Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Perhaps you mean the guitar solo that is played backwards?
    Is that what it is? How do you play a guitar solo backwards? And why would you want to.

Maybe this wasn't the best album for me to start with. See, I didn't know it was the beginning of their experimental phase. I probably should have started with their very first album or one that has my more familiar songs on it, like Please Please Me or Love Me Do.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Is that what it is? How do you play a guitar solo backwards? And why would you want to.

Maybe this wasn't the best album for me to start with. See, I didn't know it was the beginning of their experimental phase. I probably should have started with their very first album or one that has my more familiar songs on it, like Please Please Me or Love Me Do.
    George played a solo and the recording was played backwards. If you play the song backwards, you can hear what George actually played (I haven't done this!).

It's a sound thing, I believe. When you record something on the guitar and then play the recording backwards, it may produce a sound that the musicians might like to hear. However, I think it was more like "hey, let's try this" in the case of I'm Only Sleeping.

There are two different ways to do this. You can either play "just something", without thinking that much, then turn it backwards and it's there. Whatever the melody is going to be like backwards is what you'll get.
    OR if you have a certain melody in mind, but you want that backwards sound, here's what you do: 1) Record the part, 2) Listen to it backwards and learn how to play it that way, 3) Record the part, playing the melody backwards, 4) THEN turn the tape (or digitally) backwards and you have the original melody you had in mind, but with a strange sound. I did this once with the words "...I dance away" (whatever it means) in a song of mine. I learned to sing the melody and the lyric backwards, and then recorded it that way - singing it backwards slowly. THEN I turned the recording backwards, and it was like a voice from a grave saying, "I DUAAANCE AWYAAAAYYYYY". It was hilarious.

Incidentally, Revolver is not a favourite of mine. I appreciate the experimentation during the recording process, but the actual songs I don't care that much for - except for Here, There And Everywhere, Eleanor Rigby and a few others.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

chaim, thanks for the explanation. I think I'm more in to their earlier albums than this experimental phase. Maybe over time it will grow on me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I enjoy the experimental stuff but I too feel it's quite a lot to take in, I love their earlier stuff too

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    chaim, thanks for the explanation. I think I'm more in to their earlier albums than this experimental phase. Maybe over time it will grow on me.
    They did get "back to basics" for one album later on. Check out this tune. Lennon hated it, like he hated all his songs that had nonsense lyrics. But I like the melody and the atmosphere in this song. They are playing live as a band with Billy Preston - I believe - on keyboards.
    This is one of my favorites.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjuswQVf86s[/ame]

Incidentally, Revolver is not a favourite of mine. I appreciate the experimentation during the recording process, but the actual songs I don't care that much for - except for Here, There And Everywhere, Eleanor Rigby and a few others.
    Chaim, so what's your favorite Beatles album? Is it possible to point the one and only at all? I don't even try to do that, since I have a problem with choosing even my favorite songs. Just like you, I have my best songs in each album (and EP and a single). The most I can do is just to state that so called "late phase" of The Beatles in my favorite FOR NOW. See, such gems as A Day In The Life, "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love" or "Tomorrow Never Knows", to name a few. But not that long time ago, shortly after I visited Liverpool, I was all in the late 50s and early 60, endlessly humming "Inspite Of All the Danger" to myself

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

They did get "back to basics" for one album later on. Check out this tune. Lennon hated it, like he hated all his songs that had nonsense lyrics. But I like the melody and the atmosphere in this song. They are playing live as a band with Billy Preston - I believe - on keyboards.
    This is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjuswQVf86s
    Oh, I love that tune, too! By the way, Lennon hated his voice, always thought it's not good enough. Can you believe that?
    On "Let It Be" album there is also another early song of theirs, "One after 909". Nice reference to their beginings. Maybe Brooke will like that, too.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by irga View Post
    Chaim, so what's your favorite Beatles album? Is it possible to point the one and only at all? I don't even try to do that, since I have a problem with choosing even my favorite songs. Just like you, I have my best songs in each album (and EP and a single). The most I can do is just to state that so called "late phase" of The Beatles in my favorite FOR NOW. See, such gems as A Day In The Life, "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love" or "Tomorrow Never Knows", to name a few. But not that long time ago, shortly after I visited Liverpool, I was all in the late 50s and early 60, endlessly humming "Inspite Of All the Danger" to myself
    Yes, it's hard to name a favorite album, but if I had to, it would be either The Beatles (aka The White Album) or Let It Be. Help is a great album too. I love ALMOST every song to death on that album.
    But Revolver as an album feels a bit cold to me somehow. Maybe there's too much experimentation in the production, trying to bury the actual songs, I don't know.

Incidentally, an acquaintance of mine once pointed out, when I played Dig A Pony to him, that the chorus is like the chorus in Joe Cocker's version of With A Little Help From My Friends. And he was right! I'd never noticed that. I guess John liked the chorus in that version and subconsciously borrowed it for Dig A Pony.

Stuck on the Border

I cannot agree that the experimentation in Revolver buries the songs. This is far more true for the White Album.

Revolver is my favourite Beatles album not because of the experimentation, though I enjoy hearing it, but for the quality of the songs which for me is unsurpassed. My favourite Beatles era is mid period & that is where I put Revolver.

As promised I will now write a quick track by track review. I am not trying to convert or convince anybody. I won't rate the songs either because the majority of them are five stars.

Taxman - George's swipe at the British government's ridiculously high tax rates. Those who think of George as a gentle mystic need to hear this. Great guitar solo by McCartney (NB: I won't be writing much about the music because I am not qualified to do so).

Eleanor Rigby - work of art; the best popular song ever written about loneliness & death is up there with T.S. Eliot. Given urgency by the strings & poignancy by the vocals.

I'm Only Sleeping - John is all world weary in a waltz tempo. This may be more revealing of how he felt than more famous songs like Strawberry Fields Forever.

Love You To - a sleeper. George's Indian tunes take time to assimilate but when they do, they are worth the effort.

Here, There & Everywhere - one of the finest love songs of all time .

Yellow Submarine - essential; greatest kids song of all time (again). The backing vocals & sound effects are straight out of George Martin's work with the Goons.

She Said, She Said - John gets paranoid. Great guitar work. It sweeps you up; I can't describe it.

Good Day Sunshine - classic Beatles feel good song; wonderful piano.

And Your Bird Can Sing - uplifiting guitar anthem. One of my absolute favourites but hard to say why.

For No One - like Eleanor Rigby this is a dissection of a situation, in this case the end of a relationship, which is like a novel. She no longer needs you. That's the end of it.

Doctor Robert - he's a man you must believe! He also sells pills to the stars in 60s London! Proof that they didn't really buy all the hippie dream stuff & could see through charlatans (see also Sexy Sadie on the White Album). Great tune.

I Want To Tell You - George's turn to lift us up in an exhilarating love song which as usual has wonderful harmonies & the 'I've got time' Indian style mantra at the end.

Got To Get You Into My Life - Paul does Motown/R&B. It is supposedly about the joys of discovering LSD but you don't have to listen to it that way. It just sounds good.

Tomorrow Never Knows - the summit of psychedelic music which features possibly Ringo's finest drumming performance.

That was inadequate. I should have gone into more detail, quoted more lyrics... I don't know.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by irga View Post
    Oh, I love that tune, too! By the way, Lennon hated his voice, always thought it's not good enough. Can you believe that?
    On "Let It Be" album there is also another early song of theirs, "One after 909". Nice reference to their beginings. Maybe Brooke will like that, too.
    One After 909 is a lot of fun. About two chords, but a nice melody and a funny lyric. I love how Paul and John sing that long "Weeeeeellllll!!" before they start each verse. It's so funny.

By "experimentation" on Revolver I meant sounds, not instrumentation. Some of it is a bit cold sounding somehow IMO - like they were experimenting with EQ, compression and other technical stuff. I could be wrong though. I've also noticed that the cover of an album affects how I feel about the music. I find the Revolver cover a bit messy, so maybe that also subconsciously affects the way I feel about the musical content.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-21-2014 at 06:16 AM.