Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Default Re: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I don’t get why his solo career can’t be discussed without Don being brought into play. It’s not like everytime Don’s solo career comes up they have to mention Glenn’s. It’s not fair. I do prefer the hits of Don’s career but I think Glenn’s albums have much more depth and are more solid from top to bottom.
    I will agree with this except for preferring Don's hits over Glenn Frey's. I think Smugglers Blues, The Heat is On were phenomenal as were some of Don's but in the end they were two different guys with two different personalities, talents, likes and interests. Wish the critics understood at least that much.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Here is an article about the album.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-allnighter/

Once again, however, comparisons MUST be made with Henley, who apparently 'upped the ante'. It also appears to imply that the Frey & Tempchin partnership started with this album when in fact it began with No Fun Aloud.

NOTE: This article was also quoted a couple of pages back in this thread. It would be nice if the UCR website would come up with updated information.
    Whoever wrote that also needs to hire an editor. Geez...

I've said it before: if you're a Paul McCartney fan, you hear the same darn thing over and over about his music being plastic and shallow while John was the artiste -- the GENIUS!

It's all very tiring. Glenn knew his strengths were in writing good songs people want to sing. Don can write good songs, too. However, when Glenn made a social point, it was usually more subtle and not preachy. Plus he helped a lot of people and organizations and just never made a big deal of it. There's no telling how many people got a check and had no idea where it came from. I'm not saying Don doesn't give to charity or anything like that at all. I'm just saying Glenn was quiet about it.

For some reason, some people always equate preachy with genius. Genius comes in many forms and sometimes it lies in being able to connect with people and write songs that make them feel better about how their day is going. None is superior to the other.

But, to bring it around back to topic, I still like this album. It's a solid work and except for just one or two songs, I listen to it all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I will agree with this except for preferring Don's hits over Glenn Frey's. I think Smugglers Blues, The Heat is On were phenomenal as were some of Don's but in the end they were two different guys with two different personalities, talents, likes and interests. Wish the critics understood at least that much.
    Oh definitely. In terms of solo career, they just aren’t comparable except for the fact they were a major song writing duo in the same band.

Oh definitely, I like Glenn’s hits but I have a just prefer Don’s. But in terms for solo career they just aren’t comparable except for the fact they were a major song writing duo in the same band.
    I understand, no worries. They did their own thing with their solo albums and other endeavors which underscored their individualism and unique personalities. Critics should stay away from drawing any comparisons ... and dear Pippin makes a good point when you get down to it - none is superior to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I've said it before: if you're a Paul McCartney fan, you hear the same darn thing over and over about his music being plastic and shallow while John was the artiste -- the GENIUS!

It's all very tiring. Glenn knew his strengths were in writing good songs people want to sing. Don can write good songs, too. However, when Glenn made a social point, it was usually more subtle and not preachy. Plus he helped a lot of people and organizations and just never made a big deal of it. There's no telling how many people got a check and had no idea where it came from. I'm not saying Don doesn't give to charity or anything like that at all. I'm just saying Glenn was quiet about it.

For some reason, some people always equate preachy with genius. Genius comes in many forms and sometimes it lies in being able to connect with people and write songs that make them feel better about how their day is going. None is superior to the other.

But, to bring it around back to topic, I still like this album. It's a solid work and except for just one or two songs, I listen to it all the way through.
    Well said!

@Dawn-- Thank you!

Stuck on the Border

Oh definitely. In terms of solo career, they just aren’t comparable except for the fact they were a major song writing duo in the same band.
    But because they were in the same band, they are always compared, just as Lennon/McCartney & Gabriel/Collins were. And inevitably, the comparison always favours Henley just as it does Lennon & Gabriel.

I do wish Glenn had written more 'serious' songs on his first couple of albums but he didn't want to. He wanted to enjoy himself & also pay tribute to the music he grew up with.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post

Amen Pippin - Agree 100%. Although, Glenn did not help himself when he constantly talked about hoping to one day be a good a song writer as Don. I can't tell you how many times I remember reading it in an interview. He never gave himself enough credit for his song writing or guitar playing, IMHO.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Amen Pippin - Agree 100%. Although, Glenn did not help himself when he constantly talked about hoping to one day be a good a song writer as Don. I can't tell you how many times I remember reading it in an interview. He never gave himself enough credit for his song writing or guitar playing, IMHO.

Or his singing.