Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    UCR's take on the 31st anniversary of The Allnighter:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-allnighter/

They say the success of it compared to his other albums had to do with having Jack Tempchin as co-writer. Ummm...
    liner notes are good for a reason!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

I'm surprised The Allnighter was more successful than Strange Weather. He did a lot more promo for Strange Weather.
    I presume releasing The Allnighter twice, with and without his greatest solo hit; The Heat Is On gave it the edge.

I still listen to Lovers Moon and Somebody Else a lot. Smuggler's Blues, Let's Go Home and New Love not quite so much. The title track is the only track I've never cared for.

I think the extended version of The Heat Is On, with it's pounding intro is a tonne better than the regular version.

It was fantastic experience to hear The Eagles perform The Heat Is On. I thought it'd be too keyboardie for them but I've learned they've got the chops to play anything.... and then some.

Stuck on the Border

Beverly Hills Cop and Miami Vice must have given Glenn huge exposure. If he'd followed up fairly quickly with an album as good as Strange Weather, maybe it would have sold millions.

It's not my favorite album, but it contains one of my favorite songs of his, "Smuggler's Blues." Interestingly, his biggest hits of the era - "You Belong to the City" and "The Heat Is On" - weren't on it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Happy 31st Birthday to The Allnighter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's not my favorite album, but it contains one of my favorite songs of his, "Smuggler's Blues." Interestingly, his biggest hits of the era - "You Belong to the City" and "The Heat Is On" - weren't on it.
    The Allnighter was re-released in Europe with The Heat Is On replacing Living In Darkness.

I bought the original The Allnighter LP and The Heat Is On on 12" single. I think I've got a CD with extra tracks on too.

At an Eagles concert, Glenn told us that You Belong To The City was kept off the number one spot by Starship's We Built This City. WBTC was a huge hit in the UK. YBTTC was not.

So close and yet so far! Still, #2 is nothing to sneeze at. No other Eagle has reached that height with solo material.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I will never understand how We Built this City topped YBTTC.

I've always disliked WBTC since I first heard itm
    -Kim-

I just now realized that I forgot to rank the songs:

Ratings:
    5- love it
    4-great
    3-good
    2 - meh
    1 - sucks

1. Smuggler's Blues 5++. My favorite Glenn solo song. Near the end, when he does that really deep, growly "Smuggler's Blues", my heart does this and I do this . Also, the video is a big part of what made me say "who is this hot man?".

2. The Allnighter 4.5. Love the rainy, thundering intro, very catchy, mysterious beat and i love the guitar solo.

3. Lovers Moon 4, nice beautiful ballad, even if it is more simple than some of his other ballads.

4. Better in the USA- 3.5, ok, some of the lyrics are cringe-worthy, especially in today's world, but I love the upbeat music music. It reminds me of R.O.C.K in the USA by John Mellencamp

5. Somebody Else 3.5, nice sax and a great song, minus the falsetto

6. I Got Love 3, maybe 3.5, it's nice and upbeat, but not memorable

7. New Love. 3, good, but I'm not crazy about it. The intro reminds me of another song, She's Gone- Hall and Oates

8. Sexy Girl 3, same as New Love. Good, but not my type of song

9. Let's Go Home 3, not a bad song, but I don't like the falsetto. It would've been much better if he had sung it normally

10. Living in Darkness 2.5, I can deal with the falsetto on Somebody Else and can tolerate it on Let's Go Home, but it's the worst on this song. He sounds like Michael Jackson, and I don't like that!

Overall, I agree with the majority. Probably Glenn's most dated and meh solo album overall. Except for the most excellent Smuggler's Blues and the title track, I can't understand why this is Glenn's most popular album!
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 06-21-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    -Kim-

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for your thoughts, AG. And as they always say, better late than never ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE ALLNIGHTER!!!

I think this album benefited from being the followup to Glenn's moderately successful debut album, No Fun Aloud. Even though NFA wasn't as commercially successful, I believe it was because it was Glenn's debut solo album and a big departure from his work with the Eagles. But, I think most folks think that NFA turned out to be a very good album, so when The Allnighter came along, the public was eager to hear more. My feeling is that it would have even been a huge success if it had equaled NFA in quality.

And, as far as You Belong To the City being edged out of the top spot by the significantly inferior, We Built This City, I just shake my head and wonder why. I'm thinking Glenn must too since he's mentioned it on more than one occasion.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016