Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "Desperado"

I found an interesting comment on a blog:

1. Jon Hartmann
      Comment by Jon Hartmann | 2007/05/15 at 18:59:52
      Bob: I was the manager of Eagles (there is no "The" in their name) for their first two albums. I am the cowboy in black on the Desperado cover. Your tribute to this great album is richly deserved. However, there is one error in your piece: the band and I did everything possible to break the record. We knew it was great. ATLANTIC RECORDS (Asylum Record’s distributor) did NOTHING. They made a calculated decision and wrote the record off from day one. They couldn’t understand the value of a concept album and even coming off two hit singles we got zero airplay. The Atlantic promotion guys also failed to deliver a hit on our third single "Peaceful Easy Feeling" one of the greatest songs of all time. This was corporate, not artistic failure. Pax. Hartmann

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.p.../15/oh-peyote/

Wow, I'd never heard that before. Interesting. Thanks for finding that!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I found an interesting comment on a blog:

Quote:
    1. Jon Hartmann
      Comment by Jon Hartmann | 2007/05/15 at 18:59:52
      Bob: I was the manager of Eagles (there is no "The" in their name) for their first two albums. I am the cowboy in black on the Desperado cover. Your tribute to this great album is richly deserved. However, there is one error in your piece: the band and I did everything possible to break the record. We knew it was great. ATLANTIC RECORDS (Asylum Record’s distributor) did NOTHING. They made a calculated decision and wrote the record off from day one. They couldn’t understand the value of a concept album and even coming off two hit singles we got zero airplay. The Atlantic promotion guys also failed to deliver a hit on our third single "Peaceful Easy Feeling" one of the greatest songs of all time. This was corporate, not artistic failure. Pax. Hartmann
    Great find UTW! Thanks for sharing! How frustrating for an artist not to get support/promotion from their record distributor.

Btw I've never heard of this guy. I always thought that pre-Azoff, they were managed by Eliot Roberts from Lookout Management. Maybe he worked under Roberts.

Stuck on the Border

John Hartmann worked for Geffen-Roberts - I believe he was their first employee. He appears to have been the day-to-day manager for the Eagles for the first few years . He left Geffen-Roberts and set up his own management company, taking "America" (who were not on Asylum) with him. According to Barney Hoskyns, in his Hotel California book, Hartmann tried to persuade the Eagles to go with him but Geffen threatened to "bury the band" if they did. Then Azoff arrived.

I love Desperado but when they play it in concert it is kind of a let down because we all know that is their closing song Makes me sad.

Border Troubadour

Love Desperado but my oh my is it a depressing song to close on. Should without doubt be Take It Easy to close IMO.

I'm delighted that they're including so much of this album on the tour. As I've said before and in this thread, I adore it.

I do love hearing Sweet Timothy B on the harmonica

Desperado was released 41 years ago today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DESPERADO!