Page 103 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1086

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

I can't imagine LZ without either of them. I can understand JP and the rest wanting to do something, just don't call it LZ cause it's not.

Like the Eagles must have Don and Glenn, LZ must have Plant and Page.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I realize that, but I still think JP, JPJ, and Jason Bonham should get together with a NEW singer and play Zeppelin tunes. They could call themselves the Fart Machine for all I care with a brand new name, I still would like to hear it... I'm not one for new music, personally....I want to hear the old stuff. I'll take a nostalgia act anyday. Just my personal preference. Nothing sounds like 70s rock.

Also, I just got a first pressing of Physical Graffiti in near mint condition down here in Florida for next to nothing! So excited. Call me stuck in the past, but I'll take old music and vinyl anyday, and everyone else can keep their new music, iTunes, and new music by classic rock artists.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Austin, I like the old stuff too. I rarely ever listen to today's artists. Something really has to catch me for me to even consider it. I do listen to a little country, but not on the radio. I like to watch the country videos on CMT or GAC for some reason, but they've been wearing on me as of late. It's all about gorgeous, skinny girls anymore. I guess I'm too old to appreciate them too much!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I realize that, but I still think JP, JPJ, and Jason Bonham should get together with a NEW singer and play Zeppelin tunes. They could call themselves the Fart Machine for all I care with a brand new name, I still would like to hear it... I'm not one for new music, personally....I want to hear the old stuff. I'll take a nostalgia act anyday. Just my personal preference. Nothing sounds like 70s rock.

Also, I just got a first pressing of Physical Graffiti in near mint condition down here in Florida for next to nothing! So excited. Call me stuck in the past, but I'll take old music and vinyl anyday, and everyone else can keep their new music, iTunes, and new music by classic rock artists.
    This has nothing to do with 'wanting to hear old stuff'. It has to do with trashing a legend.

I realise that you don't think singers or lyricists are important. However, Page or no Page, it was Plant's voice, lyrics & dare I say 'Presence' that set them apart & made them the third greatest band of all time. Having someone else sing those songs would amount to a tribute act. I shudder at the thought of it.

ETA: I worship Page & I think Jones is one of the most underrated musicians of all time. Bonham was/is my favourite drummer. So this is not about me thinking Plant is above the rest of them; I don't. But he's irreplaceable.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-11-2014 at 06:01 PM.

First of all, agree to disagree. I'm just sharing my beliefs. We are both fans of this band and I understand where you are coming from. However, my opinions differ.

Second, without Page they would have never reached the success they have. His guitar playing was as big as Plant's singing, if not moreso. His riffs completed those songs.

Third, it's not that I don't like singers/lyricists/frontmen or think they are useless. I do, however in most fan's eyes and in their own mind they are highly overrated. They think they are the band and everyone else is just backing them up. I don't like that one bit, and I have a huge problem with lead singers holding everyone else back to do their uncontrollable ego. I feel like we as fans have given them too much credit over the years, and it's gone to their heads.

Lead Singer's Disease is a real problem, funny acronym or not. There are some that would be perfectly fine with any band lineup as long as they didn't lose the voice and the singer and that irritates me. To me the other guys are just as important. I detest the term frontman. It should never be one guy out front and the rest supporting him. It should be all of them in a line doing equal contributions and getting equal recognition.

Personally, in the case of bands like Styx where the singer can't or doesn't want to do it any more, why hold the others back from playing those old songs just because you have one guy saying "piss off". What are they supposed to do, reinvent themselves with new music? No thanks.

And most lead singer's solo albums are nowhere near as good as the stuff they did with the other guys. Case in point, Steve Perry's "Oh Sherrie" is a horrible attempt at sounding like Journey by himself.

Where as you look at a guy like Joe Perry the guitarist of Aerosmith, his first Joe Perry Project record sounded NOTHING like Aerosmith, so he wasn't insulting the rest of the band. Steve Perry was, so I have no problem with them moving on. Is he a great singer? One of the best. Does Arnel Pineda sound like him? Of course not... But that shouldn't keep the rest of them from playing songs Perry sang on just because it's a different guy.

IMO, guitarists are every bit as hard to replace as a singer, which is why I'm so fed up with lead singers getting big heads and thinking they make or break a band or that they are controllers of the destiny of a band. It's a team effort, and for my money's worth, everyone should share equal control.

I realize most disagree and that it certainly doesn't operate like that in most bands, but it should in my opinion, otherwise we are left with a bunch of dramatic lead singers. Look at Axl Rose for a perfect example of someone who ruined a great band due to a big head. Or, more recently - Stephen Pearcy of RATT....they had the original lineup back short of Robbin Crosby, and he said no more.... He's also known for being a drama queen and an airhead.

Stuck on the Border

A lot of what you say here comes straight from this thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4564

I was trying to keep the discussion specifically about Led Zeppelin. I am well aware that Page's musical genius was responsible for a great deal of their success. I'm not going to repeat myself about Plant. However, I don't believe that Plant thinks he is bigger than Zeppelin. His solo work doens't compare & I think he knows it. However he has to live his life how he wishes to live it & not according to some sort of myth.

I think it should be remembered that Zeppelin broke up in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    A lot of what you say here comes straight from this thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=4564

I was trying to keep the discussion specifically about Led Zeppelin. I am well aware that Page's musical genius was responsible for a great deal of their success. I'm not going to repeat myself about Plant. However, I don't believe that Plant thinks he is bigger than Zeppelin. His solo work doens't compare & I think he knows it. However he has to live his life how he wishes to live it & not according to some sort of myth.

I think it should be remembered that Zeppelin broke up in 1980.
    Forgot about that thread. My bad in that case.

personally I'm not sure that many people would like to see JPJ, JP and Jason Bonham touring with some other singer even if they didn't call it Led Zeppelin, I'd guess a lot of people would feel like Fp and me about tarnishing the legacy with a new version of the band

Concerning Plant and "lead singer's syndrome" I'd say he had that to some extent during the seventies and in a way still does but it's not only lead singers who are over rated and big headed. Show me a rock star who doesn't suffer from "over developed ego -syndrome". Now that we are labeling these behavioral flaws, how about (lead)guitarist's syndrome for control freak drama queens like Page and Pete Townshend or money hungry attention wh*res like Felder and Brian Jones or clowning nut cases who couldn't take it like Walsh, Keith Richards and Syd Barrett.(fortunately Joe came to his senses enough to stay alive and be happier)
    Last edited by bluefeather; 11-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
    personally I'm not sure that many people would like to see JPJ, JP and Jason Bonham touring with some other singer even if they didn't call it Led Zeppelin, I'd guess a lot of people would feel like Fp and me about tarnishing the legacy with a new version of the band

Concerning Plant and "lead singer's syndrome" I'd say he had that to some extent during the seventies and in a way still does but it's not only lead singers who are over rated and big headed. Show me a rock star who doesn't suffer from "over developed ego -syndrome". Now that we are labeling these behavioral flaws, how about (lead)guitarist's syndrome for control freak drama queens like Page and Pete Townshend or money hungry attention wh*res like Felder and Brian Jones or clowning nut cases who couldn't take it like Walsh, Keith Richards and Syd Barrett.(fortunately Joe came to his senses enough to stay alive and be happier)
    I'm sorry but You are completely and utterly wrong about Page. Nothing I've heard from him in interviews even suggests Ego.

I'm gonna have to say I disagree. I think people would go nuts to see JP, JPJ, and Jason Bonham with a new singer in a new band. I mean, look when Jimmy Page played with the Black Crowes...HUGE SUCESS. Everyone loved it.

Of course guitarists and drummers can have egos but from what I've seen, nothing like lead singers.

I still say that people put way too much faith and credit in the frontman, and not near enough on the band. I might just resurrect that thread FP reminded me of. It's a topic I could talk forever on and try to keep this thread more on topic. I suggest anyone who wants to talk lead singer vs the rest of the band continue it over there.