album-it's the one my hubby reviewed for our college newspaper, way back in 1973. I sure wish I still had a copy of that review-I'm sure it was a good one!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Actually, I gotta agree with you Nancy, Desperado is one of my favorite albums as well (despite the notable absence of ONE particular Eagle)
    I'm learning the songs off the album on the guitar right now as well as reading up on the story behind the concept. I want to be able to play and sing the songs and tell the story around the camp fire this summer.

Great work on the desperado theme and the Video!!! As always, you've outdone yourself,Nancy! Bravo!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Funny. The first thing I did when I came here today was check the 'today in Eagles history' at the bottom of the page. I was still on the OTB style, so I changed it myself to the Desperado style in honor!

I wonder why mine wasn't automatically changed?

Anyways, methinks Glenn is at some of his hottest in this era!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I love the DESPERADO album I like really every song from it.
    Thanks for posting the video, I see it just to 3 times in succession!
    As the Desperado background popped up, I thought whats this, than I read that today is the released Day from this album everything was clear!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Funny. The first thing I did when I came here today was check the 'today in Eagles history' at the bottom of the page. I was still on the OTB style, so I changed it myself to the Desperado style in honor!

I wonder why mine wasn't automatically changed?
    I didn't override user preferences, so if you had a special theme picked out, it didn't get changed. Just the default.

Love reading you guys' thoughts!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I was actually using 'default' for a change and I guessed that it must be Desperado anniversary time. This is such a good idea. It would be good if we could also do this for any solo albums where we know the release date (obviously without changing the board style).

Regarding the Desperado album it does have an almost Shakespearean feel to it, something which endeared me to it immediately. It perhaps is more successful at the beginning when the rock star/outlaw is starting his career and still feels young and exuberant.

I know that the title track is a standard but I've heard it so often that it hasn't aged as well as it should have. I know it sums up the album's themes perfectly, but really so does Certain Kind Of Fool, a song which is totally underrated and right up there with Meisner's best work. The same goes for Bitter Creek, which is great until it rather tapers off with all the 'doo doo' stuff.

I suppose for me I have to go for the 'I am an outlaw' stuff which should surprise nobody. Outlaw Man and Out Of Control are both superb rockers. Perhaps Out Of Control tries a bit too hard but it is hard to argue with it (or the narrator.... I believe there is a slight autographical feel to it). As for Tequila Sunrise, there is not much left to say about it. The song is a quiet masterpiece.

I have not mentioned Saturday Night, which I have to be in the right mood to appreciate fully. I know why its there but I'm not that fond of it. The same goes for Twenty-One which is dispensable. That leaves Doolin-Dalton and its Reprise, both superb songs. I think I could have done a lot better explaining why the album works.