Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: It's Been A Long Time, Been A Long Time....

I can't imagine this without Robert Plant. They are and always have been one of my fave bands, and I can't even fathom another singer singing those songs. Don't know how they could ever pull that off. Then again I didn't think they would ever do it without Bonzo either but it did work out there-so who knows!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I can't fathom a Zeppelin tour without Page or Plant - it just doesn't seem right. But, I do remember saying the same thing not too long ago about seeing Journey without Steve Perry, and they seem to have found an incredible replacement for him. However, I still think this is different - Zeppelin is in an elite league with only a few other bands that I just don't think should ever consider replacing their key members i.e. Jaggar/Richards and Henley/Frey if you know what I mean.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, I think the same way. For some reason, I don't really want to see some bands without the main members as in Henley/Frey, Page/Plant, or Jagger/Richards. It just would not be the same.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I have heard these rumours and I am utterly dismayed by them.

It was bad enough when David Coverdale replaced Ian Gillan in Deep Purple, but at least they put out new material (starting with the Burn album). And let's face it, Gillan is more a shouter than a singer. It wasn't that much of a stretch to replace him.

Plant has one of the most distinctive voices and stage presence in music. Furthermore, he wrote those lyrics. There is only one person who could sing Stairway, or Kashmir, or Trampled Underfoot, or Black Dog, or Whole Lotta Love.

This is even worse than the Queen/Paul Rodgers thing. We are talking about THE highest level here. The only other bands at the level of Led Zeppelin are the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Eagles. That is it.

I heard this yesterday. I think people will go to see them because it's Zep, but it seems a travesty to tour with Robert Plant. It's a completely different ball game from Queen, Journey, Boston and the like where the lead singer is no longer around.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I have heard these rumours and I am utterly dismayed by them.

It was bad enough when David Coverdale replaced Ian Gillan in Deep Purple, but at least they put out new material (starting with the Burn album). And let's face it, Gillan is more a shouter than a singer. It wasn't that much of a stretch to replace him.

Plant has one of the most distinctive voices and stage presence in music. Furthermore, he wrote those lyrics. There is only one person who could sing Stairway, or Kashmir, or Trampled Underfoot, or Black Dog, or Whole Lotta Love.

This is even worse than the Queen/Paul Rodgers thing. We are talking about THE highest level here. The only other bands at the level of Led Zeppelin are the Beatles, Rolling Stones and the Eagles. That is it.
    I agree completely.

I'm sure there will be lots who go, but I won't.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Personally, I won't believe this is going to happen until I see it.

But, if it does, I agree - I'm not interesting in seeing them even if they come to my hometown.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I applaud Plant for taking some risks with his solo career. We have most of his solo albums and there are some excellent songs on them (a couple of favourites - Big Log, Tall Cool One, Heaven Knows, Hurtin' Kind, 29 Palms, his version of If I Were A Carpenter, Freedom Fries, Tie Die On The Highway).

We have a bootleg of one of his shows with Alison Krauss. They do Black Dog REALLY SLOW and swampy (yes, a bit like the revised version of Smuggler's Blues). I'm afraid the novelty value disappeared for me after one hearing. Black Dog is supposed to be fast, furious and LOUD.

I can see why he would be reluctant to do this given that he is perfectly happy with his solo work. All the more reason, then, why Page and Jones should leave it alone.

I feel quite strongly about this. I came late to Led Zeppelin. They were a bit too 'difficult' for me while they were still together. I probably didn't really start to appreciate them until Page and Plant did the Unledded tour (WHICH WE SAW). The range and style of the music they did is astonishing. Everything from the early hard rock and blues of Whole Lotta Love through to gentle folk (Going To California), country (Hot Dog), power ballads (All My Love, Fool In The Rain) and songs that can only be described as anthems for several generations (the whole of IV, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, Immigrant Song, Achilles Last Stand - I mean really, need I go on?

There were a couple of suggestions for replacements on the Rolling Stone site yesterday - Steven Tyler (seriously), Geddy Lee (!!!) and - er - David Lee Roth. If it has to happen an unknown would be the only way to do it, but it should not happen.

Border Desperado

Nobody should be able to call themselves Led Zeppelin without
    Robert Plant on the vocals, pure and simple. I wonder how much
    of this is posturing on the other members part to get Plant to
    commit to a tour?

I had the pleasure of seeing this legendary band in concert back
    in 1971....it's a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. I so
    wished that a reunion would happen so I could see them one more
    time. However, I want everyone on board, including Plant. It's the
    only way to go.

I'm still hoping all the pieces will eventually fall into place. Hey, I can
    dream, can't I?

Rick
    "It's only Rock and Roll, but I like it"

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

There were a couple of suggestions for replacements on the Rolling Stone site yesterday - Steven Tyler (seriously), Geddy Lee (!!!) and - er - David Lee Roth. If it has to happen an unknown would be the only way to do it, but it should not happen.
    They've got to be kidding!!!! There is no way they can replace Robert!! Don't get me wrong--I love Steven Tyler and Geddy Lee, and I have gained some respect for David Lee since reading his book-but seriously... what are people thinking?
    He sings it high, he plays it low