Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Default Celebration of "The Allnighter"

I know it's hard to believe, but Glenn released The Allnighter 25 years ago today. While I don't think it's his best work, the unforgettable "Smuggler's Blues" is on there - my personal favorite. I also really enjoy "I Got Love." I've grown to appreciate "Lover's Moon" and "New Love" as well - sweet simplicity. I think "Lover's Moon" is absolutely timeless. Indeed, when I first heard it, I assumed Glenn was covering an old standard. I was very surprised to see it was new original work when I looked on the album credits!

To celebrate, I mined YouTube (although some of the videos are also on GFO):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGqii46fKYw"]Sexy Girl[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tBLoPiRczo"]Smuggler's Blues[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43njsqlVxA"]Lover's Moon (fan video)[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: "The Allnighter" album turns 25!

Yay!!!!! It's the same age as me!!!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

The Allnighter is 25 today - that is hard to believe! It is probably my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums, but it definitely has some fine moments. However, it, unfortunately, has some weak moments as well. My favorite tracks are Smuggler's Blues (very awesome), the title track (very hot and sexy), and I Got Love (very catchy melody).

Sexy Girl is one of those songs that I find okay - the cute video actually helps make the song more likable. I like Lover's Moon, but I personally think the melody is a little bland. Better in the USA is catchy, even if the lyrics aren't the most polished (nice sweater, baby). I think New Love is one of Glenn's weaker ballads - just doesn't do much for me.

But, as I have said before, it's the falsetto that brings the album down for me. IMO, Somebody Else and Living in Darkness would both be better songs if sung in Glenn's normal register. I love the music in Somebody Else. As far as Let's Go Home - the falsetto kills this song. IMO, if Glenn had sung the entire song in the same deep, throaty voice he uses in the "Let's Go Home" line, this would be an incredibly gorgeous, sexy song. I believe it would rank up there with the best of his solo work. When I try to visualize Glenn singing the song with his deep, vulnerable, smooth voice, my mind wanders to incredible places. If a man wants me to go home with him, I want him to ask me like a real man, not in a whiny, high-pitched, plaintiff wail.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

OK. Be warned - this will be long. I still remember when I bought the album. Memories!

It is, however, ranked third out of the four (!!! when, WHEN is this number ever going to increase) solo albums for me. But the songs which drag it down for me aren't the same as Dreamer's.

The Allnighter - incredibly pulsating and very sexy. Dig all those whispered 'yeahs'. He plays some excellent guitar on it too, lest we forget. I honestly believe it would still go down well if played live.

Sexy Girl - hmmm. It is well constructed. The bridge is the highlight. BUT. BUT. I still find the song extremely hard to defend. I did not want Glenn to paint himself into a corner the way he seemed to with this song. If only he'd cut out the repetitive backing vocals which also mar It's Cold In Here and (to a lesser extent) Partytown.

I Got Love - this is so slight, it barely registers. He is a better songwriter than this and he knows it. I still cringe at 'if it ain't all honey/still it's right on the money'. Really.

Somebody Else - this is where Dreamer & I part company. I absolutely love this and I love the way he sings it, the way he purrs his way through it. I love listening to his phrasing and the emotion he pours into it.

Lover's Moon - this is an almost classical sounding song which has grown in stature and which SHOULD have been included in Hell Freezes Over (for those who don't know it was performed during rehearsals). Very simple but deeply affecting. 'I know she's waiting'. Yes, Glenn.

Smuggler's Blues - utter masterpiece which I was lucky enough to see the Eagles perform in 1995. It is still urgent, still timely and it still rocks.

Let's Go Home - oh, Dreamer, you say his voice is 'whiny' here! I'm sorry, but it sweeps me away every single time. Yes, it is a good moment when he descends to his normal register (wanna tell you how much I miss you baby) but is what happens to me whenever I hear it.

Better In The USA - If you can't say something nice.... WHY?! All I will say is it improves slightly when it gets to the 'nobody's perfect' verse (quite). But the spoken part just ruins it. I do not know why he does this. Even in Big Life he had to insert a spoken part.

Living In Darkness - I suppose I am in a minority but this is one of the most innovative and exciting things he's ever done. The falsetto here is clear and pure. The bridge is sung in his normal voice and is just wonderful. I am not going to speculate on who the song might be about.

New Love - for years I thought this was terminally bland, but the black backing singers give it a soulful dimension. He can do better, though.

I have to say I'm with Dreamer when it comes to the falsetto. I'm still mystified as to why Glenn did so much of that on the Allnighter, especially when songs like "After Hours," which he sings in his rich and evocative natural voice, apparently got nixed in favor of songs like "Somebody Else" and "Living in Darkness" (sorry FP, I'm with Dreamer here too). Maybe he was listening to a lot of Bee Gees music at the time.

One interesting thing about the Allnighter is that apparently it gave Glenn a chance to start workin' the sexy. He goes from looking like a frat boy on the No Fun Aloud cover to looking like a seductive fantasy man on The Allnighter sleeve. Nice.

In defense of "I Got Love" - yes, it's simplistic (athough I'm not sure how much Glenn had to do with the lyrics), but I love the way he uses horns to pep it up, and the tune brings a smile to my face. I give it a thumbs up.

Here's some live MP3s of Glenn performing songs from the album:

I Got Love (Del Mar 1985)

Better in the USA (Del Mar 1985)

Smuggler's Blues (Del Mar 1985)

Sexy Girl (Tokyo 1986)

The Allnighter (Tokyo 1986)

Lover's Moon (Osaka 1992)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I loved this version of "Lover's Moon"! I had never listened to it before. I liked the instrumentation much better in this version than the original, although I always loved the song. Does anyone know who played lead guitar on the live one?

GL - I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any video of that show. However, my guess is that Glenn himself or either Danny Grenier is playing the guitar there.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I Got Love - this is so slight, it barely registers. He is a better songwriter than this and he knows it. I still cringe at 'if it ain't all honey/still it's right on the money'. Really.
    FP - I think you know that I always respect everyone's right to their own opinion, but I have to say, I am dismayed by your comment here. I don't understand at all what you mean by "He is a better songwriter than this and he knows it." It sounds to me as if you are saying that Glenn intentionally wrote a sub-standard song. As Soda said, first of all, we don't really know whether the lyrics in the song are written by Jack Tempchin, Glenn, or both of them. Secondly, since you didn't comment on the music, I'm not sure what you think about that. I personally think the song is very catchy and enjoyable and, IMO, there are certainly a lot worse songs out there than this one.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 05-03-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Perhaps I should have phrased it this way: 'he is capable of writing better songs than this one'. I have to say that the live version of it is a distinct improvement on the original because it has more energy (the tune, that is. I ignore the lyrics). I maintain that it is an extremely minor piece of work.

But let me say that I totally agree with Soda's comments about the 'image change'. All I can say about that is.... yes.

And YES, 1,000,000 times, to 'After Hours should have been included' but Sexy Girl & Better In The USA should have been dropped, not Somebody Else & Living In Darkness. If I am alone in liking these songs that cannot be helped.

HAPPY BELATED 26th BIRTHDAY "THE ALLNIGHTER"!!!

Well, while I was away last week, "The Allnighter" celebrated its 26th birthday. I had prepared a review to post when I returned since I had never done a thorough song-by-song review of this album before. However, since there was no new thread started for it, I'll just revive this old one and post my thoughts here.

The Allnighter is my least favorite of all of Glenn's solo albums, but it definitely has a few fine moments. Unfortunately, it has some weaker moments as well, and half of the tracks on this album are probably no better than average, IMO. I’m also not crazy about the pace of this album. It needs some more rockers, or maybe it just seems that way because many of the songs on it don’t excite me enough. I guess it’s no accident that the more uptempo songs on this album are among my favorites. However, any discussion of this album always reverts back to two things for me. First of all, Mr. Frey absolutely pulls out all the stops on working the sexy here, and that damn sure works for me. Secondly, I think Glenn’s overuse of the falsetto vocals was an experiment gone bad, and brings down the overall effectiveness of this album. For me, there is just a huge disconnect between the overtly masculine sexy tone of this album and use of the falsetto in some of the songs. Here are my ratings of the songs in the order that I love/like them.

I Love It (5)

Smuggler's Blues (5) – This is a very awesome song – the lone real rocker and standout track on the entire album. The guitar work is and I love the story the song tells. I also love how the cadence and tempo are used to keep things interesting. The exciting and energetic way the lyrics and vocals are structured in the song keeps the listener (or at least, this listener) eagerly anticipating the next line.

The Allnighter (5) – This song is so very hot and sexy that my glasses steam up every time it plays. Yes, my mind does wander to incredible places whenever I hear it. But, for those of you who are inclined to believe that images that the lyrics conjure up is the only reason that I love the song, then you would be sadly mistaken. The pulsating music and guitar work are great and complement the sexy lyrics very well. The lyrics are actually very clever with all their imagery, double-meanings, and innuendo. However, Glenn’s efforts write this song in the third person is laughable. C’mon Glenn - who are you trying to kid … everybody knows that this is an autobiography.

I Got Love (5) – I love the very catchy melody, music, and vocals in this song. I can’t put my fingers on what it is, but it says something about a song when someone loves it even though they know it’s not supposed to be a great song. On the surface, it may appear to be average, but there is definitely just something about it. It gets stuck in your head, and won’t leave. Hmmm – maybe it really is a great song after all. It’s a really fun song with a refreshing and exhilarating vibe. Simply put, it just makes me feel good!

I Really Like It (4)

Let's Go Home (4) – I absolutely love everything about this song – the music (especially the incredible sax), the melody, the tempo, the lyrics EXCEPT the falsetto kills it. If Glenn had sung this song in his normal register, I believe it would rank up there among the best of his solo work. What a shame! Using the same deep, throaty voice throughout that he uses in the "Let's Go Home" line or the part after final verse would make this song incredibly melt-worthy. When I try to visualize Glenn singing this heartfelt song with his emotive, vulnerable, smooth, masculine voice, my mind wanders to incredible places (again). A man should ask a girl to go home with him like a real man, not in a whiny, high-pitched, plaintiff wail. That is a huge mood killer for me. I only have one question – “Why, Glenn?”

Lover's Moon (4) – I really like this very pretty song, but I personally think the melody and delivery are slightly bland, which keeps me from loving it. I prefer Glenn’s ballads where he EMOTES more as in I Volunteer than the more understated delivery that he uses here. Overall, I don’t think the ballads here are as strong as the majority of those on Strange Weather or No Fun Aloud.

I Like It (3)

Somebody Else (3) – Once again, why the falsetto here ??? I really love the bluesy music, as well as the lyrics and melody. But the vocals are just a huge distraction to an otherwise really great song. Glenn has enough vulnerability in his normal register to deliver this macho ultimatum in a way that isn’t overbearing or heavy-handed. Too bad he didn’t do that – it would have made the song so much more effective to me. I debated giving this a ‘4’ rating, and perhaps I would have if it were the only falsetto track. But I’m afraid the overuse of the falsetto on the album lessens its impact for me.

Sexy Girl (3) – This is one of those songs that I find okay – I actually love the bridge, but the rest of it is nothing more than ‘pleasant’. Actually, the more I think about it, I like the verses a lot too – it just the unmelodic, repetitive chorus and music that I’m not that fond of. The cute video actually helps make the song more enjoyable to me.

Better in the USA (3) – The song is catchy, even if the lyrics aren't the most polished and sophisticated (nice sweater, baby ) that Glenn ever wrote. I actually like a few of the lines such as “If we're so awful and we're so bad, you oughta check the night life in Leningrad”. The song is no better than average, but it does rock musically and OBTW – nice vocals, baby!

New Love (3) – This is one of Glenn's weaker ballads – it’s pretty, but just doesn't do much for me. The music, cadence, tempo, lyrics, and melody are all pretty uninspiring and flat, and ordinary. Of course, as is often the case, the vocals save it for me. I do think the bluesy background vocals add a little spark, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Living in Darkness (3) – I think this is simply Glenn’s worst vocal performance ever. The falsetto is strained, forced, and unnatural. However, to me, the vocals aren’t the only problem with this song. I really like the bridge, but it actually is so good, that it seems disjointed with the mundane melody of the verses and chorus. The music is uneven as well. However, I must admit that I do find the lyrics very intriguing, and agree that they could possibly be about Don, although there is no hard evidence to support this. It’s a shame the lyrics weren’t put to a better melody and music a la All Those Lies. This probably has the distinction of being my least favorite of Glenn’s solo songs. If not for the bridge and the lyrics, I would have actually given this a ‘2’ rating.

key:
    5 - I love it
    4 - I really like it
    3 - I like it
    2 - meh
    1 – yikes

Stuck on the Border

OK Dreamer - LID Glenn's 'worst vocal performance ever'? I disagree.

(So what is his 'worst vocal performance ever'? Honestly, there is not one I can name from his solo career. Sadly, I would have to name Teenage Jail otherwise).

As usual you have done such a good job of rating these songs that I am not sure I can improve but I will try. As you said this album reaches great heights but it also hits some inexplicable lows.

(NB I haven't read my previous post before I started writing this).

I Love It (5)

Smuggler's Blues - the song is a classic & has one of his best lyrics. Stunning slide guitar and he absolutely rocks it. I never tire of hearing him sing this, particularly the 'you see it in the headlines' verse.

Let's Go Home - Dreamer & I are in fundamental disagreement on the use of falsetto. I agree that it is overdone on the album and I agree that I prefer his normal register. Here when he gets to 'wanna tell you how much I miss you baby' in his normal authoritative tones that is the part you notice. But his voice is smooth and creamy. I love the song. I take issue to some extent with all the 'pleading', though, as we get the point quickly. As Dreamer said this has one of the best uses of sax in his solo canon.

The Allnighter - how I love this smoky, sultry descrption of a lonely woman's quest for the perfect man..... It is brilliantly structured with compelling guitar work. 'He's the satisfier of that one desire'... quite.

Living In Darkness - I know exactly what Dreamer is saying about this, but I feel the opposite. I am overwhelmed by the way he sings this, although I agree that the bridge is by far the strongest part. I don't like the spoken 'nowhere to hide' part. He once called it 'my Prince tune'. The synthesizers make it quite different from the majority of his solo work..

I Really Like It (4)

Lover's Moon - this is a sleeper. I thought it was bland, too, for years and years, until I heard the HFO outtake which has one of the rawest and most vulnerable vocals ever. The melody is almost classically baroque (influenced by the Everly Brothers' Let It Be Me) and I personally identify with all the 'I know she's waiting' stuff.

Somebody Else - this chugs along at a great rate. Again, I like the falsetto here. Again as with LGH there is a bit too much of the 'pleading' but the air of tension in the song, aided by the ubiquitous sax, makes it compelling listening.

I Like It (3)

New Love - more of the same lyrically but the backing vocals give it a dimension it would not have had otherwise. It's OK, nothing more than that.

I Got Love - some of these song titles are not the most inspired. There is a live version of this which beats the recorded version to shreds, and that has somewhat improved my opinion of this lightweight effort. I do like all the 'jumped on the freeway' stuff but he's written similar, better songs (Ain't It Love).

Meh (2)

Sexy Girl - it has actually improved over the years but it remains one of my two least favourite solo songs. If the entire song had been like the bridge it actually could have been a great song. But it isn't.

Better In The USA- I cannot relate to this in any way, shape or form, and it is so tied to the Reagan era that when I hear it I just shake my head. All I will say about it is that it has a decent groove and the lyrics improve slightly once we get to the 'drivin' on a beach' part. But then he had to put that spoken bit in. No comment.