Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Eagles Related Sights to See in Southern California

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Related Sights to See

Yep - I agree, especially since it's right in Laurel Canyon anyway.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Default Eagles landmarks

Hi everyone. So I plan on visiting Southern California in a few months and thought that the trip wouldn't be complete without visiting some Eagles landmarks. So far, I have the Beverly Hills Hotel and Troubadour in mind. Are there any others that I'm forgetting?

During my latest trip to Los Angeles, not only did I revisit some sites I'd already seen, I also added a couple new ones that were mentioned earlier in the thread to my "been there" list.

Laurel Canyon Country Store (where Glenn saw David Crosby sitting on the steps when he first arrived in Los Angeles in the sixties). I made it a point to walk up and down those stairs. It's located at 2108 Laurel Canyon Blvd if anyone else wants to visit. It's your typical small time grocery store; I bought a toothbrush (which I call my Laurel Canyon toothbrush lol) and some juice. What made them stand out to me is that they fix some really good sandwiches at the counter. HB, PLS, and Dreamer were with me. We brought back a sandwich for HH and VA. Everyone seemed pleased with their food. I recommend it!

The Lido Apartments (the lobby of which is where they shot the interior gatefold Hotel California photo and back). The address for this one is 6500 Yucca Street. It's got bars on the windows and across the door; you have to have a code to get in, but I was not deterred. I waited around a bit for someone else to enter, then I slid in behind them. Frankly, as you probably guessed from the security measures, it's not in the best neighborhood and is run down. While I was waiting, homeless men were trudging by. All my girls had gone back home by that point (it was Saturday night), but I had my cousin and her wife with me so I wasn't alone. Otherwise, I wouldn't have stood out there for more than a minute.

Still, I'm glad I did. It was cool to see the lobby. It's changed since 1976, unsurprisingly, but a few things are the same - like those small windows on the second floor balcony that peek down on the lobby. I stood in one, looked down, and imagined what it would be like to be at that photo shoot and be the girl so many people thought was Anton LeVay. The lobby had a portrait of the Hotel California album hanging on the wall and a small sign saying "Welcome to the Hotel California" - those seemed to be the only visible nods to its claim to fame.

I took a few photos: Lobby 1 | Lobby 2 | Looking down on lobby from second floor balcony | Hotel California portrait hanging in lobby

Two more Eagles-related sights checked off the list!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Eagles landmarks

Quote Originally Posted by FlatbedFord
    Hi everyone. So I plan on visiting Southern California in a few months and thought that the trip wouldn't be complete without visiting some Eagles landmarks. So far, I have the Beverly Hills Hotel and Troubadour in mind. Are there any others that I'm forgetting?
    What a coincidence! I was just posting in a thread about this in another forum! I'll move this post to that thread and you can read all about the Eagles landmarks we've found.

ETA: Done. You know, though, maybe this does belong in the Eagles forum rather than our off-topic forum. I'll have to think about it.

Nancy, that is so cool! I can really picture the HC photos when I look at your pics. I thought that I had read that that building no longer existed. I'm glad to see that it actually has survived.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, that is so cool that you got to go inside and take those pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us! I wish you would have stood in one of the balcony windows for a picture too! And it doesn't look bad at all inside.

I'd definitely add these places to my list too.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is very cool, Soda. I definitely would've like to have seen that. The lobby doesn't look as seedy as it did at the time of album photoshoot, that's for sure.

And FWIW - I definitely think this thread could go in the Eagles forum.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

thanks nancy for posting I love reading about your eagles adventures

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

With all these newly added Eagles related sights we need to plan a longer trip! I believe that will be my new project - doing an Eagles related sights itinerary.

Sounds like a great idea - let me know if you'd like any help!