Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

I had this CD years ago, but I sold it because I had money problems and I didn't care for it.
    I decided to buy it again and I ordered it via e-Bay. I just received it today. I've been listening to it, and I have to say that it's, much, much, much, much, much, much better than I remembered.
    Even Better In The U.S.A. works when I think of it like it was a Randy Newman song - a joke song, but not without affection underneath. The "riff" is dumb, but in a hilarious way - perfect for this lyric.
    Last edited by chaim; 02-06-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I love the songs New Love, Smuggler's Blues, Sexy Girl and The Allnighter. I think that's the only song I've ever heard. Its time to listen to his albums on Spotify.
    Back when it was originally released, I got to hear 6 songs from The Allnighter, on the local pop music radio station here in the UK, during a single Mike Shaft Evening Radio Show, plus lots of repeat plays over the following week.

Somebody Else, Sexy Girl, I Got Love, New Love, Lovers Moon and Let's Go Home all sounded fantastic. . (No Smuggler's Blues) The two sax tracks, Let's Go Home and Somebody Else sounded extra special.

This would be the original release before it was re-released with mega-hit, The Heat Is On replacing Living In Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaim
    Even Better In The U.S.A. works when I think of it like it was a Randy Newman song
    Great idea Chaim!

I used to love singing along with Better In The USA until the offensiveness of the lyrics got the better of me.

It could've been a contender. So much better than Party Town.....

Has anybody heard Alice Cooper's, I Love America?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Back when it was originally released, I got to hear 6 songs from The Allnighter, on the local pop music radio station here in the UK, during a single Mike Shaft Evening Radio Show, plus lots of repeat plays over the following week.

Somebody Else, Sexy Girl, I Got Love, New Love, Lovers Moon and Let's Go Home all sounded fantastic. . (No Smuggler's Blues) The two sax tracks, Let's Go Home and Somebody Else sounded extra special.

This would be the original release before it was re-released with mega-hit, The Heat Is On replacing Living In Darkness.

Great idea Chaim!

I used to love singing along with Better In The USA until the offensiveness of the lyrics got the better of me.

It could've been a contender. So much better than Party Town.....

Has anybody heard Alice Cooper's, I Love America?
    "I gratuated, but I ain't too bright". Yeah, I Love America is hysterical. I love Alice.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I had this CD years ago, but I sold it because I had money problems and I didn't care for it.
    I decided to buy it again and I ordered it via e-Bay. I just received it today. I've been listening to it, and I have to say that it's, much, much, much, much, much, much better than I remembered.
    Even Better In The U.S.A. works when I think of it like it was a Randy Newman song - a joke song, but not without affection underneath. The "riff" is dumb, but in a hilarious way - perfect for this lyric.
    You make a very interesting point here when you mention Mr Newman. I have never thought of this song in this way. Glenn is a huge Newman fan, as am I. Sadly, however, I feel that BITUSA is not a joke, or ironic, or anytihng like I Love LA & It's Money That Matters. It seems that Glenn got caught up in the jingoistic spirit of the Reagan years. That was his right, of course, but I can barely listen to the song. And the spoken part at the end just makes it so much worse.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I swear there's something wrong with me...I always liked Better in the USA. Mostly, I'll admit, because it's so easy to dance to. I have it on my workout CDs, and you can dance the 50's dances to it, which makes it fun and not so much like exercise.

Also, given where we were in the early and mid 80's, and the things going on in the Cold War, I liked the statement it made. Maybe because I worked in the defense industry I paid more attention to things, but there were a lot of people right here in our own country who criticized our part in it. There were a lot of people here who blamed our part in it for Russia backing out of the 84 Olympics, and of course the US backing out of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. We drew a lot of criticism from our own people over a lot of things, and so to me, this was a fun song that brought up some good points.

As for the spoken parts at the end, I don't see what's so deplorable about those, either.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I swear there's something wrong with me...I always liked Better in the USA. Mostly, I'll admit, because it's so easy to dance to. I have it on my workout CDs, and you can dance the 50's dances to it, which makes it fun and not so much like exercise.

Also, given where we were in the early and mid 80's, and the things going on in the Cold War, I liked the statement it made. Maybe because I worked in the defense industry I paid more attention to things, but there were a lot of people right here in our own country who criticized our part in it. There were a lot of people here who blamed our part in it for Russia backing out of the 84 Olympics, and of course the US backing out of the 1980 Olympics in Moscow. We drew a lot of criticism from our own people over a lot of things, and so to me, this was a fun song that brought up some good points.

As for the spoken parts at the end, I don't see what's so deplorable about those, either.
    It's the 'nice sweater, baby/what do you say you & me go for a little drive' bit. It makes me cringe.

I could list what annoys me about the song but it's best as you say to see it as a bit of fun. If Americans like it, that's good.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-06-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It's the 'nice sweater, baby/what do you say you & me go for a little drive' bit. It makes me cringe.

I could list what annoys me about the song but it's best as you say to see it as a bit of fun. If Americans like it, that's good.
    I'm not sure how most people feel about it, I've never discussed it with anyone.

As for the line at the end, I usually grin when I hear it and shout 'yes!'
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Good on you, chaim for your reacquisition! This isn't my favorite Glenn solo album by far, but it definitely has some good moments.

And I agree with VA about Better In the USA. While I don't think it's nearly as good as Partytown, I do get a kick out of listening to it. I enjoy it as the shallow, light-hearted little romp that it is intended to be. I figure it's good for the soul for me to be so easily entertained.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I wasn't aware that there are two versions of this album. I have a version where Living in the Darkness is replaced with The Heat Is On. I must get the other version.

Whenever Glenn says something about some issue (Better In The USA, for example), it's a "Frey/Tempchin" song. It seems that, no matter what the issue is, Glenn and Jack think alike.

VA, I agree with your opinion as well. I enjoy it. As you said, consider the times when it was written. Even though I find a bit of humour in it, it has it's serious side as well with lyrics referring to the Cold War.